G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painting Interior Plastic

+10
Mcarlo77
77mali
dynchel
tmd171
texan01
orange Juiced
Tom77
pila
lagunainnewark
ant7377
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Painting Interior Plastic - Page 2 Empty Re: Painting Interior Plastic

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:54 pm

I'm just gonna get new carpet, it's the weird cloth inserts in the middle of the seats I'm working on. It's almost like a burlap-ish material. I'll post a pic.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:15 pm

Painting Interior Plastic - Page 2 20141231_115647
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:18 pm

Here's the interior with the darker "buckskin" dash and the "Light Buckskin" seats,panels etc.

Painting Interior Plastic - Page 2 <a href=Painting Interior Plastic - Page 2 20140322_1222211" />
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:22 pm

I tried the Plasticote Buckskin...not even close.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:01 am

Hi Roadcaptain S3. I'm in the same boat. I spent the better part of last year looking for a paint that would be the right colour and found nothing! I mean NOTHING that was the same. I finally decided that SEM was the best product and got what was close Santa Fe 15123, it's the colour from '75. In my case it will match the colour of the vinyl from the buckets and bench I have from a '75 Malibu.

Thanks for the picture of the front bench. It's very nice looking, not to mention I was going to paint my belt buckles, but yours are chrome. Looks better that way.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:40 am

I've got SEM buckskin on the way. I'm if that doesn't work, I'm going to try VHT buckskin and/or SEM Palomino and i"ll give your suggestion a try as well. Thanks.

I've been looking at various threads from C3 vette forums and mid seventies Chevy trucks. It's wild how many variations of tan and brown that GM used in interiors those years. It's hard to tell the difference between Doeskin, Buckskin, Lt. Buckskin, Sand and Saddle from one year to the next. All very similar. I've decided to just get several different dyes and try them out side by side until I can figure out which is closest. Fortunately, most of the ones I'm trying are $10 a can or less. I'm sticking with Duplicolor, VHT and SEM because I've used them all before and had good results.

Once I figure that out, my plan is to do the seat inserts, console and carpet in the same shade. I've never dyed cloth or carpet before so it should be fun to try.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:51 am

If you are doing a hole interior go to your paint supplier and ask them to mix up the SEM color you want in a Qt can then you can use a regular paint sprayer gun to shoot it all one time. This is what I did with mine but I had them mix me a color to match my leather. I also sprayed clear over them with a flattening agent in it for right sheen to it. I would just go with the SEM paint rattle cans if you are just doing a few pieces but a whole color change this is the way to go. You don't have to do the clear coat I just wanted to try it. Painting Interior Plastic - Page 2 <a href=Painting Interior Plastic - Page 2 Img_3910" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:04 am

Thanks Wally, I'll try that route.

I'll likely have to take the columns somewhere and have the new one painted to match the one coming out, so maybe the body shop can recommend someone locally that mixes that kind of paint. I can't find anybody within forty miles that will.

Forecast is for single digit temps this week, so I won't be doing any actual painting for a while yet. I still have to strip the interior and weld some brackets too.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:05 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:Thanks Wally, I'll try that route.

I'll likely have to take the columns somewhere and have the new one painted to match the one coming out, so maybe the body shop can recommend someone locally that mixes that kind of paint. I can't find anybody within forty miles that will.

Forecast is for single digit temps this week, so I won't be doing any actual painting for a while yet. I still have to strip the interior and weld some brackets too.

Your welcome.
Its -4 below here right now. Looking a deep freeze this week.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:11 pm

If you get a can of SEM that is a good match they sell it by the QT at summit racing.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-15014?seid=srese1&gclid=CI-7o6jc-sICFRSAaQodnicAZw

If you cant find a local paint supply to mix it up for you. Mine is interior plastic paint they mixed but was to flat like base coat for auto paint so they put too much flattening agent in it.  so I mixed up some clear with my own flatner in and sprayed over. Much like a base coat clear coat paint job.

Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Painting Interior Plastic - Page 2 Empty identifying the plastic interior parts

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:09 pm

Yes I have those Fisher Body Manual Blues. They cutely identify the three types of interior plastic: ABS , polypropylene and vinyl. Then they promptly throw a curveball saying BTW some of the vinyl is really ABS plastic with PVC or vinyl mixed in. Sigh.

Is there some listing somewhere of which A body interior pieces are exactly what kind of plastic? Thanks for any info.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2