G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wallys 73 Malibu project

+16
alowerlevel
pila
driveit
77mali
dynchel
chevellelaguna
switchbiker
ratnfested
Mcarlo77
thatfnthing
BK-75
73chevy350
Hawk03
ant7377
JB2wheeler
jrb75
20 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Wallys 73 Malibu project - Page 2 Empty Re: Wallys 73 Malibu project

Post by 77mali Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:58 pm

Bummer on the Belair & the Guna...that's gotta suck selling such a nice car but like you said- someone else will enjoy them. Keep us posted on that 73, it's one of the nicest ones one here!

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:56 pm

77mali wrote:Bummer on the Belair & the Guna...that's gotta suck selling such a nice car but like you said- someone else will enjoy them.  Keep us posted on that 73, it's one of the nicest ones one here!

The 74 laguna was the main inspiration for the upgrades to my 73. After seeing how nice that set up is I just had to fallow through on it. I asked my wife what one she liked better and she said the 73 so that's the one I'm keeping. If I sell the Laguna someone can finish it off so that it is there car not my visions for it. So I'll button up a few things and let someone else take it all the way to finished.

Thanks for the comment on the 73. Ever since I got it driving and painted I stopped driving the 56. The more I drive the car the more that's all I want to drive. Now if it could pull my 32' camper I would be tickled pink.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Well I know it’s been a while and if anything can wrong for some one that would be me. I got the whole engine and trany installed drive shaft shortened and all accessories hooked up just in time for car craft summer nationals in St Paul MN 2014. We limped the car in as I could not go over half throttle without it going into limp mode. The trany and engine are not communicating as they should or trany is sliping, But we made it in all weekend.
[url=Wallys 73 Malibu project - Page 2 Img_7120

From there I took the car to a very reputable tuner in my area for a hub Dyno tune to be done as that’s what the guy I got the set up from said its needs a tune adjustment. He had the car for a whole month and I would bug him every three days. He said he got it running better and to come pick it up. When I got there he said he had an accident test driving it and a rock hit the windshield. It was shattered nit just a chip. It was below the hood line just above wipers so I think he shut the hood on some thing.

[url=Wallys 73 Malibu project - Page 2 Windsh11

I took the car in to get the windshield replaced last Friday and barely made it home. The trany is slipping on every up shift even at low throttle and at wide open throttle it gets up ready to shift then stalls unless you lift off throttle like a stick shift would be then it shifts. The tuner guy did a line pressure test and it was good it has all 4 forward gears and reverse plus converter locks up. I called the engine guy I got it from and told him my situation and that I did as he said and got a tune done. He said to call his trany guy so I did. The trany guy blames the engine guy and said I would have to replace every sensor, ECM and wire harness and then he said or it just maybe in the trany. They both have now said I’m just the 1 in 100 the crap happens to and sorry I can’t help you. So much for that warranty, I have 120 miles on the set up all summer.

I got so frustrated and depressed over the whole thing that I said no more time or money is going to be spent trying to figure out what this guy did or did not do write. So last Saturday I went straight to GM and picked up a LS3 Connect and cruse 430 HP with a 4L65E trany with a 24 month 50K mile warranty. I plan to swap out the set up this Sunday.
[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/392]Wallys 73 Malibu project - Page 2 Ls3_110
[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/393]Wallys 73 Malibu project - Page 2 Ls3_1_10
[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/394]Wallys 73 Malibu project - Page 2 Ls3_1_11
[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/395]Wallys 73 Malibu project - Page 2 Ls3_1_12
[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/396]Wallys 73 Malibu project - Page 2 Ls3_1_13
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:20 pm

Ta Da.... Looks amazing. Can't wait to see it in the car. I am so sorry to hear about all of the trouble you have had. I hope things go smoother for you from here. Keep us posted!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:30 pm

So I take it there will be a motor for sale shortly ? And did you ever sell the 74 ??
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Wallyuph wrote:When I got there he said he had an accident test driving it and a rock hit the windshield. It was shattered nit just a chip. It was below the hood line just above wipers so I think he shut the hood on some thing.

I agree. It would have to a pretty acrobatic rock to manage to sneak in under the back of the hood to hit the base of the windshield. Since he's willing to lie about this, I'd bet he's willing to lie about the tune -- I'd find someone else if the next one needs any tuning. Hope you have better luck this time around!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:45 pm

Wally, that f'n sucks. If it were me I'd be- Here's your engine back- I need a refund & Here's your transmission back- I need a refund. WTH? "Sorry I can't help you", really?

Do you know any good lawyers? That's got lawsuit written all over it.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:58 pm

I hope they paid for the windshield.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:59 pm

They didn't, so I was told. May have knocked some off the bill, but didn't sound like he should have had to pay anything to me.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Limey wrote:So I take it there will be a motor for sale shortly ? And did you ever sell the 74 ??

