G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need turn signal flasher help

+5
IndyG3
bigredlaguna
The Dude
Biomedtech
ant7377
9 posters

Go down

Need turn signal flasher help Empty Need turn signal flasher help

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:05 am

I'm looking at changing my bulbs out to LED's, especially since my tail lights arent that bright and I've always been worried some jackass will rear end me. I need to get an electronic flasher, but I dont know what the right one is.

This is a link to the ones superbrightleds.com have.. does anyone know which will work?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/flashers.htm
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Need turn signal flasher help Empty Re: Need turn signal flasher help

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:31 am

i use 2157's for my bulbs
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:00 pm

1973 454 MONTE wrote: i use 2157's for my bulbs

Hmm, Maybe thats an optional solution. Im pretty sure I have 1157's in mine still.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:11 pm

You know you have to splice this little doodad in line for the LED bulbs to work .I believe its called an unloader. The electronic flasher alone wouldnt work for me .Unless I did something wrong.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:28 pm

Finally a thread that's more into my realm.....

1st off heres how the "old" style thermal flasher works...

Need turn signal flasher help Therma10

When you push the turn-signal stalk down, the thermal flasher connects to the turn-signal bulbs by way of the turn-signal switch. This completes the circuit, allowing current to flow. Initially, the spring steel does not touch the contact, so the only thing that draws power is the resistor. Current flows through the resistive wire, heating up the smaller piece of spring steel and then continuing on to the turn-signal lights. At this point, the current is so small that the lights won't even glow dimly.

After less than a second, the small piece of spring steel heats up enough that it expands and straightens out the larger, curved piece of spring steel. This forces the curved spring steel into the contact so that current flows to the signal lights unimpeded by the resistor. With almost no current passing through the resistor, the spring steel quickly cools, bending back away from the contact and breaking the circuit. The cycle then starts over. This happens at a rate of one to two times per second.

Now when you replace your old 1157 bulbs with LED ones you have significantly decreased the current demand in the circuit which causes the resistive wire in the thermal flasher to barely heat up at all.

Electronic (solid state) flashers:

Solid state flashers are similar to the thermal flashers with the exception that a solid state switch (e.g. MOSFET) is used for lamp switching in place of
the electromechanical relay.

Now be careful when you purchase an electronic flasher unit. Most sold for automotive use still are looking for a higher current demand because of the incandescent lamps. (ever notice that when you have a bulb burnt out in newer cars the remaining bulbs flash faster?)

The unloaders mentioned above are usually just an additional resistor wired in series to increase the current draw to make them flash normally with LED bulbs, these can be a hazard because this resistor is going to get hot so you want to keep it away from anything combustible.

The safer alternative is to buy an electronic flasher that is made for LED's like this one....

http://www.anythingtruck.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Category_Code=HTP-LITE&Product_Code=580-44891

It will fit in the round hole in your fuse block and you don't need the extra resistor.

Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:52 am

Great info Chuck! I moved this to the G3tech section & gave you some street cred. This will definitely come in handy for others later on.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks for the informative post biomedtech! I think I'm going to try Chris' idea first with the 2157's and see how they are. Last time I changed bulbs in that car I was in high school. There are all different ones in the tail lights lol.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:17 am

How clean is the reflector? If the seal is compromised, dust can get inside and reduce the reflectivity of the chrome, or the chrome plating could be pitted or flaking off. I've had a couple of cars that just cleaning the inside of the housing makes a lot of difference.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:35 am

Has anyone done a full LED setup on their breaklights? I've been interested in something like that but I kinda wanna see what it looks like first.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Is there a paint you can use to touch up the silver reflective part? I'll have to clean mine out too.

INDY, I had put red LED's in my tail lights once, not knowing the turn signals would work. But as far as light output goes, it looked good. My tail lights back then were old and faded on the tops. The red leds made them light up like new again. But I had to return the bulbs since the signals were inop.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:01 pm

JiMi_DRiX wrote:Is there a paint you can use to touch up the silver reflective part? I'll have to clean mine out too.

INDY, I had put red LED's in my tail lights once, not knowing the turn signals would work. But as far as light output goes, it looked good. My tail lights back then were old and faded on the tops. The red leds made them light up like new again. But I had to return the bulbs since the signals were inop.

