G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seat belts for bench? 73? 74?

5 posters

Go down

Seat belts for bench? 73? 74? Empty Seat belts for bench? 73? 74?

Post by Jedediah Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:23 am

Ok so i am pulling parts off of a 74 Olds and alot of stuff looks same as the 73 chevelle with exception of the front seat belt setup and dash. I also looked at a 77 grand prix had the same seat bealt set up for the bucket seats. So what i am asking about is where the should strap mounts. My car has some not retractable shoulder straps hangn from there not sure if this is factory as they are in a slightly different location. The ones on the grand prix and olds are retractable. Is this the case for all chevelles? Or just the 73 or what. Give me the low down on this please guys.
thanks
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Seat belts for bench? 73? 74? Empty Re: Seat belts for bench? 73? 74?

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:46 am

1973 was the only year that had the two-piece non-retractable seat belts. I haven't tried to fit later year belts in so I don't know what it would take to swap them.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:22 am

'73 Chevelle with buckets had two piece seat belts; lower was auto retractable, and upper was manual adjustable which clipped into the male portion of the lower retractable belt.

I have an unmolested '74 sitting in the middle of the shop with a bench seat and I don't honestly remember what it has for seat belts in the front. I think it was a one piece (hip & shoudler) retractable. The rear is retractable on both sides and manual in the middle. How do I know? Because I stuffed a car seat in the middle of the back seat.

I'll check when I get home.

Thanks-
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Seat belts for bench? 73? 74? Empty re: seat belts for bench? 73? 74?

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:57 am

The one year only style of shoulder belts used on '73's were mtd a little further forward than on '74 thru '77. Here is a pic of RH side sail panels pulled from a '73 Lemans (top) vs '74 Lemans. You'll notice the seat belt notch at the upper left on the '73 panel. The wider opening on the '74 is located further to the right along the top. Otherwise, these would be interchangeable. This is typical of all the 2-dr "A" bodies.

Seat belts for bench? 73? 74? 74vs7310
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Dang, MC77....you're like an A-Body Webster's! Beer
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:53 pm

Yeah...you crawl in and around as many "A" bodies as I have, you're bound to retain some information! This happened to have been a photo I took to help another guy who had the exact same question as yours. Actually, I'm in the process of compiling a complete interchange of all interior trim pcs among the various '73-'77 makes and models. Maybe that info is already available in Hollander...I don't know.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:15 pm

Ah dang it. I was hoping that mine were not correct and i could put the 74 seat belts in my 73 chevelle. I have both panels and noticed the notch. Any suggestions; is it possible to upgrade to the 74 seat belt style? There also a complete 77 grand prix with buckets and center console.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:41 pm

Just don't know how you could do that and get the trim panels to work for you since it's so close to the leading edge. Besides, isn't the '73 shoulder strap retainer bolted in place with just one bolt...as compared to two bolts that attach the '74 retractor? There are brackets welded into the roof support to accept these bolts and it seems to me that it's just not feasible to switch from one style to the other.

Regarding the '77 Grand Prix, next time out, see if it has a tach dash. Also, look for a nice pair of black front outer seat belt retractors for the buckets. Must be non-power buckets. And, a black knee pad on the passenger side of the floor console.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Well i have the panels for both. My 73 has 2 bolts that bolt to the pillar where as i noticed that the 74 is higher more on the rough with 2 bolts. On my 73 in the same spot there what looks like the same shape of the belt retracter.

The Prix has round gauges and the seats need recovered and new foam probly. Has what looks like the same style as the 74 retracters that i want.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:34 am

All the GP's had round gauges...so, next time out, maybe check for a tach. They are rare, so don't get your hopes up. Is this place reasonably priced?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:04 pm

So far they seem to be. I got bumpers for my 73 chevelle for 75 a peice they are not in perfect shape have deep scatches. where some used the jack slot is ugly. I am getting all the plastics out of a 74 cutlass for 80. This is what i am dealing with so far. I will look that GP next time it was a auto on the floor so it probly doesnt have a tach uhhh?
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:49 pm

The tach was supplied with floor automatics as well. I've only come across two of them, myself. Guys restoring the CanAms, Grand Ams, GTO's(rare) are looking for these.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:47 pm

It will be along time til i am able to get back up there but i will let you know what i find.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:22 pm

Ok no Tack in the Grand Prix but i need to find seat belts still.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down