G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weatherstripping

+5
cees klumper
texan01
ant7377
2fat2fly
77mali
9 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Weatherstripping Empty Weatherstripping

Post by Landonus Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:01 pm

Highly recommend NOT purchasing your rubber made by METRO. Their products are in purple and black crosshatch designed packaging. I recently ordered some from ThePartsPlace store on ebay who I also do NOT recommend. The rubber is almost solid rubber all the way around the glass so it bunches up on the A pillar and the 90 on the B pillar is so thick it keeps the glass about an inch away from the rubber. Upon shutting the door the guide peeled away my tint which was nice also. I told the seller exactly what happened and he did not respond until I opened a case with ebay. The fellow said to send it back to receive a full refund and when I did he replied with "You purchased this part which is the wrong one for your car. You installed it and you sent it back to us damaged and impossible to use." After I told him I installed it AND the packaging said 73-77 Malibu/Chevelle at the top. I guess this is a little bit of a rant due to me being angry at the time I wrote this but yeah. Steer clear of them both for your own safety. Ebay has not resolved it yet and I will let you guys know what happens. I will try to post some pictures of this garbage product installed as well.[img][/img][img]Weatherstripping Oem_pa10[/img][img]Weatherstripping Metro_10[/img]
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Weatherstripping Empty Re: Weatherstripping

Post by Landonus Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:18 pm

first image you can see the b pillar chrome sticking out behind the original rubber. Second pic is of the METRO waaaay to fat to see the chrome.
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:20 pm

can you spot the METRO?Weatherstripping O10Weatherstripping M12
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Notice the gap at the top because the rubber on the B pillar that meets the door is so thick, also the thickness on the A pillar causing it to flare out. Am i crazy or is this a truly faulty product?Weatherstripping 2011-110Weatherstripping 2011-111
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Anyone successfully buy rubber for their G3? If so I would love a recommendation. After I sent it back I purchased some from SoffSeal and it fits for the most part but has a deformation in the 90 that keeps the glass from contacting the seal. Thanks.
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Did you install this product under the roof rail at the frame?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:14 pm

Metro is in my backyard. Want me to go up there and kick someone's A$$?

Sounds kind of similar to what Fishgrinder ran into on his Monte Carlo. Not sure who's product he used. Also, not sure who's product to recommend. Seems I read/hear about this kind of stuff on a regular basis. I worked in the molded/extruded rubber industry for 25+ yrs. and know how fickle this stuff can be coming out of the extruder. Too much of this and not enough of that and it grows or shrinks in size. If they aren't constantly monitoring the dimensions throughout each run, you'll likely end up with significant variations in size. That's why one guy will buy from them and have great luck with it fitting. Next guy says it sucks! I'm guessing GM had some pretty stringent quality control standards and their supplier threw a lot of product away because it didn't meet spec. I think the other problem is duplicating the exact rubber/sponge compound as original; including density. And, guess what the driving force is with substituting a different compound or cutting corners on a molding process...COST! I know this doesn't help with finding a compatible product, but just thought I'd shed some light on the manufacturing end of it. As for me, I bought some NOS weatherstripping for my Monte on e-Bay several years ago for just this reason. Yeah, it cost more...but, I knew it would fit.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks for the input, I also worked for a company that made stripping as well for about a year. I mainly ran the glue and flak. We messed stuff up all the time due to the company hiring only through a staffing agency. New people all the time is def not a good ethic, lol.
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Landonus wrote:Thanks for the input, I also worked for a company that made stripping as well for about a year. New people all the time is def not a good ethic, lol.

You got that right! The machinery required an experienced touch that didn't come in a manual. Right extruding speed, temp, curing, winding on a spool, etc. that could only come through trial and error on the line. Every compound...every density...every profile behaved differently. Even from one piece of equipment to another. I was in the Corporate Sales end of it and was always on the front line when complaints of things not being to spec came in. I'd have to go out in the shop and chat with the Prod. Mgr and equipment operator to see what happened on a bad batch...have the customer return the bad stuff (and, of course, throw it in the dumpster...total loss)...then, remake another batch.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cees klumper Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:09 pm

FWIW, I just installed a new set of weatherstripping for my 4th gen El Camino that was manufactured by Metro, their 'Supersoft' brand, and couldn't be happier with the fit and quality. Really seals the windows I would almost say perfectly, I hardly needed to do any trimming of the doors/glass to get a really good seal. So that would confirm Mcarlo77's take on this.
cees klumper
cees klumper
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by 2fat2fly Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:28 am

