G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu

+9
JB2wheeler
77mali
ratnfested
dynchel
ant7377
1973montec
Limey SE
1973 454 MONTE
Pontichev327
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 Empty Re: '77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu

Post by DiscoMalibu Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:13 am

Make sure you protect that investment w/ some rust-proof coating

Come on now! Absolutely, a couple of coats of POR-15 inside and out, i'll top coat the inside with semi-gloss black. The underside will be top coated with undercoating. I left about a half-inch lip all around when I cut the pans out (room for error), i'm going to tack it all around underneath and then seam seal it.

The pans overlapped in the middle, i'm going to weld a solid bead on the bottom along the seam to really add some strength. I have both sides welded in solid and I started welding the front floor brace back in last night.
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 Empty Re: '77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu

Post by 1973montec Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:36 am

lookin good
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:35 pm

1973montec wrote:lookin good

X2
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:00 am

Thanks. Smile I got the floor braces welded back in and the seats line up. I might as well pick up some carpet while I'm at this stage. The problem is I cant find carpets specifically for a 4spd car. Anyone have any ideas or am I just going to have to patch some in around the shift hump?
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:06 am

you can get the standard carpet for our cars and before you tack it down press down on the hump and get your outline, but if you wanna be sure order a carpet from an 71 -77 Impala that should have more than enough if you need to pull it up for the hump cut.
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:49 am

I've been quite busy! I picked up the motor last weekend, gave it a repaint, removed a broken bolt where the bellhousing bolts on. I finished up the floor, seam sealed it and painted it all. At 2am Saturday I was tightening the motor mount bolts, thats right, the motor is in! Smile I installed the clutch with a new throwout bearing and its all ready to go.

'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 IMAG0289_zps5265e9ee
'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 IMAG0291_zps17d5f6cd
'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 IMAG0298_zps2d648bd6
'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 IMAG0309_zps22eb3255
'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 IMAG0306_zps578ce0e8
'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 IMAG0310_zps8ce57bd8
'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 IMAG0318_zpsfd2a0626
'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 IMAG0323_zpsd63587fd
'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 IMAG0325_zps48ccace1

Plus the headers came in yesterday so I have them all set up and installed new plugs. The new starter is in too. Just need the cash to get the carpet, the shift hump, exhaust system and the 4spd parts. I think the worst is over though and I'll be banging gears all summer.

GoFast
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Wed May 08, 2013 2:10 am

Should be getting ready to start it soon. Most everything is hooked up, I just repaired the core support and installed the radiator. I even filled it with coolant and pressure tested it. I had to cut two power steering pressure hoses up to make one, one end was a flare, the pump end took an o-ring fitting.

I just sold my '64 Mercury Monterey Marauder for $3000 ( Sad ) so soon I should have the remaining parts that I need. A buddy gave me a pair of Flowmaster Super 40's for free. I picked up an instrument cover panel at the swap meet as well as a chrome radiator top mout. I just threw the front fenders on for now, first time I've seen it with fenders since May 2010. Smile

I'll get some more pics up as I take 'em.
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Wed May 15, 2013 12:03 am

Happy to report that this thing is alive! cheers Unfortunately I have an ignition switch issuse: https://www.g3gm.com/t7235-ignition-switch#64177

I'd appreciate any help so I know what I'm looking for when I get it apart. I gotta finish up a couple of things... put the left valve cover on, adjust the fan shroud, it hits the fan. Tighten up some things. Still have to get the 4spd parts and the exhaust. Can't wait to pull it out into the daylight. Should be buying the remaining parts this week or next week. I still have some parts to paint too, so much to do yet!!
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:47 am

Well folks, an update is far overdue. I haven't had a whole lot of time. Work has been crazy and my shop has been really busy until now. I'm taking this break to finish the Disco Malibu. All parts have been ordered and they should be here next week. Surprisingly, the Summit exhaust system (#680131) has already arrived 36hrs after I ordered it. The drivers side fit great with the original single hump transmission crossmember. The passenger side, well, not so much. A few alterations were in place.

'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 IMAG0353_zps30ae7599

I ended up using an old Freightliner bumper mounting bracket from work and cut it down. Here are the results, only the one side is welded on.
'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 IMAG0364_zps511245d0
'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 IMAG0367_zps83bf629a

I took an entire 10 days off of work to get this done. By next month this thing should nearly be ready to hit the pavement. Cant wait!
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:03 am

looking good
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:26 pm

'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 IMAG0389_zpsf17e48d9

Welp, it's on the road. Exhaust is done, carpet is done all of the four speed parts are installed and working properly! I got all of the Rallies sandblasted and I painted them. Just a few odds and ends left to finish up for now.
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:28 pm

NICE! Congrats.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:47 pm

NICE!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:52 am

Thanks guys! I have to get some shots with the wheels. Painted 'em with cast coat aluminum and clear coated them. 215/70's up front and those 285/70s out back. 3" stainless steel tips - sounds amazing with the Summit 2 1/2 inch system and the Super 40's.

I bought a four speed "molded" carpet from Trim Parts on Ebay. Molded my rear end! Worst quality carpet i've ever seen and it looks terrible. I was unable to get the wrinkles out of it over the trans tunnel and in the rear foot well area. Ugh. No returns and there's $140 down the toilet. You live and you learn I guess.

