G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

drop spindles or springs?

+2
JB2wheeler
74Malibu383
6 posters

Go down

drop spindles or springs? Empty drop spindles or springs?

Post by Cdub74 Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:53 am

still searching for a way to lower my front end. Im going to end up (in the long run) replacing the whole suspension with Air Ride, but in the mean time my front end has HD springs which makes the front end tip up. So heres my question, ive seen 2" drop spindles, also -2" springs from Eaton Springs (which are HD). What will BEST help the front end drop for a nice stance without having my 454 slam to the ground when I go over a bump. Exclamation Question

Last edited by Cdub74 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Cdub74
Cdub74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

drop spindles or springs? Empty Re: drop spindles or springs?

Post by 74Malibu383 Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:57 am

Coil-Overs
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:59 am

If you will be doing air bags later, just chop the springs for a harsher ride. If not, go with the spindles and for a really serious drop put the springs in also. personally, I can not go shopping anywhere they have those stupid speed bumps because I drag and I have stock springs and spindles. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:01 pm

If you decide to cut your springs, only take one full coil out. Before I installed the coil-overs, I cut two full coils out of the springs, and regretted it. It looked cool, but rode like $hit. It was awful.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Cdub74 Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:30 pm

Doesn't chopped springs f* with the spring rate? I dont want to kill myself if I decide to take it to the strip, lol
Cdub74
Cdub74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:53 pm

It would not be at all good on the strip, but it would do wonders for your cornering ability. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Cdub74 Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:24 pm

A drop spindel sounds safer, doesn't it? There only like $150 a pair, plus I can keep the spindels in when I get Air Ride.
Cdub74
Cdub74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Have you checked out the factory spring rates?

https://www.g3gm.com/t2376-front-spring-rates

Even with the best factory HD springs the rate is only 460. Compare that to the aftermarket lowering springs with closer to 650-700 lbs spring rate. Cutting one coil is going to raise your spring rate, but it's effects would be negligible. Probably raise you up to aftermarket spring rates if anything. OTOH you need to be careful & not get the springs too hot when cutting them. A cutoff saw or sawzall should do the trick while applying oil to the spring. DO NOT USE A TORCH & don't even think about heating the springs to compress them! This is where some people get the bad vibes about tampering with springs due to them becoming brittle after the heat is applied. Another thing to remember with lowering springs is that an alignment is gonna be necessary.

Drop spindles would be the way to go if it's a more permanent solution, but be cautious of no name spindles. They could be made by 7 year old foreign slave laborers & won't hold up under rigorous driving. Where did you find some that cheap? I think McGaughy's is the cheapest I have seen & they are around $250-$300 depending on where you find them.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Cdub74 Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:19 pm

Summit Racing 209.95 pair, are those the shitty ones?
Cdub74
Cdub74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Cdub74 wrote:Summit Racing 209.95 pair, are those the shitty ones?

Got a link? I just scanned the website & only came up with these for $234.95
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CLP-7078DS/

Here's the McGaughy's ones that I mentioned.
http://grunionfabrication.com/drop-spindles-7078-chevy-camaro-7377-monti-carlo-camin-p-1949.html

Yes, the 70-81 F Body & also the 77-96 B Body uses the same spindle, so don't limit your search to 73-77 A Body. Then you can open yourself up to PST, BellTech, & probably more companies. The only thing that concerns me about drop spindles besides quality is clearance. Will your wheels rub the lower A arm after installing drop spindles? Most people shouldn't have to worry about it, but for anyone that wants ultra wide front wheels, it might be something to consider.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Cdub74 Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:15 pm

it has 16" rims, and the tires are kind of wide. Ill have to look how close they are the next time I go start it.
Cdub74
Cdub74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cdub74 Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:20 pm

The McGaughy site, says "use only with OEM disk brakes". I have a set of Wilwood's calipers+rotors ready to be installed scratch Im just going to cut the darn springs!

Last edited by Cdub74 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Cdub74
Cdub74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by oldstofty Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:29 pm

cut the springs. youll be fine. its gonna be a winter project of mine too. people cut springs on drag cars all the time, its no big deal still pleanty safe it just may launch differently. my car sat like a 4x4 then dropped in the big block.... still sat like a f'ing 4x4 didnt drop at all. just to rehash from above DONT use a torch!!
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Rago wrote:Have you checked out the factory spring rates?

https://www.g3gm.com/t2376-front-spring-rates

Even with the best factory HD springs the rate is only 460. Compare that to the aftermarket lowering springs with closer to 650-700 lbs spring rate. Cutting one coil is going to raise your spring rate, but it's effects would be negligible. Probably raise you up to aftermarket spring rates if anything. OTOH you need to be careful & not get the springs too hot when cutting them. A cutoff saw or sawzall should do the trick while applying oil to the spring. DO NOT USE A TORCH & don't even think about heating the springs to compress them! This is where some people get the bad vibes about tampering with springs due to them becoming brittle after the heat is applied. Another thing to remember with lowering springs is that an alignment is gonna be necessary.

Drop spindles would be the way to go if it's a more permanent solution, but be cautious of no name spindles. They could be made by 7 year old foreign slave laborers & won't hold up under rigorous driving. Where did you find some that cheap? I think McGaughy's is the cheapest I have seen & they are around $250-$300 depending on where you find them.

Look again. The highest spring rate is 500 lbs/in. 1973 Buick w/455 had them.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Cdub74 Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:14 am

oldstofty wrote:cut the springs. youll be fine. its gonna be a winter project of mine too. people cut springs on drag cars all the time, its no big deal still pleanty safe it just may launch differently. my car sat like a 4x4 then dropped in the big block.... still sat like a f'ing 4x4 didnt drop at all. just to rehash from above DONT use a torch!!

Thats what mine looks like sitting on level ground, a 4x4! Well just the front end, I have lowering springs in the back. So Ill take off ONE coil (without a torch) and see how she looks, anything will be better then it is now.

Last edited by Cdub74 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cdub74
Cdub74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:51 am

bigredlaguna wrote:Look again. The highest spring rate is 500 lbs/in. 1973 Buick w/455 had them.

I stand corrected. Still not up to aftermarket rates, but definitely something to consider for the restoration guy that wants to improve handling.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down