Horns?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Horns?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:43 pm

I don't have any. @#$%
Fooling around in the garage this morning-Electrical stuff- Hit the horn. i can hear the relay click-start looking for the horns to tap on 'em---there ain't any---gone--- found the wiring-no horn or horns.

Are there two? I know some G3s came with one and some with two.
Where would I look for the mounting point or points-Looked in the grill and inside the fenders...nothing.
I've got a couple of Furd horns I can use, but don't know where to mount 'em.

tried a forum search and didn't see anything.
avatar
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by Limey SE on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:23 pm

mine were mounted inside the core support in front of the radiator kinda one each side

___________________________________________
avatar
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 90

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:45 pm

ok-I'll check there for brackets-gracias
avatar
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by Limey SE on Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:59 pm

the bracket is on the horn itself and attaches to the core support if I remember right

___________________________________________
avatar
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 90

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by 1973 454 MONTE on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:06 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:I don't have any. @#$%
Fooling around in the garage this morning-Electrical stuff- Hit the horn. i can hear the relay click-start looking for the horns to tap on 'em---there ain't any---gone--- found the wiring-no horn or horns.

Are there two? I know some G3s came with one and some with two.
Where would I look for the mounting point or points-Looked in the grill and inside the fenders...nothing.
I've got a couple of Furd horns I can use, but don't know where to mount 'em.

tried a forum search and didn't see anything.

the montes came with one or two. if it had one than it was on the driver side behind the grill.if it had two,then there was one on the inside of the driver fender and one behind the grill.
avatar
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 35

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by 74MonteCarlo on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:45 pm

Hey Road, I have a G3 horn, single horn for a 73 Laguna. You're welcome to it to have it original instead of that FoMoCo junk =P

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by ant7377 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:16 pm

Anyone know why mine just do not work sometimes? I think it has something to do with the steering wheel pad.
avatar
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by bigredlaguna on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:04 pm

ant7377 wrote:Anyone know why mine just do not work sometimes? I think it has something to do with the steering wheel pad.

That is probably just the contact ring being dirty or corroded. If you change the position of your wheel and it works, then either clean or replace the contact in the column.
avatar
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by ant7377 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:39 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:
ant7377 wrote:Anyone know why mine just do not work sometimes? I think it has something to do with the steering wheel pad.

That is probably just the contact ring being dirty or corroded. If you change the position of your wheel and it works, then either clean or replace the contact in the column.

Easy enough ! Thanks!
avatar
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:31 pm

74MonteCarlo wrote:Hey Road, I have a G3 horn, single horn for a 73 Laguna. You're welcome to it to have it original instead of that FoMoCo junk =P

Ha! Thanks, but hang on to yours, you might need it.

I fooled around with it a littel bit. My 75 chevelle/monte diagram indicates a single horn and a single dark green wire feeding the horn-located the wire and hooked it to the new fomoco junk and....nothing, of course.
The relay is clicking, the wire looks fine and the fuse looks okay. I couldn't find anything in the fender that looked like a mounting point for a second horn, so I'm guessing that the Laguna came with a single self grounding horn fed by a single wire.
What am I forgetting/missing?
avatar
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by bigredlaguna on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Did you put a meter on it to make sure there is power getting to the horn?
avatar
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:38 am

bigredlaguna wrote:Did you put a meter on it to make sure there is power getting to the horn?

Nah-mine isn't working, gonna go get one later, I'm betting the problem is the fuse or the power to the wire.
avatar
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by ant7377 on Mon May 10, 2010 7:17 pm

I got around to messing with the horn. It works fine sometimes and then sometimes I can hit the pad all over and it wont work or just get a toot here and there . I took off the pad and took out the little wire and spring in the
wheel (comes out easily enough) and it looks fine. Everything in there is clean
too. It dosent matter the positon of the wheel when it dosent work just dosent work.Anyone got anything?
avatar
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by Limey SE on Mon May 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:
bigredlaguna wrote:Did you put a meter on it to make sure there is power getting to the horn?

Nah-mine isn't working, gonna go get one later, I'm betting the problem is the fuse or the power to the wire.

ROADCAPTAIN LOOK AT BOTH PICS OF MY CAR YOU WILL SEE THE SECOND HORN IS JUST JUMPED OFF THE FIRST ONE AND ORIGINAL LOCATIONS



Last edited by Limey on Mon May 10, 2010 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

___________________________________________
avatar
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 90

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 on Mon May 10, 2010 7:34 pm

Did you try tapping at the horn itself?

I had two many years ago that just got gunked up inside from disuse, tapped 'em a few times with a screwdriver and....TOOT- just had to loosen up the gunk in there.
avatar
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 on Mon May 10, 2010 7:36 pm

Limey wrote:
Roadcaptain S3 wrote:
bigredlaguna wrote:Did you put a meter on it to make sure there is power getting to the horn?

Nah-mine isn't working, gonna go get one later, I'm betting the problem is the fuse or the power to the wire.

ROADCAPTAIN LOOK AT BOTH PICS OF MY CAR YOU WILL SEE THE SECOND HORN IS JUST JUMPED OFF THE FIRST ONE AND ORIGINAL LOCATIONS



That makes sense.....I'm going out there in a little while to see if i might have had a similar set-up

More SC 4 U!
avatar
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by HDHugger on Tue May 11, 2010 6:36 am

74MonteCarlo wrote:Hey Road, I have a G3 horn, single horn for a 73 Laguna. You're welcome to it to have it original instead of that FoMoCo junk =P

How much do you want for it and to ship it to Wisconsin? I have the same problem, I can hear the relay click, but no horn under the hood.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by ant7377 on Tue May 11, 2010 1:14 pm

They work, just not all the time and full blast too. Where is the relay ?Under the dash? Maybe its something there.
avatar
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by Limey SE on Tue May 11, 2010 1:49 pm

HDHugger wrote:
74MonteCarlo wrote:Hey Road, I have a G3 horn, single horn for a 73 Laguna. You're welcome to it to have it original instead of that FoMoCo junk =P

How much do you want for it and to ship it to Wisconsin? I have the same problem, I can hear the relay click, but no horn under the hood.

I do have the spare dual horn set up if you want the two horns HDHugger

___________________________________________
avatar
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 90

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by HDHugger on Tue May 11, 2010 1:52 pm

Limey, you got everything! Throw them on the list! What did you end up getting for the louvers?

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by Limey SE on Tue May 11, 2010 2:10 pm

I didn't I am gonna mod the cutlass to make them work

___________________________________________
avatar
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 90

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by 77malibu77 on Sat May 15, 2010 8:41 pm

ok my horn doesnt work
but today i was tightining my power steering belt and decided to try and get my horn working
i connected the green wires and turned the key on and it honked! but then tried to do it again and nothing
i turned the car off and disconnected the wires and pluged them back inand tried it again and it honked again, but then tried again and nothing


what is my problem???? its probably really simple lol
avatar
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by 77malibu77 on Sat May 15, 2010 8:41 pm

the relay?
avatar
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by bigredlaguna on Sun May 16, 2010 12:38 am

Did you happen to move the steering wheel between attempts? Sometimes the contact ring gets bad spots and doesn't let electricity flow.
avatar
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by Malicruiser on Sun May 16, 2010 3:58 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:Did you happen to move the steering wheel between attempts? Sometimes the contact ring gets bad spots and doesn't let electricity flow.
The same thing happened to me shortly after I first put my steering wheel on my chevelle, only my horn wouldn't shut off. When I pulled it off I found that one of the rubber isolators had broken off.
avatar
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Re: Horns?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum