G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do I get this window molding? Whisker molding?

+5
A_Tame76
BlackChevelleSS
Limey SE
Hydro King
coreys73chevelle
9 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Where do I get this window molding? Whisker molding? Empty Where do I get this window molding? Whisker molding?

Post by jonny o Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:19 pm

Runs the length of the door top, outside the window on my 76 bu. Rusty metal frame on the inside, rubber and bird crap on the outside. Looks like the inside was supposed to keep the water from filling up my doors at one point. Not sure if the doo doo is NOS or not.

Photobucket

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Where do I get this window molding? Whisker molding? Empty Re: Where do I get this window molding? Whisker molding?

Post by coreys73chevelle Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:44 pm

i think the chevy dealerships have them, call a local dealer and ask.
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Where do I get this window molding? Whisker molding? Empty Re: Where do I get this window molding? Whisker molding?

Post by coreys73chevelle Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:58 pm

i think what you need is called- BeltLine trim?
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro King Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:43 pm

E bay has em for 500.00+
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:08 am

Wow...
That's two completely different answers. Guess I'll have to just start looking. Thanks gents.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:13 pm

could you pull it off and paint it black or something?

Where do I get this window molding? Whisker molding? SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:52 pm

YOU CAN REMOVE AND HAVE IT POWDER COATED CHROME OR BLACK YOUR CHOICE

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:14 pm

I'll try to get a real camera over there tonigth to make sure we are talking about the same piece. It's metal covered in rubber, and the edge of the rubber was sealing/stabilizing the window. I'll look at stripping/painting it, but I think the rubber on the window is too vital.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:26 pm

oh as in window sweepers or window felts?

BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:54 pm

i think he is talking about the window felt that has the chrome attached to it ...if so thats a pretty penny item on ebay

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:02 pm

Might try the dealer like previously stated

BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Where do I get this window molding? Whisker molding? Empty Window sweepers

Post by A_Tame76 Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:14 am

Hey there Jonny O.
I think this is what youre looking for. Here is a link from Ebay. They are called belt weatherstrips or "window sweepers". They look to be NOS and he wants some big cash, but here you go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1973-77-OLDS-CUTLASS-442-CHEVELLE-REGAL-PONTIAC_W0QQitemZ330266757703QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330266757703&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245
A_Tame76
A_Tame76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by gcmarchi Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:02 pm

I just got off the phone with Restoration Specialties ( www.restorationspecialties.com ). Until 3 years ago the sweeps for the G3 Chevrolets were listed in their catalog. They no longer are listed nor available. They said the reason is that the "core" molding is no longer made. They do list other GM G3 models so you may want to see if you could use one that is the same shape but with different trim. I also ran the part numbers given on the E-bay page for the NOS parts on the GM Parts Direct site and they are no longer listed.
gcmarchi
gcmarchi
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:12 am

Well gents, thanks for the input. I'm going to look into pulling the originals off for sanding and painting, then look at the possibility of epoxying a basic flat piece of rubber on the inside. I'll let you know how it goes. What's the worst case scenario, I ruin the ruined pieced?

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oidar Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:03 pm

My 1974 Mitchell Manuals Part Number Service Guide (private message me with your address for a copy) says that is a:
Moulding, Reveal at Belt p/n 9882795-4. 1974 price... $4.68

.3 hrs to replace if glass was removed.

Maybe call some dealerships with that info. If you find some still in stock let us know.

BTW, I work under a radio tower, I have plenty of "factory fresh" bird crap "in stock".
Oidar
Oidar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:23 am

I dont know if this is the right thing or not. http://www.paddockparts.com/Paddock/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=ZWF282LR&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D6%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CChevelle%2FMonte%20Carlo&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D88%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CChevelle%2FMonte%20Carlo%20New%20Products&2=product%5Ffamily%2Easp%2Cfamily%5Fid%3D12558%26Tree%3D1%2C73%2D77%20Chevelle%2C%20GTO%2C%20Cutlass%20OEM%2DStyle%20Outer%20Window%20Sealing%20Strip%20Kit&HSLB=False&mscssid=A2BDA46D8A6749929B1D6B39C33E1DC6
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down