Landonus wrote:Notice the gap at the top because the rubber on the B pillar that meets the door is so thick, also the thickness on the A pillar causing it to flare out. Am i crazy or is this a truly faulty product?Weatherstripping 2011-110Weatherstripping 2011-111
not sure but I think you may need to adjust your glass in the frame, it doesn't appear to fit the framework very well ????????
there are stops inside to adjust the distance the glass travels ( I think )
2fat2fly
2fat2fly
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:39 am

I think there is some adjustment nescessary there, But to back you up there is many instances where they sell stuff that "kinda fits" and its crap. Try "Steele" they seem very reputable and sell a better quality product.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:43 am

a trick I learned was to apply vaseline to the rubber, and then roll the window up with the door open, and then close the door and let it sit overnight

you will then have a perfect seal and allow the window to roll up and down with the door closed.

Ran into that with my my buddy's 71 convertible and my 76 when I replaced the front door uppers. the Vaseline trick made it like factory. and the 76 had never had the windows out of adjustment.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by cees klumper Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:08 am

texan01 wrote:a trick I learned was to apply vaseline to the rubber, and then roll the window up with the door open, and then close the door and let it sit overnight

you will then have a perfect seal and allow the window to roll up and down with the door closed.

Ran into that with my my buddy's 71 convertible and my 76 when I replaced the front door uppers. the Vaseline trick made it like factory. and the 76 had never had the windows out of adjustment.

I did the same thing; one overnight sitting (didn't think of the vaseline though) made a significant difference in the fit as the rubber molded itself to the glass.
cees klumper
cees klumper
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:09 am

You must have read it in Car Craft years ago then.... Thumbs up

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by cees klumper Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:40 am

Haha, no, but it did seem like a logical thing to do, especially looking at how the old rubber had been shaped by the glass. I will try some vaseline now, probably will still smoothen things out further.
cees klumper
cees klumper
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:31 am

As Mcarlo77 said I did run in to a problem with my weatherstrip kit from Metro (Metro Supersoft RKB1900-111). However, that was just a tiny gap at the rear of the door, as you see in the picture. Seems like the seal bends inwards just a tad to early. Otherwise I think the roof rail seal fit very well, and it dropped nicely in to the rail that holds it. Since I had both windows out of the door, I had to do the adjustment process from scratch. I've driven the car in rain and washed it with a high pressure washer, and it is tight. The trunk gasket also fit nicely.

Weatherstripping DSCF3458

I just have to ask: did you clean out the old gasket remains and glue properly before you started, and is it installed correctly? Strange it sticks out like that on the a-pillar. I also reckon some adjustment will be necessary unless the new gasket is 100% like the original. Seems like the rear of your window should be pushed inwards as you pointed out.

Dont have any pictures of my roof rail seals installed at hand.

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:54 am

MCarlo77 is spot on -- the quality is not uniform, be it Metro, SoffSeal, Steele, whoever. However, I think most of your bad experience was the seller, especially based on your description of how you were treated afterward. I have bought from Metro directly, and had good luck with the trunk and window strips, and mediocre luck with the door strips, which needed some "coaxing" to fit properly on the end caps.

However, I did discover that I had to readjust my glass to get a good fit against the new stuff, which seems to be slightly thicker than the old. I also discovered the new stuff tends to "stick" -- for this I wiped it down with 303 vinyl/convertible top treatment, which makes it very slick. I also found that upgrading to power windows didn't hurt -- the power window motors generate more torque than I could by hand to seal the windows against the weatherstripping.

Mark

thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:20 pm

2fat2fly wrote:
Landonus wrote:Notice the gap at the top because the rubber on the B pillar that meets the door is so thick, also the thickness on the A pillar causing it to flare out. Am i crazy or is this a truly faulty product?Weatherstripping 2011-110Weatherstripping 2011-111
not sure but I think you may need to adjust your glass in the frame, it doesn't appear to fit the framework very well ????????
there are stops inside to adjust the distance the glass travels ( I think )

I forgot to take a picture of the rubber at where the door meets the post. The rubber there along the pillar with the push clips in it was solid and very thick. That is why the glass is so far out. I think it might have messed something up because I had to leave it on there about a week until the new rubber came in the mail because the old was unuseable. But I always shut the door while it was rolled down and rolled it up and got out the passenger side. It was so thick I thought it was going to break it. My window now flops in and out when the door is open or not rolled all the way up and may be why it is not sealing correctly now. Crying or Very sad
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Fishgrinder wrote:As Mcarlo77 said I did run in to a problem with my weatherstrip kit from Metro (Metro Supersoft RKB1900-111). However, that was just a tiny gap at the rear of the door, as you see in the picture. Seems like the seal bends inwards just a tad to early. Otherwise I think the roof rail seal fit very well, and it dropped nicely in to the rail that holds it. Since I had both windows out of the door, I had to do the adjustment process from scratch. I've driven the car in rain and washed it with a high pressure washer, and it is tight. The trunk gasket also fit nicely.

