G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Body Filler....&^%$#@*!

+2
Fishgrinder
JB2wheeler
6 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Body Filler....&^%$#@*! Empty Body Filler....&^%$#@*!

Post by 77mali Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:02 pm

OK...dumb question but I'm gonna ask it. (not a body-man here). How little hardener do you actually need for filler to set up properly? Can I use less than a "pea to golf ball" ratio? I ask cause I'm fighting a loosing battle w/ filler setting up to fast on my mixing board (using a metal board)...It's been muggy here and I think the humidity may have something to do w/ it too....any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Body Filler....&^%$#@*! Empty Re: Body Filler....&^%$#@*!

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:52 pm

You can not go too low on hardner without suffering consequences. The best thing to do is stick very closely to the instructions sheet. One thing to remember is the hotter it is, the less hardner you can get by with and the colder the weather is the more hardner you can use and get away with it. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks JB. Maybe I'll have to keep the components iced in a cooler...good excuse to buy beer and have that on hand...just in case. Drinking Party
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:21 am

When doing it, keep AWAY from the sun & heat! Sure bet that you won't get any work accomplished working outside unless you are under some shade with that stuff. Also you are mixing it on metal which conducts heat. Maybe try something plastic or wooden. I've even used cardboard in a pinch.

JB is right, don't mess with the mixture or you will have a worse fight later on trying to sand & paint over it. Too little & it won't harden all the way through... too much & you will have a flaky disaster down the road.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:13 am

Thanks guys...I'm gonna try the cardboard Rago....tossing that in the trash sounds better than cleaning off the other board. The roof is tough to do... used JB Weld epoxy on all the rough areas (after removing the vinyl tops- yes there were 2) and had no problem at all...now filling in the minor stuff has become a pain, especially around the curves just above the opera's. When they made vinyl top cars they were not concerned at all with irregularities or perfect curves....I HATE bondo.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:25 am

A mixingboard with disposable sheets is what you're looking for:

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Catalogue__FILLERS_12.html

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks...that looks good...R U in England?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:16 am

77mali wrote:Thanks...that looks good...R U in England?

No, was just the first and best link I found Wink I'm in Norway.

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:34 am

I know I'm early but since your in Norway....Happy Leiv Erikson Day! Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:40 am

Also u can use glass as a mixing board, and clean up is easy. Cardboard will absorb the hardener and filler. What brand of body filler are u using, hope its not the "Bondo" brand. I never had any good experience with bondo brand.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:13 pm

Yes cardboard does soak up some, but not bad enough that it can't be used if you have nothing else. Guess I should have just stated that using something disposable will make clean up easier. I still would prefer it over using metal just because of it's heat transfer properties though.

F*** Bondo. It's nice to call it like a household name like calling nitrous "NOS", but doesn't mean you should use it. I'm much happier to use a good fiberglass filler, some fiberglass mats, fiberglass sheets, or just a skim of finishing glaze to help smooth things out at the end. If fiberglass is good enough to build complete cars & boats out of, then it's good enough to work as small patch panels IMHO. Definitely good enough to use to skim over dents. The mats suck since you end up with so many strands all over you that just won't quit itching until you've took a couple of showers & you are guaranteed to ruin your clothes, but sometimes you have to use it vs a sheet or just filler.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:40 pm

OJ-
Bondo gold (actually not that bad & sands good). I think the main problem for me, in addition to the mixing board, is finding a consistent ratio that reacts the same each time it's mixed. They don't make it easy to get it right with the packaging...think it's supposed to be 50:1 by volume? OK....like that's going to happen with a quart can and a tube....maybe if mixed all at once but when doing small areas that's not going to happen. I guess practice makes perfect...with adjustments for temperature, humidity and the position of the heavens... scratch I'll post some pics when my roof is done (and you can all have a good laugh-but hopefully not).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by badbiscayne66 Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:59 pm

I use cardboard.....Mix small amounts at a time........Fist size or smaller....
make a SS about two inches tall with hardener and mix......I usually use red so mine is a nice straberry ice cream color..............Be ready to apply it before mixing........too little you can put more on top mix too much is just wasted.........shape with a file that looks like a cheese grader....
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Ok...so I used my aluminum board with "clean sheets". Did end up storing the filler and hardener in a cooler with "ice packs". Slowed the set time down by about 5 minutes which was perfect for me. The can felt like a cold beer..LOL. Anyway...a few weeks have gone by and after sanding, sanding and you guessed it; more sanding I was able to do the first coat of primer on the roof today. Just in time too as it is now raining and I had to cover the car! Dried about an hour before the rain started. (Lucky!). I'm going to start a new thread about the car and post some before & after pics of various things but the 1st will be the roof! Here's a teaser.
Body Filler....&^%$#@*! P1000610
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down