G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

am fm 8 track radio mounting

+2
ant7377
Limey SE
6 posters

Go down

am fm 8 track radio mounting Empty am fm 8 track radio mounting

Post by Sam_snead01 Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:14 pm

When I purchased my 74 el camino somone had put a cd player where the original radio goes. I have removed the cd player and bought a bezel with the original radio knob holes in it and I'm kind of stopped at this point. The part of the actual dash where the knobs went through has been cut....but I'm not sure how to mount this thing in the car. Does anyone know if there is a bracket or something that goes on here? Anybody have any pics? Thanks!

Sam_snead01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

am fm 8 track radio mounting Empty Re: am fm 8 track radio mounting

Post by Limey SE Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:20 pm

with out the holes for the knobs you will have a fun time mounting that

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:26 pm

YOu are going to have to try and make some kind of bracket to hold the radio in the right spot so the dash bezel goes over it sort of eye it .The radio is kinda big so its not going to be that tough.Maybe get a helper put on the new dash bezel and have helper move the radio around till it looks good. I did it too but with an aftermarket radio called a retro sound.It was tough since the new one was so small but looked kinda stock once it was all mounted. I dont care for modern radios in a nice stockish type car .Ruins the atmosphere inside.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_snead01 Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:44 pm

ok so i need to figure out a way to get the front part back...maybe hit a junk yard and fiberglass the fron piece on as it will be hidden behine the bezel...But what holds the back of it up???? Is it a side mount? A mount on the back?

Sam_snead01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:54 pm

See this part of you dash that is hold MOST .... I SAY AGAIN MOST of our year radios in there you can ad some of that muffler wrap strap stuff that has holes in it and secure it fire wall to keep from bouncing

am fm 8 track radio mounting 7c1b31dc

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_snead01 Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:16 am

dammit always something

Sam_snead01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:25 pm

The back is held up by the bracket that bolts to the sides there isnt anything back there try the muffler strap method . Bolt it to the radio then find a spot behind the dash to bolt the other end.You might be able to make the front mounting holes from a sheet of counter top sample (formica) its strong.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_snead01 Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:44 pm

ok there is a metal piece that would run alone the side of the radio inside the dash on the driver's side...is this where that bracket would go? Does it bolt to that and the radio? Do you have any pics? Do you know where i can get one?

Sam_snead01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Just got back from the yard and can offer some insight on this, Ben. Just to the left of the radio opening is a metal support bracket attached to the backside of the front of the dash. You can easily see it with the radio out. You'll notice it has a v-shaped slot. This is where you can attach the mtg stud that would be on the left side of the radio. If that radio doesn't have the stud w/nut, I grabbed one for you.

Now, as for the dash where someone cut out the radio opening, I thought you might be able to make quick work of repairing yours by affixing an intact one cut from another dash. I grabbed one of those for you, too. Sent one of these to Andrej (abaj) last Summer/Fall because he had the same problem with his dash. Andrej, if you are reading this, maybe you can enlighten us as to how that worked?

I'll PM you with pics to show what I'm talking about.

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_snead01 Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:58 pm

awesome man thanks...yea that bracket still exists...that made my day....let me know what I owe you for shipping and send me a pay pal invoice using my email address....that really makes my day...awesome

Sam_snead01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_snead01 Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Ok I got the piece to fix the dash...it was a nice cut out from the part that holds the climate control all the way to a litle more than the bottom...than from diver's side knob mount to a little more than passenger side mounts. My radio hole had just a majority of the knob supports cut out...the rest was still there. After considering many options involving stucture support and effort vs result; I ended up trimming the piece around the perimerter to fit just under the middle of the climate control suppot...then to the bottom inside of the radio cut out...then from radio knob support to radio knob support. So, basically an overlay. I made all cuts with an pnematic dremal and a thin cut off disc. I then took the disc and shaved all the rased support molding and the mold on the back that holds the theads for the screw to the bezel....it fit great and fit flush. I placed the bezel over the dash and there was no gap! It has worked perfect so far. The only thing I have to due is figure out how I'm going to fasten it. Either small screws or epoxy of some sort, but it actually feels like its sandwiched enough to supoport itself. I will still fasten it though

Sam_snead01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:42 pm

You're the man!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_snead01 Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:54 pm

let me know what I owe you thanks again

Sam_snead01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:28 pm

Hey, if you want to send me a little something to help offset the cost of gas running out there and back, that's cool with me.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_snead01 Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:54 am

your email = pay pal?

