G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali

+40
pila
dynchel
Mcarlo77
Joe73
driveit
Hawk03
Fishgrinder
1973 454 MONTE
bracketchev1221
Limey SE
chevellelaguna
1973montec
Bruisr
bigredlaguna
jerry46765
BicknellWelding
geoff528
2fat2fly
Jim_Rockford
DiscoMalibu
Brainstain
Laguna Budman
Dubie
74MonteCarlo
JB2wheeler
WyldeBill66
Wallyuph
dragons_lair59
77ElClassic
Dead Man
Graham Perkins
jrb75
chromereverse
Checyxtc
74Guna
texan01
abajc3
JiMi_DRiX
orange Juiced
HDHugger
44 posters

Page 1 of 27 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

Go down

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 Empty Re: 1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali

Post by 77mali Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Well, the Lord giveth & the Lord taketh-away...Started her up this am no problem. Brought up to temp...no issues. Later on in the day she didn't turn over. Don't know if this is fuel issue, as carb is pretty shot. There was a bit of a rough idle and a backfire or two when running. Noticed when putting the exhaust manifold back on this PM that there was an oily residue on the #6 port. The rest were only "sooty" Maybe a ring there? Anyway, She's put back together and waiting for the bench seat to go back in temporarily and rest of the work on the column so I can hopefully drive it. What stinks is all I wanted to do was move her to a new spot. ARRGH! Mad Anyone else go through something similar?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 Empty Re: 1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali

Post by texan01 Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm going through that with my DD 95 Explorer. Here lately it's been the project car and the 77 has been the DD. Good thing it's dead reliable!

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Well since last time I've made the decision to disassemble the engine and have the lower end components evaluated locally. I think it's a head gasket at best and possibly in addition a bad set of rings on two cylinders on the even side of the block. We'll go from there & hopefully will have it up to them in a couple of weeks. Thus far the entire front assembly minus the bumper is off the car. Radiator, radiator/condenser housing, fan, alternator, pulleys, belts, water pump, carb..etc...now cataloging all the pics for reassembly. Oh what fun. Here she is without her "teeth". Most parts are still worth restoring too which is good!

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 P1010019

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 P1010020

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 P1010021

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 P1010022

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 P1010023

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 P1010024
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:13 pm

Looks like you have a lot of clean-up to do on your engine installation. How many miles on the engine ?
Maybe the cylinder bores will accept a ridge ream, a honing, & new rings. Problem there is, cleaning the ring grooves on the pistons etc. Pain in the butt...

Got a ball-park figure on how much you can spend on the engine?

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Have a great shop up here to do all that. If needed will have them rebuild & balance the bottom end. With all that needs to be done to get her on the road...my time is at a premium. Would rather have it blueprinted & done up right. No idea how many miles on the engine, the body has 134k but engine is not the original 305.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:49 pm

So I spoke to my engine shop & they did confirm that the heads are from a 305 but block is a 350 5.7 L. Going to swap heads for some 23 degree Vortec & will have to get new intake too as the old one will no longer work. Have not pulled the heads yet but will look at the cylinder walls once I do that to be sure there is no issues w/ the pistons & rings. I sent him this pic and he said by looking at it it was probably a low mileage engine that I should reuse w/ the better heads. Should make from 320-340 HP. Not to shabby for just cruising LOL just gotta remove all the grime & rust from the thing sitting. Wish me luck though!

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 P1010210

Edit- sent him this pic....prior to covering the oil galleries...

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 P1010211

Last edited by 77mali on Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:26 pm

The galleries do look clean! To late to turn around now Mali, keep up the good work Wink

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:59 am

Fishgrinder wrote:The galleries do look clean! To late to turn around now Mali, keep up the good work Wink

Yes they are, very. I owe my wife a can of Easy-Off oven cleaner...used it to clean out the bottom & cross over in the Air intake manifold. Worked good...the manifold was a little cleaner than the ports you see in the Heads in the previous pics. Good riddance to those! There is some carbon build up as well on the tops of the Pistons but nothing a little Seafoam won't cure. No grooves or rust inside there aside from the very top on some near where the gaskets were. I think once everything is back on, that will clear up as well. she also needs a reverse flush on the cooling chambers...I was not surprised to see a very "gunky" coolant slurry when I was pumping it out near the bolt holes...pretty gross.

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 P1010212

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 P1010213
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:16 pm

Finally got the engine casting # from the back of the block clean and legible. #14093638...circa 1987-1995. The research shows that this casting corresponds with assemblies that were either 2 or 4 bolt mains and came w/ either a flat tappet or roller cam. Mine are flat tap, so I'm assuming that it's a 2 bolt main. These engines went in everything from Camaro's & Blazer's to Pick-ups, so just your run of the mill block I suppose. I may pull the pan to check just for giggles after the new heads & intake go on, hopefully this weekend. Not sure after all if I'm going to rebuild the Q jet or get may end up going w/ a new or factory reconditioned Edelbrock Carb. The heads are a fairly new design by RHS & are aftermarket Vortec heads that mate w/ Edelbrock Vortec Performer intakes (not sure of this part #). I hope this turns out good as this set up will set me back some on the many other things that need to be done before road worthiness.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:14 pm

pila wrote:Looks like you have a lot of clean-up to do on your engine installation. How many miles on the engine ?
Maybe the cylinder bores will accept a ridge ream, a honing, & new rings. Problem there is, cleaning the ring grooves on the pistons etc. Pain in the butt...

