G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

El Camino / Sprint LEAKY AIR SHOCKS, SWITCH TO CONVENTIONAL?

3 posters

Go down

El Camino / Sprint LEAKY AIR SHOCKS, SWITCH TO CONVENTIONAL? Empty El Camino / Sprint LEAKY AIR SHOCKS, SWITCH TO CONVENTIONAL?

Post by relic7680 Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:44 pm

I installed a set of rear air adjustable shocks (Monroe MA762) on my '76 GMC Sprint roughly 2.5 years ago and the car sits in storage 98% of the time. I know these cars were originally equipped with such shocks from new. At the same time, I also installed a pair of Moog 5399 heavy duty, constant rate rear springs.

The car will not achieve level ride height unless the shocks are pressurized to at least 65 psi (max recommended pressure unloaded per glove box instructions). THEY HAVE LEAKED SINCE INSTALLATION. I had them to 65 psi a week ago and today they were at 25 psi. I went under the car with glass cleaner and sprayed all the connection points in the system, but found no leaks.

All I want to do is get my ride height level and not have to constantly air the rear shocks. I do not tow or haul with the car. I know conventional rear non-adjustable shocks are available. Has anybody else had this issue? Should I just swap to conventional rears? KYB # 343157 Excel-G on Rock Auto have in the description that they are replacements for the adjustables. Thanks in advance.
relic7680
relic7680
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

El Camino / Sprint LEAKY AIR SHOCKS, SWITCH TO CONVENTIONAL? Empty Re: El Camino / Sprint LEAKY AIR SHOCKS, SWITCH TO CONVENTIONAL?

Post by 77camino Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:17 pm

I do not have air shocks on my El Camino. They were replaced with regular shocks by the previous owner. I do not know the part number. Everything seems fine without them.

My dad has had a set of air shocks on an old car for 40+ years. A few years ago they started leaking, all I did is unhooked all the fittings, cut off about a inch of the line and reconnected the fittings. It has been holding pressure ever since.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

El Camino / Sprint LEAKY AIR SHOCKS, SWITCH TO CONVENTIONAL? Empty Re: El Camino / Sprint LEAKY AIR SHOCKS, SWITCH TO CONVENTIONAL?

Post by Joe73 Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:16 am

My chevelle had air shocks when I bought it in '82. They leaked air every so often. I did the same thing as 77camino. Cut off about an inch and reinstall. Worked fine.

But if I were you, I'd get rid of the air shocks. Get the get the correct springs and normal shocks and you will be fine. I recommend "heavy duty" springs. It might be a little high in the beginning but will settle down after some time.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

El Camino / Sprint LEAKY AIR SHOCKS, SWITCH TO CONVENTIONAL? Empty Air Shocks

Post by relic7680 Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:45 am

Joe73 wrote:My chevelle had air shocks when I bought it in '82.  They leaked air every so often.  I did the same thing as 77camino.  Cut off about an inch and reinstall.  Worked fine.

But if I were you, I'd get rid of the air shocks.  Get the get the correct springs and normal shocks and you will be fine.  I recommend "heavy duty" springs.  It might be a little high in the beginning but will settle down after some time.

I installed the Moog 5399, which was billed as an "HD" spring, and the rear of the car sits low without help from the air shocks. The car literally jumped up when I first pressurized the shocks. My worry is that swapping the regular shocks will still result in a low condition.....
relic7680
relic7680
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:56 am

Yes it will sit low when you put conventional shocks back there.

Springs give you the ride height and carrying capacity. Shocks give you dampening. Alot of guys, back in the day, used air shocks to jack up the rear and not get the correct springs.

Your 5399 are listed as the correct springs for your car. Hopefully the box wasnt mismarked or the springs switched.

Either way, I'd get conventional shocks. But you need to get info on your springs to see if they are correct.

Here is the specs on the 5399 springs. I'd get under there with a tape measure and measure your installed height. Then pop the spring out and measure "free Height". Then measure spring diameter. See if your springs match the Moog specs here....

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/universal_coil_springs.asp
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by relic7680 Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:37 pm

Just installed the Moog 5399 set I got from Rock Auto and they brought the rear of the car up. Jury is still out on the air shocks after my "repair"....put 20 pounds in them for now.
relic7680
relic7680
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down