G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gear drive vs Timing Chain

+8
The Dude
HDHugger
yogreasygramma
bigredlaguna
Limey SE
74Malibu383
Famstyle
coreys73chevelle
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Gear drive vs Timing Chain Empty Gear drive vs Timing Chain

Post by The Dude Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:48 pm

OK, so I've noticed most people have preferences whether they like timing chains or gear drives. Most of us have these preferences because of the sound or lack thereof. I want to know though, which is really better? Can someone give me REAL PROOF that gear drives really do kill horsepower or that there is even a noticeable difference? I've seen a lot of "internet heroes" that preach about harmonics in the engine & power losses that come with gear drives, but check every forum you want & no one gives a real reason where they found out about this. One day did some guy that dislikes gear drives spout this off & it has become an ironclad rule or is there truth to this? I wouldn't think this would even be a problem or concern with non-fuel injected motors, but maybe I'm wrong. I have been before.

I do know gear drives are more accurate. I know that Tru-rollers are better than your average timing chain due to the roller design. I know that timing belts honestly provide more power simply based on the fact of weighing less.This all should be common sense. Can someone show me some dyno charts proving the power loss or gain between a timing chain & a gear drive? Even better someone show me what bad harmonics does for an engine. I personally haven't seen a motor blow or wear out solely due to a gear drive, but I have seen a gear driven 350 pull a bus around dependably for 3 years & it's still running great. I've also seen the catastrophe of a broken timing belt on an interference motor pale , but that's another story. I know this sounds kind of one-sided, but I'm seriously gonna be open minded, especially if someone shows me hard facts. Thumbs up
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Gear drive vs Timing Chain Empty Re: Gear drive vs Timing Chain

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:08 pm

Which do you like best, red or blue? Its all a matter of personal opinion. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:10 pm

over a stock part- a double roller timing chain will give you power, and so will a gear drive, a gear drive cant be used with a hydrolic roller camshaft.
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:45 pm

no on the timing belts. I have a friend that was running a timing belt on a bbc in a 9 sec all motor mustang. During a pass, a tiny bit of oil blew pass the seals and the belt slipped off. destroying the pistons and valves.

I know I prefer a cloyes true roller with torrington bearing over all.

Gear drive vs Timing Chain SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:35 am

BlackChevelleSS wrote:no on the timing belts. I know I prefer a cloyes true roller with torrington bearing over all.

Very Happy good to hear after puttin one on! lol
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:45 pm

Yeah you always hear about the benefits of that $800 Jesel drive belt, but what they won't tell you is how often you really need to check them. I like true roller chains, but I really can't say anything bad about gear drives. I'm actually thinking of throwing one on my next build.

JB - I'm thinking the same thing. I'm just tired of hearing that gear drives steal power, but no one has been able to prove it to me yet.

Corey - Gear drives CAN be used with hydraulic roller cams. Comp Cams even packages one with their "Thumper Cams Kit". LMAO go figure.......

Black - Glad to hear I'm not the only person that's seen belt failure... well not really glad, but you know what I mean. Cloyes is probably one of the best ways to go IF you you get the true roller version. I've seen their cheaper double roller stretch after only a few thousand miles. Not enough to do damage or even jump a tooth, but I swore I felt the power loss.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Man, this site is righteous! My husband just said that we need to find somebody who knows the pros / cons of a gear over a chain or belt. I clicked the G3 Tech and we got our answer. Now we just need somebody to give the car a once over. Anybody close to Jackson, Wisconsin?