I just have to ask: did you clean out the old gasket remains and glue properly before you started, and is it installed correctly? Strange it sticks out like that on the a-pillar. I also reckon some adjustment will be necessary unless the new gasket is 100% like the original. Seems like the rear of your window should be pushed inwards as you pointed out.

Last edited by Landonus on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:28 pm

Landonus wrote:
Fishgrinder wrote:As Mcarlo77 said I did run in to a problem with my weatherstrip kit from Metro (Metro Supersoft RKB1900-111). However, that was just a tiny gap at the rear of the door, as you see in the picture. Seems like the seal bends inwards just a tad to early. Otherwise I think the roof rail seal fit very well, and it dropped nicely in to the rail that holds it. Since I had both windows out of the door, I had to do the adjustment process from scratch. I've driven the car in rain and washed it with a high pressure washer, and it is tight. The trunk gasket also fit nicely.

Yeah. I actually took a drill with a wire wheel and ground all the old gunk out of the rails, then shot the naked metal with some flat black roll bar/chassis paint.
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:31 pm

How do you go about adjusting the glass?

On another note Ebay refunded my money and the seller is stuck with the negative feedback I left. They also refunded the $11 and change it took to mail the package back. Very Happy
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Landonus wrote:How do you go about adjusting the glass?

On another note Ebay refunded my money and the seller is stuck with the negative feedback I left. They also refunded the $11 and change it took to mail the package back. Very Happy

Good to hear you sorted it out.

I found a picture of the roof rail installed:
Weatherstripping DSCF3488_zoom

Forgot to mention that couple of the plastic push pins didn't line up with the holes. There I just put extra glue behind it, and as they are squeezed when the door closes, it sits good. Besides that I didn't get any "excess" material, and the corner lined up perfectly.

Regarding window adjustment I'm probably the wrong guy to ask Laughing Spent like 1 1/2 hrs fiddling around with adjustments, which there are quite many of. There must be a procedure for how to do this, but I didn't have any.

For a start you of course have to remove the door panel. Then the spots marked in red in the picture will adjust the window motion... in every thinkable and unthinkable direction Wink
Weatherstripping Window_adjustment

I believe that any new gasket will require more force to shut the door until it settles in its grove. Regarding opening and closing the window, mine was still pretty hard to close with the hand crank one month after I had installed the new weatherstrip. So I just opened the door to close it completely. Now the car has been sitting for like 4 months, so I guess it's settled even more. Maybe that vaseline trick helps as well, didn't think of that.

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:23 pm

I believe that any new gasket will require more force to shut the door until it settles in its grove. Regarding opening and closing the window, mine was still pretty hard to close with the hand crank one month after I had installed the new weatherstrip. So I just opened the door to close it completely. Now the car has been sitting for like 4 months, so I guess it's settled even more. Maybe that vaseline trick helps as well, didn't think of that.
[/quote]

Again, the fact that new aftermarket weatherstripping needs to be "conditioned" in order for everything to fit is simply a sign of piss poor design/quality IMO. You know the stuff that originally came on our cars didn't have to be "conditioned".
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:09 pm

Fishgrinder wrote:
Landonus wrote:How do you go about adjusting the glass?

Regarding window adjustment I'm probably the wrong guy to ask Laughing Spent like 1 1/2 hrs fiddling around with adjustments, which there are quite many of. There must be a procedure for how to do this, but I didn't have any.

For a start you of course have to remove the door panel. Then the spots marked in red in the picture will adjust the window motion... in every thinkable and unthinkable direction Wink
Weatherstripping Window_adjustment

If that isn't enough, there are more adjustments in the middle of the door to adjust the tracks, which can also affect window alignment.

The good news: The alignment procedure is actually detailed in the Fisher Body manual for your year, which are readily available on eBay or from Helm.

The bad news: The procedure involves a fair number of pre-measured, pre-shaped blocks to check fitment at various points. They have GM tool numbers, but I have never seen them in the wild. I suppose you could conceivably recreate them from the pictures...

thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Permissions in this forum: