G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings!!!!

+4
Limey SE
Mcarlo77
bigredlaguna
JB2wheeler
8 posters

Go down

Greetings!!!! Empty Greetings!!!!

Post by BCTRIdaho Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi everyone, very new to this type of car!! My son and I picked up a 1974 Chevy Chevelle Malibu. We are seeing alot of cars that are very similar but none that look like this one. It has a SBC 350 and everything works even the A/C Any info would be great
[img]Greetings!!!! 07081112[/img]

BCTRIdaho
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Greetings!!!! Empty Re: Greetings!!!!

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Welcome to the site...glad you found us here! Congratulations on your new family member! Looks like the perfect candidate for you and your son to have some fun together freshening this beauty up...for him to drive?!! You'll find some great members on this site with tons of hands-on experience...along with some who are just getting their feet wet with these cars. Feel free to ask questions and surely someone on here will be able to assist.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by BCTRIdaho Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks Mcarlo77! Ya my son is loving this car, he is an adult so he will have a blast driving it. BUT from searching the site i am not sure what this is. Vin has it as a 74 chevy malibu classic. and it says Chevelle on the emblems. Also has 350 emblems so i assumed it has a 350 but who knows. aslo the the half back window with a full vinyl roof. it almost looks like someone filled in the back side windows??

BCTRIdaho
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:54 pm

Welcome to the site. You will learn a lot here and you might even teach us something. Thats what its all about. About those back windows, that was a GM procedure they used to make the same car look differant in as many ways as they could. That car does not look like much, but I bet it will be a lot better looking before you are finished with it. One thing we all learned here is that vinyl tops are a rust magnet! JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:27 pm

Looks like a good foundation. My first G3 was a 74 Malibu Classic. If it had a vinyl top it was gone by the time I got it. Otherwise it was like yours.

The hardest part with these cars right now is finding good interior pieces. No one reproduces them as far as I know.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:44 pm

I'll try and help with the interior trims if you need it. Been collecting them as I come across nice ones out in the local yards.

JB is right about those qtr windows. With that vinyl top removed, it looks like someone welded a patch panel in there. In fact, that's exactly what the factory did. I've heard it referred to as a Y76 option car. They did this with the Cutlass and Lemans back then, too.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:01 pm

you are correct MC77 my 74 Malbu was same way it had malibu on the fenders and chevelle on the trunk lid LOL go figure anyways thats what the factory did it was because of lack of metal during strikes in the factories back in the day and they had to make do with what they had

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by BCTRIdaho Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:24 pm

[img]Greetings!!!! 07211110[/img]

Here is were we are today! took it out for a little test drive! WOW she runs. Speedo says 38k and from looking at things it might be true. The inside is in almost mint condition with a few cracks on the dash. Its going to be a fun one to play with. new exhaust is next.

BCTRIdaho
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:48 am

Welcome! These 73-77 A bodies are great cars to restore & customize.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by 74chick Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:15 am

Welcome aboard. happy bowtie
74chick
74chick
G3GM Member