Yes the 6.0 with trany and will be for sale. its a ls lsx series engine complete swap package a 435 HP 6.0 iron block with a new stock rotating assembly fully balanced all new or reconditioned parts not forged comes complete run tested, power steering pump, water pump and alternator complete as shown new 799 heads, cleaned resealed and vacuum tested, new satin intake and throttle body, this comes with a new rebuilt 4l60e automatic trans and converter best of all comes with a new show quality plug and play harness and a new performance tuned ecu, also includes o2 sensors and mas air, Engine runs fine but I think it needs a trany rebuild.

I still have the the 74 Laguna/trans-am/grand Am or what ever you want to call it as its 5 cars in one. And its for sale just not advertized yet. I don't have the seats done yet. I do have new foam for a pair of Grand Am buckets and a plaid back seat to do in Black. But it runs and drives great.
Here is what it is. Has 95 Impala suspension. 308 rear end posi. A 5.3 engine and a 4L60E trany 4 wheel disc breaks. Paint is cracking as its lacquer paint.
https://s1247.photobucket.com/user/Wallyuph/library/1974%20Laguna%20for%20sale?sort=2&page=1
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:53 pm

I would be all over this like stink on S HIT with these guys esp after all that time and money, sounds like they talked to and know each other ...... Get a Lawyer and it will for the new drivetrain at least
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:31 am

Limey wrote:I would be all over this like stink on S HIT with these guys esp after all that time and money,  sounds like they talked to and know each other ...... Get a Lawyer and it will for the new drivetrain at least

They know each other for sure. Its just sad that people don't treat customers or other people the way they want to be treated.

My tuner guy got the engine running fine he said its in the trany for sure. He even felt the new torque converter that came with the set up was bad as he said its not putting out the right numbers to the rear wheels as it should for the set up. He told me I had planed it out well and could find nothing wrong with my set up other than I need to install 2 & 1/2" exhaust as I'm using the 2" that was on the car. I told him I wanted to get it running first then drive it to exhaust place. I just welded in lead pipes with a bung for O2 sensors so I could drive it or at least try to.

Now it may just be a bad trany or it could be some thing else but only being able to drive 120 miles all summer for me was a very BAD year for me. I only have a pair of monty buckets temp bolted in the 74 Laguna so did not drive it much.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:04 pm

I can atest to anyone interested that the laguna will haul... It has definitely got some power. If I could have pulled it back to ky with me I would have!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:40 pm

I would love to have that 74 Wally how long can you hold off on listing it Wally and how much ?
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:37 pm

I don't think there would be any way you could be disappointed with that car Limey. I'd driveit...
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:21 pm

Limey wrote:I would love to have that 74 Wally how long can you hold off on listing it Wally and how much ?

At the rate things are going for me it will be next spring and I plan to have the seats dome carpet installed and maybe a console so the power window switches will be in the console.

Believe it or not I have 10K into it. As it sits now.

I had it sold to a buddy of mine this spring then he backed out. As it is sitting right now I told him 7000.00. I gave him a ride two weeks ago and he about whoa nelly his pants as we were sideways going down the road after fish tailing coming off the corner. I told him its still for sale. Ha

If he could swing it he would but I know where he is with finances so it wont be going to him. No rust at all on this baby. A guy could fly in and drive it home.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:27 pm

I know been staring at the Photobucket link he gave, but at 7000 that took it out of my range that's too bad I was seriously thinking about it
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:52 am

I was rooting for you limey!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:59 am

Well its in the hole an mounted just waiting on some trany line AN fittings and then pluming every thing. [url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/397]Wallys 73 Malibu project - Page 2 Ls3_in10

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/398]Wallys 73 Malibu project - Page 2 Ls3_in11

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/399]Wallys 73 Malibu project - Page 2 Ls3_in12
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:56 am

Your still getting crazy with all that tape. Isn't it hard to get all of that residue off. Maybe I am using the wrong kind of tape, but everytime I remove tape from mine it still feels sticky. Anyway. Looks awesome in there. Make sure to take a video once you get it lined out!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:01 pm

There is 3MM blue painters tape down first then the 3MM Green tape over the 3MM Blue as its does not stick well when your up against it. Then not much residue from tape. If any I just use detail spray or in case of some heavy area a little adhesive remover on a rag wipe right off and its good for soap and water. With that candy paint you can not have enough tape on it.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:14 pm

I am sure. It was a beautiful paint job!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Well the New LS3 is in and running. I have 58 miles on it. I just cam from exhaust place and have a Apt for next week to get 2&1/2" mandrel bent duals put on. Runs awesome.
[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/402]Wallys 73 Malibu project - Page 2 Img_3410

I have a few little things like oil pressure gauge sending unit wont fit between fire wall and intake so I ordered a billet piece to install it above oil filter. Tach is not working so I ordered a painless Tachometer Adapter like I had to do on my laguna. Then I should be done.

The bad part is summer is fading way to fast and it will have to go to storage way to soon for this guy.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:09 pm

Mine that looks sweet. Even sweeter than your BBQ I bet. lol. We need a video of this thing terrorizing your neighbors please!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Congrats. Looks awesome.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member