The speedo is way off. Anyone know if I can change the speedometer gear in the Saginaw trans? I'm it has to do with those 285 meats on the back. Shocked

I have to fool with the carb a bit too. The secondaries don't respond right away, hence the "Quadrabog".
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:21 am

Disco- try "Stock Interiors" for your carpet. If it's that crappy- toss it.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:49 am

I like it.  It looks really tough.Twisted Evil and a 4 speed too...Thumbs up 
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:04 am

Mali- Yeah, unfortunately I looked them up after I was disappointed with what I got. I like the "mass-backing" idea and it looks pretty high quality. I'm going to run it for a while and get a little money out of it. I've owned the car since '07 and this is the first time it has had carpet it in it. Its still a change for the better I suppose.

dynchel - I don't believe that the four speed was an option in 76-77. So I had to build one! It went from a terrible 305 2bbl with a worn out slipping TH350 to a 350 4bbl with a firm shifting Saginaw.
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:38 am

The carpet I bought for my 73 Monte from OPGI sucked too. Exactly the same problem ,I got the back to fit but the tranny hump fit terrible no matter what I did. It was molded too high. Also you might know your Quadrabog problem is probly the secondary air door is too loose ,Look up Qjet airdoor adjustment,its simple to fix.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:43 am

Just for the record my '74 still has the original carpet (its pretty ratty) and it really doesn't fit very well either. Its bunched up on the trans tunnel and wrinkled in the rear floor pan.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by ratnfested Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:24 pm

I am gonna have to do my floors on my other Malibu when I do that car in about 3 years. Its nice to see they fit good.
ratnfested
ratnfested
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:01 pm

I grabbed my full set of pans from Motor City Hi-Performance. I was really concerned over the quality but when I got them I realized they were pretty heavy. They fit fairly well, mind you I didn't butt weld them in, I left a 1/2" lip all the way around. I welded it solid on top, tacked the underside and then seam sealed. Not perfect but much better than what I had to begin with. Pulling the floor braces was probably the worst and then getting everything to line up again 100%.

I had only originally planned on doing the fronts but when I pulled the remaining carpet up it was much worse.
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:52 pm

The rear is always worse than the front in our neck of the woods. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:45 am

Yep. I was really surprised that the trunk was in such good shape. I mean I did run it for two years in the salt as I couldn't afford another car at the time. With the giant holes in the wheel wells and the quarter as well as the rear window leak, it's surprising there is anything left. I still have to do some work under the windshield trim, ugh.

Eventually i'm going to get to the quarters. I'm still a little apprehensive to put the cutting wheel to the body on the Disco Malibu. It's gotta get done somehow!
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ratnfested Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:53 am

Mine are beat up from a driveshaft launching at the track years ago. There is rot too but I could have patched that. But now the floor is all wrinkled. It was so bad the seats both pointed out the windows after the driveshaft broke. I could not close the windows. It was ugly!
ratnfested
ratnfested
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:15 am

'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 DSCF0036_zps112f939c

'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 DSCF0043_zps0d26b00f

'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 DSCF0049_zps289bab63

'77 Chevelle Malibu Classic - Disco Malibu - Page 2 DSCF0040_zpsa2cc996c

Well, i've been really busy. That's always the story, right? I obtained another Quadrajet, polished and rebuilt it. The result was a much improved idle although I still have to adjust the secondaries. It takes a moment for them to respond to a good pedal mashing. It used to spit and pop at idle and it would only run decent with the timing pretty far advanced. Mind you I had rebuilt and polished up the original carb around '08-'09 and it wasn't up and running until about August of this year. At the time I lacked the necessary knowledge and tools to do the job correctly.

I have yet to dissect the first Quadrajet to find out exactly why I had so many issues with it but I digress. I still have to button up some other details i.e. welding the exhaust up and hooking up the temp gauge. My other annoying problem is the rear tires. They're huge! 285/70/15's. My speedo doesn't work correctly and it seems to have geared it out to the point where it would take miles and miles to reach terminal velocity. I hate to swap them back out for the bologna skins because they just look so right and fit the attitude and stance that I had only hoped to achieve.

I believe I have a 3.08 rear which is the same rear that the '80 El Camino had when I pulled the factory four speed out of it. Of course, that ran bologna skin 215/75/15's on it at the time. This is where I get confused. Could I run a 3.42 or 3.73 rear with these tires and achieve the same performance as I would with the original size tires? I'm sure there's a thread on rear end ratio and tire size somewhere...

Anyhow, I still need to replace the quarters and do the body work, and fix the dash, and carpet the package tray, and replace the speakers, and reupholster the seats, and adjust the front end, and... and... Yeah, yeah. I have been driving the ever-living "S" out of this thing like the old days. Unfortunately other work has been keeping from such progress. The Civic i'm doing up for my girlfriend. I have decided to build a '50 GMC ratrod to commend the legacy that lasted for over 50 years. Nack Brothers Garage. My great grandfather started a local shop in 1930 and it lasted into the 1980's. They were a GMC dealer, automotive, small engine and boat repair shop. Hey, gotta keep up with tradition right?

Anyway, that's my rant for now. Anyone with some good info or reference on gear ratios and how to fix my issue, please get back to me! I'm open to suggestions.
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next