G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1976 Monte Carlo ignition switch replacement

+2
The Dude
bigredlaguna
6 posters

Go down

1976 Monte Carlo ignition switch replacement Empty 1976 Monte Carlo ignition switch replacement

Post by chevy76monteman Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:53 pm

I need some serious help with this problem. I need to replace my ignition switch for my 76 Monte Carlo and reinstalling the new one is getting on my nerves. I have a tilt wheel. Per the instructions supplied with the new switch I purchased, I removed the old switch and now when installing the new switch, the actuator rod is preventing me from installing it on the column where it belongs. Per the instructions "install the actuator rod, then install the switch onto the column using the lower screw hole." When doing this, the actuator rod prevents me from properly installing the switch onto the column. When forcing it, all it does is pop the rod out of the switch. I tried installing the switch first and then installing the rod, but when I do the actuator rod is past where it needs to be installed. When turning the key to the off position, its even further from where it needs to be. I am at a loss and any help would be greatly appreciated. A picture of the left side of the switch when it is installed on the column would be great.
chevy76monteman
chevy76monteman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

1976 Monte Carlo ignition switch replacement Empty Re: 1976 Monte Carlo ignition switch replacement

Post by bigredlaguna Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:27 am

What I remember doing when I reconditioned my column, is move the switch to the "run" position. You will know where it is because it will spring back from the "start" position at the end of its travel.

Before placing the switch on the column, and with the key in the lock, turn the tumbler all the way to the "start" position, then slightly back.

Line up the rod and the switch so the rod goes into the switch properly, when it is, then line up the mounting holes. The key will follow the movement.

Tighten the mounting screws and test the operation of the switch with the key. Adjust switch position if the indicators on the column aren't lined up in the "off" position.

See if this way works for you.

bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

1976 Monte Carlo ignition switch replacement Empty Re: 1976 Monte Carlo ignition switch replacement

Post by ant7377 Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Dustin,
I tried to respond to you yesterday on the yahoo group but I didnt seem to go through or something.You have to have the switch (according to the GM manual) In the lock position,as well as the key tumbler.You can move the switch with a screw driver by gently sliding it from the slot on the side to get it to the lock position.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by chevy76monteman Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:59 pm

Never mind. I finally got it. Like a moron, I was putting the switch on upside down. lol!
chevy76monteman
chevy76monteman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:09 pm

Are you sure that is the right switch ? The picture here in the GM service manual shows that slot that the rod fits in more in between the two mounting holes. I wish I still had the one I took off my car but I tossed it .Does the plug fit the terminals there? How does it look compared to the one you took out ? Maybe the picture i have is for a non tilt column it dosent say.

It says here,
"the switch should be positioned in the "lock" position before removing.If the lock cylinder has already been removed,the actuating rod to the switch should be pulled up until there is a definate stop then moved down one detent which is the lock position."

In your picture it still seems even with all that the rod isnt orientated right with the switch .Try sliding the switch it self not the whole assembly forward (toward the front of the car) and turn the key tumbler back to off (not accesory) and see what happens.

ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:11 pm

Ok then ,glad you got it maybe it will help somebody else.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:01 am

OMFG your avatar is hilarious.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:01 am

Classic SNL when the show was still funny. Don't watch it anymore though. It's about as exciting as watching a NASCAR race..... Turd
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Yeah thats funny ! "I got for ya here Trabeck" !
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:19 pm

ant7377 wrote:Yeah thats funny ! "I got one for ya here Trabeck" !
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:10 pm

"...Kebert Xela"

"Only saying his name backwards will send him back to the 5th dimension where he belongs."

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by chevy76monteman Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:10 pm

1976 Monte Carlo ignition switch replacement Boy__You_Might_be_Legally____by_saintabyssal
chevy76monteman
chevy76monteman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:53 pm

glad you got it fixed. someone scrapped 10 columns i had in a garage. F'n bastards.
1976 Monte Carlo ignition switch replacement Tomwhe10
1976 Monte Carlo ignition switch replacement Tomwhe11
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down