G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how do you flip the handle on a elky to the inside of tailgate

+2
maliburacinfreak
74Malibu383
6 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

how do you flip the handle on a elky to the inside of tailgate Empty how do you flip the handle on a elky to the inside of tailgate

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:27 am

how do you flip the handle on a elky to the inside of tailgate

i know its possible my friend carlos just did it and he also made a custom bed lid
i just need help has anyone done it id like to see how its done before i go messing with it
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

how do you flip the handle on a elky to the inside of tailgate Empty Re: how do you flip the handle on a elky to the inside of tailgate

Post by The Dude Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:48 pm

1. Ask Carlos how he done it.
2. Have him help you.
3. Get him to sign up here & post pictures...... Smile

Asking someone in person, especially a buddy that can help you through the process, is better than forum chatting sometimes. Then again, someone might have access to pictures on here & that can always be helpful. Probably the best way to go about this is buy a relocator kit from one of the various suppliers. If you can weld, this shouldn't be hard to do at all.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

how do you flip the handle on a elky to the inside of tailgate Empty Re: how do you flip the handle on a elky to the inside of tailgate

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:08 pm

thx i am just trying to see if anyone on here has done it
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:10 pm

It would probably be JB. He's the only El Camino owner on here to my knowledge. Really shocking considering how many were made.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:16 pm

haha weird and i knkow theres a girl on here with a 74 elky and 74 chevelle
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:51 pm

I meant frequent flyers, LoL! I think there's actually like 7 or 8 Elkys on here if you look, but none of them ever post anything or possibly even view the site anymore. TWBouska pops in on occasion too. He might possibly have a solution.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:00 pm

The 78 Elky has the handle on the inside and the 74 has the handle on the outside. Maybe a redneck marriage between the two will get the job done. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:23 pm

Rago wrote:It would probably be JB. He's the only El Camino owner on here to my knowledge. Really shocking considering how many were made.

Thought TW has a blue one?
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:24 pm

idk i have seen several pictures with it done look

how do you flip the handle on a elky to the inside of tailgate Marcel10
actually i think they just closed the whole tailgate up on that one

how do you flip the handle on a elky to the inside of tailgate M1_00010
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:
Rago wrote:It would probably be JB. He's the only El Camino owner on here to my knowledge. Really shocking considering how many were made.

Thought TW has a blue one?

ya he does your right
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:42 pm

Yeah I posted that later. Sorry.....
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by maliburacinfreak Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:24 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:The 78 Elky has the handle on the inside and the 74 has the handle on the outside. Maybe a redneck marriage between the two will get the job done. JB
exactly what i was gonna suggest. the 78-88 elkys are inside and the 72-earlier ones are also. i really dont know why they put them outside on these cars. just mount the new handle inside, bend up new rods, and smooth over the holes on the outside.

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:01 am

kk thx
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:00 am

There are kits that are made to do this kind of thing. I posted it earlier.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:57 pm

Rago wrote:There are kits that are made to do this kind of thing. I posted it earlier.
?
where
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Rago wrote:1. Ask Carlos how he done it.
2. Have him help you.
3. Get him to sign up here & post pictures...... Smile

Asking someone in person, especially a buddy that can help you through the process, is better than forum chatting sometimes. Then again, someone might have access to pictures on here & that can always be helpful. Probably the best way to go about this is buy a relocator kit from one of the various suppliers. If you can weld, this shouldn't be hard to do at all.

In my very first response. Razz

The kits are sold by several companies on several online sites. I'm sure there's one for El Caminos. Or you could pick up one for another application & make it work as cheap as they are.

http://www.stylinsolutions.com/ec/search.aspx?CatID=159&TCatID=151
http://www.streetperformance.com/m/cats/3530-towing-hauling-and-storage/5001-tailgate-handle-relocation-kit.html
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/BEL8650.htm
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSE-950-61120/
http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?partfamilyid=595

If nothing else, do what JB said.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:26 pm

awesome that looks like it would look pretty good
thx rago once again im giving you street cred hopefully it works lol
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:50 pm

you also may want to youtube the overhaulin episode "surfer kid" i believe they did that on the 77 they overhauled.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:57 pm

kk i just youtubed it im watching it now hopefully i can find it maybe overhaulin will give me some ideas for mine Thumbs up thanks!
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:06 pm

no problem man, i gotta admit, overall i was disappointed with the car but they were a couple cool things they they did, the bed cover and switching over the tail gate were two of them.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:25 pm

yeah true they are way to heavy once i get my malibu running i will end up selling the elky lol
and it doesnt show anything about how they switched the tailgate over
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:36 pm

ill probably always keep mine for a daily driver or at worst to have as a truck cause its been really handy but its not my hot rod.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:43 am

thats actually what mine is right now its my daily driver just affording gas for it is killing me.
its easy to take stuff to the scrapper with this though i can make extra money =]
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:28 pm

Actually, the weight is low in an Elky and it corners better than some other models like the 4 door and the station wagon and everybody knows pickups are light on the back end, so where does the extra weight come from? Sure, it has a 4 inch longer wheelbase than the colonade and it has a boxed frame, so they should break down to about even. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:56 pm

haha yeah it does corner pretty well ill admit that but i thought the 4 door or the station wagon would have the same frame as an elky?
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next