G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings from Grand Rapids, MI

+3
Limey SE
The Dude
dhw3971
7 posters

Go down

Greetings from Grand Rapids, MI Empty Greetings from Grand Rapids, MI

Post by dhw3971 Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Glad I found this forum--it's tough to find a community of owners besides the 64-72 model years. I recently became the owner (a second time) of the family cruiser I drove in high school: a 1975 Chevelle Malibu Classic station wagon. My parents bought it new in June of 1975 and by the time my sister and I were able to drive in the late 1980s it was relegated to the third car in the family fleet. I later laid claim to it and saved it for many years wtih the intention of turning it into my hot rod.

Well, after 13 years of barn storage it had degraded somewhat (but still started each time I went to visit) and marriage and home ownership interfered with my hot rod plans. I reluctantly sold her in 2005 to a caring new owner who spiffed her up a bit and made her roadworthy again. When I sold the car I told the guy to give me the first chance to buy her back if he ever wanted to sell.

In mid-August I received The Best E-mail Ever: the owner was selling and wanted to know if I was still interested. I thought it over for about an hour and then figured "How many times in life does one get this opportunity?" I jumped on the deal and drove her home from Detroit to Grand Rapids (MI) a week later.

Now unencumbered by marriage and home the dream is finally realized. I took her to a mechanic the same day she arrived in town and he unleashed a slew of upgrades from his used parts bin (I think he's having as much fun with the car as I am): 4-bbl carb+intake, headers, dual exhaust, new rotor cap+wires, front shocks, fluid check, removal of dead A/C, tune-up, chrome dress-up parts for the engine..that's all I can think of right now. After a hectic two weeks she was ready to drive in the big car cruise in town and held up pretty well in the 90-degree heat.

Since then she's been in for new springs, shocks, tires, a carb rebuild, I installed new carpeting, a tachometer and right now new sheetmetal is being welded in to replace the rusted floorboards. yesterday I scored a set of used Cragar S/S chrome wheels and I'm anxoius to get those installed. Unfortunately there isn't much time left in the year to drive her around but winter gives me a few months to save money!

[img]Greetings from Grand Rapids, MI Chevel14[/img][img]Greetings from Grand Rapids, MI Chevel15[/img][img]Greetings from Grand Rapids, MI Chevel16[/img][img]Greetings from Grand Rapids, MI Chevel17[/img][img]Greetings from Grand Rapids, MI Chevel18[/img][img][img]Greetings from Grand Rapids, MI Chevel19[/img][img]Greetings from Grand Rapids, MI Chevel20[/img]
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Grand Rapids, MI Empty Re: Greetings from Grand Rapids, MI

Post by The Dude Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:41 pm

Welcome to the forum!
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:11 pm

cool story cant wait for pics... and welcome !
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:19 pm

welcome aboard buddy sounds like a kewl ride for sure

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by stocker2038 Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:00 pm

Cool story !!!!

Welcome to the site

Wagons Rule!!!!!!

Doug

stocker2038
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:02 pm

ya waiting for indyg3 to chime in i think he still has his 77 malibu classic wagon
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Post some pics! We need more wagons around here! GoFast
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:49 pm

IndyG3 wrote:Post some pics! We need more wagons around here! GoFast

he did
https://www.g3gm.com/g3-project-pictures-f10/75-chevelle-station-wagon-project-t3045.htm

by the way you still got yours right? werent you talking about selling it?
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:07 pm

Yeah, it's still for sale. It's a fun car to drive and all, but I just don't have any reason to own it anymore. It just kinda sits around now, unfortunately.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Welcome to the fun forum!! Cool wagon. Haven't seen one in years. I'm on my 4th El Camino, of the G3 type, a '75, and on my second Chevelle, a Malibu. That wagon is really great looking Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down