Did you ever find a solution to that, or did you go back to the original setup? I know my dad has a set of LED brake lights and turn signals on his VTX, so there's definitely a solution for the turn signals...
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:29 pm

Jimi, other then silver paint, or some very expensive plastic chrome plating, what about some chrome/mirror tape? Might look funky all pieced together but once under the lens u wouldn't be able to tell and u would get that bright reflection off of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrome-Mirror-Vinyl-Tape-3-wide-x-25-feet-Silver-/370196507537?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56316e6b91
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:10 pm

IndyG3 wrote:
JiMi_DRiX wrote:Is there a paint you can use to touch up the silver reflective part? I'll have to clean mine out too.

Did you ever find a solution to that, or did you go back to the original setup? I know my dad has a set of LED brake lights and turn signals on his VTX, so there's definitely a solution for the turn signals...

You can get the correct flasher or resistors to wire in-line with the turn signals. I just didnt know that back then. I'm sure he's done one of the two.

orange Juiced wrote:Jimi, other then silver paint, or some very expensive plastic chrome plating, what about some chrome/mirror tape? Might look funky all pieced together but once under the lens u wouldn't be able to tell and u would get that bright reflection off of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrome-Mirror-Vinyl-Tape-3-wide-x-25-feet-Silver-/370196507537?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56316e6b91

That would probably work. I dont remember what kind of shape mine are in, but that would probably give an even better reflection tan the stock silver paint either way. I'll have to see if I can find some and try it out.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Chris, did you mean 2357's? I got some bulbs today and thats all I could find, not any 2157's.

Juiced, I found some reflective silver paint, its $6. My only concern is it holding up to the heat of the bulbs. I might get some and try it out.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:17 pm

put them in one side and you should see a difference against the 1157.
i had 2157's in it at one time.
i do have the 2357's also in mine now Very Happy
Need turn signal flasher help 02021110

i also have the 2357 amber bulbs in my front marker lightsNeed turn signal flasher help 02021111
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:00 pm

http://www.eastwood.com/almost-chrome-aerosol-paint.html
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:26 pm

I painted part of my front bumper with that and you sure could tell it was not chrome, but when I started painting at the bumper guard and did a whole section instead of just a patch up job it did not look TOO bad. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 pm

Yeah I got the 2357A's for the front turn signals too. I'll try to take some pictures of the interior stuff I've been finishing up. I got my dash to finally fit, and I did some nice work restoring the gauge bezel. I'm waiting on a few things before its all done. Also got 73 SS wheel that I cleaned up and made look pretty good. It was very very dirty! I have a lot of catching up to do, like usual. If Mike from Poland is reading this, I havent forgot about you either! I found a few more parts you might be interested in.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:01 pm

JiMi_DRiX wrote:Yeah I got the 2357A's for the front turn signals too. I'll try to take some pictures of the interior stuff I've been finishing up. I got my dash to finally fit, and I did some nice work restoring the gauge bezel. I'm waiting on a few things before its all done. Also got 73 SS wheel that I cleaned up and made look pretty good. It was very very dirty! I have a lot of catching up to do, like usual. If Mike from Poland is reading this, I havent forgot about you either! I found a few more parts you might be interested in.

SS wheel? is it the 4 spoke camaro kind?
Need turn signal flasher help 100_6910
this is the wheel i bought for my 86 caprice.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:17 am

No, its the Chevelle/Camino one. Its black, and I believe the wheel is pretty much the same as the Monte's, but the horn pad is different. It was gross, but it cleaned up really nice.

I also found an SS shift knob button a year or so ago too. Razz
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:15 am

JiMi_DRiX wrote:Chris, did you mean 2357's? I got some bulbs today and thats all I could find, not any 2157's.

Juiced, I found some reflective silver paint, its $6. My only concern is it holding up to the heat of the bulbs. I might get some and try it out.

might work, yeah the heat could affect the reflective finish. I also found this chrome in a can, not to crazy about the price.

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killercans/kc/killerchrome.htm

Need turn signal flasher help P1070958_L
Need turn signal flasher help P1070941_L
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:03 am

wow... looks like cool stuff though. The paint that Chris posted a link to is specific for turn signal housings, so I'll probably get that if I cant find it locally anywhere. Its freakin' COLD out today and the next couple, so I wont be touching the car any time soon...
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down