G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stack of Cutlasses

+6
77mali
jerry46765
DiscoMalibu
74MonteCarlo
Limey SE
The Dude
10 posters

Go down

Stack of Cutlasses Empty Stack of Cutlasses

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri May 20, 2011 1:23 pm

Another pic of some "A" bodies that some (like Limey!) might enjoy seeing. Hate it when the yard stacks cars like this.

Stack of Cutlasses Yardof10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Stack of Cutlasses Empty Re: Stack of Cutlasses

Post by The Dude Fri May 20, 2011 1:41 pm

The black 74(?) makes me weep. Never been a fan of the quad headlight cars, but still a shame to see yards do this to any car. Basically it says "we'd rather scrap the cars than sell you some parts".
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri May 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked OH MY GOODNESS what a waste of cars there but maybe ....just maybe the ones that were stacked on allready had a bad roof ?? Jus sayin

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Fri May 20, 2011 6:10 pm

Black one's a 75.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri May 20, 2011 7:00 pm

There's a red '74 "S" down the row...along with a white '73 Supreme and another black '75 "S". Another row has a couple '74/'75's each. Should have taken a pic of the lime green '74 at the opposite end of the yard for ya, Limey! Friggin' "A" bodies all over the place!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:07 am

Looks like there's enough parts there to make a good car or two! Very Happy
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:38 pm

We had a salvage yard across from the Auburn Cord Auction Complex that had all the cars stacked like that. They were almost militant about letting people in the yard too, but I made it in a few times. There were great complete cars stacked on top of the other. They would bust windshields out in order to get in lower cars which would ruin everything in the interior after one winter. When the owner finally died, I think there were back taxes owed, and they scraped everything. 50s,60s, & 70s all crushed. They dug up lots of dirt and hauled it away to clean up spilled toxics. Now just an empty field. What a shame.
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:14 pm

I've been going to this yard for over ten years now and have watched more than one car slowly sink down into the one below it as the sheet metal fatigues from the weight above. Soon, you can't get the doors open...not to mention being able to open the hoods to pull parts. It's a shame...
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:37 pm

I never understood the stacking logic in a salvage yard. In the lower cars, you have to pull drivelines or you can't get them out easily, and the interiors are virtually impossible to get to, and the body usually gets trashed. What is really salvagable from the lower cars?
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:58 pm

Exactly!! To make matters worse, with these Cutlasses, they've got them sitting so close to each other that you can barely walk between them...let alone be able to open a door wide enough to pull door panels, pwr window/lock components, etc. Mad
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Gosh Darn-it, what a waste! If you're doing to do that, might as well crush them, what's the sense of letting them rot away & slowly collapsing?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by El Road Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:24 pm

It sucks, but atleast maybe some parts will be saved vs. the car just being scrapped to save space. Space better be limited for it to happen though.

El Road
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:05 pm

i worked at a yard that stacked but only on cars the were pretty much striped and if hoods trunks were sellable we would un bolt and leave on car so it could be removed but some interiors went to waste and usually our abodys and other "less desirable" models
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:51 pm

Ive been to a couple yards like this, and there were a small row of 2nd gen Montes. I remember climbing up into one of the top cars to get some parts once. Was probably not the brightest idea now that I look back, lol.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Yeah...I've done some not-so-bright things when out at these yards. Once was when a '75 Malibu wagon was tipped on it's side; presumably so the yard owner could pull something off the bottom. Well, I tried rocking it back and forth to see if it was stable and then climbed up on the driver's side to access the temp control through the open window. Had half my body inside while unbolting it. Could have been interesting if that thing had rolled on over...or, back onto it's wheels!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down