Got a ball-park figure on how much you can spend on the engine?

Heads/Intake/Gaskets approx 1K. (better than a total rebuild I suppose or crate motor).

Reusing the rocker covers too...clean up & paint to save some $$.
1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 P1010412
Not perfect but will do for now.
1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 P1010413
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:51 pm

Vortec top end job loosely test- fitted for now but end result coming soon, hopefully. Will edit in more pics & content @ a later date. Decided on rebuilding the Q-JET.

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 2 P1010610
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:56 pm

OMG do I love that QuadraJet.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:54 pm

74MonteCarlo wrote:OMG do I love that QuadraJet.

Thanks. I looked at Edelbrock but for the money, this was a better deal to rebuild (and a better carb too IMHO).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:56 pm

Hell yeah.

My dad tried a Holley & Edelbrock on his 70 Chevelle, ran like garbage with both. Nothing like a good ol' QuadraJet...

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Guna Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:58 pm

The pictures and descriptions you have posted are very helpful, even though they are making me dread the bodywork ahead of me even more! I have a very special place is my heart for 77's as I had a light blue 77 Malibu Classic in high school that I LOVED! Keep up the good work. BTW, you might have to share some info on the Q-jet. I have never preferred them since the Holly is maybe (?) better known or widespread enough that I could always find help and info on the Holly when I needed it! Maybe someone can help me "see what I'm missing" haha! Keep rolling on your project and keep up the pics so we can see over your shoulder!
74Guna
74Guna
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks 74 Guna.
Body work stinks but I hate rust and it must be stopped at all costs! LOL. I've had my Mali since last November and it's sometimes been a slow and tedious process. This is a great forum & people are eager to help or offer their advice or share similar experiences, so you've come to the right place. I was a lurker here for a long time before I bought the car. I'm having fun even though sometime S**T happens and you get ticked off. No offense to anyone but I'll take it good & bad over say...stamp collecting, any day! As far as Q jet vs Holley, everyone has their own opinions. I like the Q-jet because it seems to just run "right" in these GM A's...like they were made for one another....oh wait they were!
Beer
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Guna Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:24 pm

This site is great, I hate the common presumption that the Chevelle died at the end of 1972! I'm disabled (3 back surgeries in 4 years) so my rate of improvement is waaaay behind yours! If I see others getting it done maybe it will help push me along. And the Q-Jet, oh what agony mine has caused. Of course I learned a long time ago that most "carb" problems are actually ignition problems but tuning the Q-jet is a skill I just lack! I look forward to sharing progress and success with you, this is a great hobby isn't it?
74Guna
74Guna
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:27 am

Here are a couple helpful sites for the Q Jet:
http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/myqjet.htm
http://carburetor.fateback.com/Rochester_Quadrajet_Tuning.html

Last edited by 77mali on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Guna Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Awesome tips! Guess I know what I'll be working on Sunday!! Thanks a lot!
74Guna
74Guna
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:59 pm

OK...car won't start. Had alternator tested (passed), had battery tested but only charged to 70% capacity (it's 850 cca) so there should be plenty of juice to turn it over...unless it's draining down fast? Here's the thing though, I can hear the key buzzer when placing the key in the ignition, then nothing when i try to turn the key, no engagement w/ the starter at all. Checked the wires and they seem fine as do battery cables. All necessary grounds are ok. Inside, the column wires are installed in the correct locations. Am I missing something? This is frustrating as the car is all put back together and I have to break in the new cylinder heads.... Head Bang
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Guna Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:38 pm

Sorry you've got starter gremlins! Are you sure the starter is engaging the flywheel? I wired one in my K5 incorrectly and didn't realize it until I pulled to take it in for a rebuild! Its easy to do. And never underestimate the power of percussive maintenance! I used to hit my starter with a hammer to get it to engage. Had to do it once or twice a week in high school with my 77 Malibu coupe. Let me know how it goes and I can't wait to hear about the new cylinder heads! Good luck!
74Guna
74Guna
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Checyxtc Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:40 am

Check your fuseable links bro, sounds like it might be the culprit.
Checyxtc
Checyxtc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Only one fusible link in there, that runs everything. So the key buzzer wouldn't work either if that link was out. How about the neutral switch, on the top of the column near the firewall ?
Of course it only takes one connection to be bad, to mess with us !!
Did you have the column wiring apart ?
You could try moving the shift lever around a bit while turning the key, to see if the neutral switch is a bit out of adjustment in park or neutral, etc...,and check the connector on that switch also........

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks guy's. I have all the column wiring in place. The wire to the starter might be an issue so I'm going to re-splice it. I think the big issue is the battery so in the next couple of days or this weekend I'm going to install the one in my daily driver to see (I know that one is good). Here's hoping the easy way works.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:44 pm

In regard to the Q-jet, there's a good book available by Cliff Ruggles. It's available at Amazon. It starts with the first models and goes through mods and rebuilding, through to the last versions. One interesting note on Q-jets, is that the fuel pressure limits changed in the later versions etc......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 27 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next