Sam_snead01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:55 am

Yep...that is correct. Did the mtg stud for the radio work for you? Thanks, man!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:09 pm

hey, i havent used that part yet because i still havent found an uncut bezel. keep an eye out for one, will you Steve? thanks!!

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Any day now, Andrej...I can feel it!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

am fm 8 track radio mounting Empty 8 track player cut off radio

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun May 14, 2023 4:05 pm

Not sure if any of you car wizards are also familiar with the 8 track radio. I replaced the AM radio with a NOS FM radio with 8 track player that fit perfectly many years ago like 1991. I really never used the 8 track player as the FM radio was fine for many years. I think I stuck a tape or two back in the day just to see if it worked.

Anyway with less and less on the radio these days I decided to see if the 8 track was still working. So I stuck a fresh tape in but it had trouble going in. I wiggled it a bit and it went in further but not enough so I ejected it cleanly. But then I noticed the radio was off. I tried fiddling with but cannot restore the radio although I hear a slight pop when turning it on. I think whatever hands off the player to the radio is stuck. But I can't see anything. Does anyone know the player gizmo that turns off/on the radio. Couldn't find any parts schematic for the combined radio/player.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun May 14, 2023 4:58 pm

My friend Kevin Wagner on Facebook restores them to brand new condition and is not very expensive at all Just shoot him a message and Tell him I sent you Anthony aka Limeys shirt house

am fm 8 track radio mounting Screen30

am fm 8 track radio mounting 326232101_580940030207282_6424181360827151588_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=thQl6zCJb5MAX8sBadY&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun May 14, 2023 5:19 pm

Limey SE wrote:My friend Kevin Wagner on Facebook restores them to brand new condition and is not very expensive at all Just shoot him a message and Tell him I sent you Anthony aka Limeys shirt house

am fm 8 track radio mounting Screen30

Thanks for the vendor. Although for all intents and purposes the player is brand new but its just suffering from years on the road I guess. I cleaned it up a bit but there was very little dust and dirt and now it is very clean looking. I think it may be just one little part that is stuck but I am afraid to blindly oil things. I'll see what he says. Thanks also for your referral
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun May 14, 2023 9:19 pm

I have played around with a couple spare AM/FM/8-track players I've pulled at JY's and believe the switch you are talking about is located on the roof inside the cavity where the tape is inserted. You can see it when the flap door is held in fully open position. You can also remove the front of the radio if the radio is out of the car.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

am fm 8 track radio mounting Empty 8 track player malfunction

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun May 14, 2023 9:42 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:I have played around with a couple spare AM/FM/8-track players I've pulled at JY's and believe the switch you are talking about is located on the roof inside the cavity where the tape is inserted.  You can see it when the flap door is held in fully open position.  You can also remove the front of the radio if the radio is out of the car.

Thanks so much. I suspected that because I could see nothing that seemed like a switch in the back or on the floor. I will have to get a small mirror and try to find it. It is possible that was what was impeding my attempted insertion of the tape cartridge. Thanks and I'll let you know what i see and if I can free it or oil it.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Wed May 17, 2023 11:33 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:I have played around with a couple spare AM/FM/8-track players I've pulled at JY's and believe the switch you are talking about is located on the roof inside the cavity where the tape is inserted.  You can see it when the flap door is held in fully open position.  You can also remove the front of the radio if the radio is out of the car.

Mcarlo!!!  You da man!!

I put a small mirror inside and saw a few open areas in the roof of the player. In the opening at center right I could see something that looked like a mechanism. So I put some sewing machine oil on a quilted pad to avoid dripping and applied it to to the area. Not much happened. So I did it again and felt something move slightly. So a third time and this freed it. It's a small tang that rides on a little slider. After working it a bit I was able to move it all the way back. Voila, the radio worked. Just noting this procedure if someone else gets the same issue. No need to take the radio out of the car.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down