G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installing Swivel Buckets

+2
yogreasygramma
Roadcaptain S3
6 posters

Go down

swivel bucket - Installing Swivel Buckets Empty Installing Swivel Buckets

Post by HDHugger Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:07 pm

I am picking up my swivel buckets tomorrow, and I thought I saw a diagram somewhere on this site that shows a where they get mounted to the floor. Can anyone direct me to that post?

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

swivel bucket - Installing Swivel Buckets Empty Re: Installing Swivel Buckets

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:51 am

I don't recall a diagram here, but we have discussed it before.

I assume you are pulling a bench seat?

If so, you will have to mount the swivels in the outside holes already there, and then either fab up or find the brackets for the swivel feet closest to the tranny hump, especially the inside fronts.

I did it by drillng out holes and using washers to fill the space between the feet and floor.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:05 am

Yes, it has a bench seat. What the heck am I going to do with that after I pull it out? Sheesh...

We have to weld 1 part on the drivers side swivel mount and fix the plastic skirts, then we should be ready to start the install. I might have more questions though. You are forewarned! Razz

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:12 am

HDHugger wrote:Yes, it has a bench seat. What the heck am I going to do with that after I pull it out? Sheesh...

I feel your pain, the split bench is sitting in the garage, and your post reminded me I need to get it on EBAY soon. Double sheesh.

If you have the brackets, your life should be much easier as far as locating mounting points. The most difficult part for me was making darn sure they were sitting as straight and level as possible, leaving room for the seatbelts and console to be mounted. I had to pre-mount and measure everything because the space is much tighter than I originally thought.
Keep in mind the mounting points for the seatbelts are totally different for the swivel vs. bench belts.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by yogreasygramma Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:32 am

Here's a link to Scott's website (I think he's also a member here?) with some more details:

http://www.montesrule.freehomepage.com/custom3.html
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:30 pm

Yeah, I have all the parts.... inner and outer seat belts, complete swivel mounts, original console and shifter assembly, etc. We just needed a starting point, and the tip making suremeasures up right with the console is a good one also. Thanks.

Now about that link...what is the "donor part" from the car? Also, the seat belts on the bench mount "under" the back outer legs for the seat... is this the same for the swivels?
My husband can manufacture what he needs to at his work, so that's nto a big deal, we just need to know the "assembly format."

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:46 am

Saving for reference.... need the correct seat belts for the swivels. Waiting for Mcarlo to see if he can get them.... and I am just posting in this link so I can search it easier in the next for weeks. So ignore my rambling...

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:41 pm

This is simpler than you think. The front outer bolt hole of the bench is in the correct spot for the swivel buckets. Line them up, mark and drill. That's what I did. I am very bad at taking pictures so my thread doesn't have pics.

The only one that "NEEDS" a bracket fabricated is the drivers inside front as the hols is located on a slant, had a buddy mill an aluminum block to the right contour, and a corresponding one for under the floor and off we went.

The belt receivers use the same bolt hole.

The sifter mounting holes are there, it's the front two, there are dimples in the floor for the grommet for the trans shifter so with the grommet you can figure where the hole for the cable is.

The console has the two middle holes (right behind the shifter holes) and from there you can figure out where the front and rear brackets belong, you could find of fabricate these, I got the front one from Mcarlo, the rear is a piece of bent stainless with holes for those threaded clips.

The belts are the only thing that you could possibly have trouble with. Just push the seat all the way back with the plastic on the pedestal, take a measurement and make sure the cover from the retractor has room to come all the way down to the carpet.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:49 pm

I saw the pic for the outside rear mount for the swivels that looks like a bracket that bolts into the seat belt mounting hole.

What does the inside rear bracket look like? The one by the trans tunnel. Anyone have a pic??
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:05 pm

Here you go. Look closely and you'll see a mtg stud welded on either side of the tunnel bracket. You'll also notice the two holes on top of the bracket...that's where the rear of the console mounts. Can also see where the inner seat belts bolt to the side of the tunnel.

swivel bucket - Installing Swivel Buckets Consol14
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:35 pm

Thanks for posting. Thats interesting. So that extra plate is for a swivel car only. Very interesting.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down