G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PROGRESS PICS AND QUESTIONS el camino question........but anyone can help

+4
Limey SE
74Malibu383
ant7377
74chick
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PROGRESS PICS AND QUESTIONS         el camino question........but anyone can help - Page 2 Empty Re: PROGRESS PICS AND QUESTIONS el camino question........but anyone can help

Post by 77malibu77 Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:16 pm

OPINIONS!

gonna paint my grille and headlight bezel trim and all the trim and around my taillights gloss black and have the rest of my car flat black.

let me hear your opinions
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

PROGRESS PICS AND QUESTIONS         el camino question........but anyone can help - Page 2 Empty Re: PROGRESS PICS AND QUESTIONS el camino question........but anyone can help

Post by The Dude Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:36 pm

Better than being all spray canned flat. I can see the spray pattern in your hood for crying out loud. My advice..... go get a Scotchbrite pad & some water to make the whole car/truck look more uniform. I guess some wet sanding paper would do the same thing, but take longer. Grille should be flat or semi-gloss, but trim around it should be gloss if you go that route.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:18 pm

76 Caprice springs will lift it up and you can use the standard shocks. If you get the extenders for them it might even ride nice
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:29 pm

Rago wrote:Better than being all spray canned flat. I can see the spray pattern in your hood for crying out loud. My advice..... go get a Scotchbrite pad & some water to make the whole car/truck look more uniform. I guess some wet sanding paper would do the same thing, but take longer. Grille should be flat or semi-gloss, but trim around it should be gloss if you go that route.

im just mainly trying to get all the body work done before i get the car looking more uniform. i still have holes to fill from all of the trim that i took off. but i got the hole on my tailgate bondo'ed in for temporary til i can get ahold of a welder then ill start from scratch on it. alright i wish they sold spray cans of that black chrome. but im probably gonna black out all of the chrome except the bumpers, im gonna paint all the chrome gloss black and the trim piece around the grille.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:13 pm

Didn't you say you were going to sell your car later? If so, you will have a hard time selling it with the chrome blacked out because you can not buy the stuff. Now in my case, on my 78, I have two choices, either buy new chrome around the bed or paint it body color. I restored that Elky about 10 years ago and gave it to my som in law who torn the hell out of it and gave it back to me. I bought new chrome for it then and now it is worse than it was before I replaced it. It is hard to find the chrome for the 73/77s, but easy for the 78 ups. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:00 am

JB2wheeler wrote:Didn't you say you were going to sell your car later? If so, you will have a hard time selling it with the chrome blacked out because you can not buy the stuff. Now in my case, on my 78, I have two choices, either buy new chrome around the bed or paint it body color. I restored that Elky about 10 years ago and gave it to my som in law who torn the hell out of it and gave it back to me. I bought new chrome for it then and now it is worse than it was before I replaced it. It is hard to find the chrome for the 73/77s, but easy for the 78 ups. JB

its not like im going to powder coat it, if someone wanted it back to chrome i could always get a good polisher to get all the paint off, ive had to do it once before anyway lol
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:09 am

Good luck painting over all your chrome and making it look good.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:10 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:Good luck painting over all your chrome and making it look good.

i already painted the trim around the headlights black and i think it looks 100 times better than the chrome, the only thing thats gonna be chrome on my car is the wheels and bumpers. hell i wish i could paint all the chrome to that black chrome like those wheels rago showed us a while back.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:24 pm

besides chrome is so old school
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:37 pm

alright im starting to think again on painting the grille like this
PROGRESS PICS AND QUESTIONS         el camino question........but anyone can help - Page 2 Black10

looks funky
might just paint all the trim gloss black and leave the whole front end flat black.
or i was thinking something about painting the whole nose from the headerpanel and headlight bezels towards the front of the car gloss black scratch scratch
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

You really need to get that all one uniform color before messing with the trim anyways. That primer job looks like A$$ IMHO.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:35 pm

lol id rather finish the body work and then spray on flat black primer with an actual spray gun instead of the cans. but i cant finish the body work til i get ahold of a welder. i might have my whole car painted by october we will see
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Just think of it this way. The more coats of rattle can crap you spray on it, the more you're going to have to strip when you're finally ready to paint it.

Plus, if you stop spending money on the rattle cans and tape, you might be able to save up enough to get a used welder. At the end of the day it all goes back to that post in which you were talking about bondoing over your marker light holes.

*******JUST DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME**********
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:00 pm

well im not going to get rid of my side marker lights completely im just going to change them to a smaller side marker like the cutlass or monte carlos
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:44 pm

77malibu77 wrote: im just going to change them to a smaller side marker like the cutlass
WOULD HAVE TO BE THE MONTES FOR THE CUTLASS GO THE OTHER WAY LOL

And I would have to go with the Rago on this call DO NOT put another can of rattle on there till you get all the lines cleared of by wet sanding preferably or the suggested scotch brite

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:53 pm

Just my $.02, but why even bother customizing something that you plan to sell? I you are going to keep it for a while then customize to your heart's content, but for something you don't intend to keep very long it's a waste of time & money that could be going into your Malibu. What looks good to you might look ugly to the next guy & gives him an arguing point on price when you sell it.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:29 pm

Rago wrote:Just my $.02, but why even bother customizing something that you plan to sell? I you are going to keep it for a while then customize to your heart's content, but for something you don't intend to keep very long it's a waste of time & money that could be going into your Malibu. What looks good to you might look ugly to the next guy & gives him an arguing point on price when you sell it.

its at least going to take me 3 or 4 more years to restore both the malibu and el camino. and ill probably keep it about 5 or 10 years afterits done but im definatly not going to keep it for my whole life
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:16 am

In 10 years this old earth probably wont be here anymore. I know I wont be. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:17 am

JB2wheeler wrote:In 10 years this old earth probably wont be here anymore. I know I wont be. JB

so you are saying you believe in 2012 lol i guess im taking the el camino to the grave with me lol. no but the malibu i definatly am lol
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:19 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:In 10 years this old earth probably wont be here anymore. I know I wont be. JB

I definitely don't disagree with you. Not that I believe in 2012, I just believe with idiots like the one we have in office weakening the country and China and other surpassing us, things could get real ugly in the next decade.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:02 pm

ok i did a lot of painting and some bondo here and there, very very little. my opinion the car looks great! ill get some pictures in a few hours or so.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Mind making an Elky project thread & putting all of your progress there? Just trying to start keeping things more in order here. What was the original question about anyways? LoL
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:36 pm

ill just stop posting pics and status updates alltogether

and the origional one was about the ride height
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:19 pm

Rago is just trying to improve the site by improving effecientcy. I used to ride the bus all the time and when you ride the bus you learn to be patient and take things a little easier. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:24 pm

haha i understand that but theres nothing wrong with me posting pics of my progress because maybe someone else on here (may not be you) is doing the same thing i am or is thinking about it and the pictures show them what it looks like.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next