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:06 pm

KINDA CLOSE your just about 1.5 hours from me

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:58 pm

Stay the H$** away from a belt drive! Otherwise, it's all up to you. I've never had a problem with the chains though. Not like any of us are running 4 seconds in the 1/4...
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Uh, not yet anyway... LOL

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:35 pm

Ok so it was flooded. Plugs are all wet, they smell like gas. Fuel pump is fine, and it's getting spark. Now we have to change the plugs, and the oil cuz that smells like gas too. Not a big deal. It should be running after that. I am getting ants in my pants. ARG!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:38 pm

???? Wrong thread ???? scratch
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Famstyle Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:43 pm

HUGGERS PROB DOES SOUND LIKE A POSSIBLE TIMING CHAIN WEAR PROBLEM. I HAD A SIMILAR CONDITIONWIT THE ORIG. 305 BACK IN THE 80'S. PUT FUEL EVERYWHERE, IF IT WOULD OF TURNED OVER I MIGHT'VE BLOWN MY HEADER GLASSPACKS OFF! LOL
Famstyle
Famstyle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:38 pm

yeah I guess so.....

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:42 pm

Okay, I have a specific question. I want to pull the gear and put in a heavy-duty double-roller chain. The guy said he'd do it, but advised me not to. He says that I will snap that chain in about a month, and there's probably a reason they put in the gear. It's a 383 stroker motor. Aside from the "gear vs. chain discussion, why would the chain break? Is there too much pressure on a chain when it's in a "supposedly" high performance motor?

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:12 pm

It will work just fine with the double chain, but why do it? The only real advantage to the gear is that it is more accurate than the chain and that is the reason it was put on there to begin with. I see no advantage to changing it back to a chain, the friction factor is not enough to worry about. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:03 pm

It's so noisy that it gets to be extremely irritating. That's why I want the chain, but I really don't watn to snap a chain and have to put the gear back in again. UGH!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:05 pm

There are hundreds of small block Chevies making over one horsepower per cubic inch of displacement that are running a double chain and they are not replacing therm every 10,000 miles. Of course if they are putting on the miles a quarter mile at a time, they may not make it thru 40,000 passes. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:06 pm

The chain is NOT going to break.... I have a 383 as well, with a Procharger. If I were you, I'd stop listening to that specific person.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Some people don't like the noise of a gear drive. That's fine. A good Tru-roller chain isn't gonna snap. I'd be willing to bet that a double roller wouldn't even snap either. Stretch - eventually, snap - highly unlikely. Read this thread from the beginning again & you can see that there are a few people who are making more power than you running a chain.

I second the notion to quit listening to whomever told you that. Either they don't want to go through the hassle or they don't know what they are talking about. Either way they gave you bad advice once & it will probably happen again.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:35 pm

HDHugger wrote:It's so noisy that it gets to be extremely irritating. That's why I want the chain, but I really don't watn to snap a chain and have to put the gear back in again. UGH!

tell ya what bring that noisy lil gear drive down here when you get the dash and i will take it in our swap that we are doing LOL but for know I WOULD SWITCH MECHANICS.......... if they are telling you a double roller will snap in 10,000 miles or so there are alot of drag racers running tru double roller chain and not having a single problem with them snapping at all

and one a side note 74malibu383 is running 383 stroker I believe well over 500 horseys with a pro-charger no problems what so ever

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:44 pm

Pick the chain very carefully, they are not all equal. You usually get what you pay for. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Limey wrote: and one a side note 74malibu383 is running 383 stroker I believe well over 500 horseys with a pro-charger no problems what so ever

Just to clarify big guy... that's 540 at the rear wheels, which equates to well over 600 horseys at the front. Smile
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:53 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:
Limey wrote: and one a side note 74malibu383 is running 383 stroker I believe well over 500 horseys with a pro-charger no problems what so ever

Just to clarify big guy... that's 540 at the rear wheels, which equates to well over 600 horseys at the front. Smile

That's why i PUT WELL OVER lmao afro Clapp Thumbs up Clapp afro

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Okay okay! The majority wins! Ya got me convinced! Seriously though, I jsut found an oil leak and it's coming from the timing chain cover, so I'm thinking the chain will be getting installed fairly quickly.

And Limey, thanks for the lead on the seats. We already have an upholsterer lined up, just have to order the covers. And on another note, I put the louvers up to my rear window and the final answer is HELL NO! With the angle of the back end, the louvers don't look good at all on my car! So, had you posted a pic of that dash? I can't remember. If you did, please lead me to it. If you didn't please post it if you can. We'll be back in the area in a few weeks.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next