New 75 Monte Project

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by 77mali on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:24 pm

It's not hard at all- just have a helper for the hood. You may have some shims on various attachment points along the way so be careful to look for them and put them back in the correct spots. There are alot of bolts that attach to the wheel well/ inner fender & a few more up front (which I don't have pics of, sorry.) Leave the hood hinges attached to the hood, it will make it easier to line up later.

Here's some pics- Maybe the fender here will give you some idea of where the bolts are. You may be able to support the door in it's closed position if the door hinges are in the correct location and it's just the pins (heard this from another member here) but not 100% sure for Monte Carlo.



avatar
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by JiMi_DRiX on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:11 pm

That does get me started! Thanks for the info and pictures. It doesnt seem too difficult, but I just wanted to make sure that there werent any tricks or odd things to expect. So I should just remove the whole hood? I cant leave it on and just unbolt one side? lol.

Well I got some work done today! I got under the car and put the tank back in. It was real easy with it empty to push it up in there with one hand and bolt it in with the other. I dont do too bad for only being a little guy, lol. The tank got a new sender and new lines. After finishing up under the car, I reconnected the fuel line under the hood to the pump. A little gas in the carb, a little crankin', and she fired up and stayed running! I guess the fuel pump finally decided to prime, but I still need to get that old thing off there as a precaution.

I got to drive her, well, sort of. I put her in reverse and back her out through the yard so I could do a little cleaning up. I still need to do a few more things before I decide to put her on the road. The door pins, tires, and a master cylinder looks to be the minimum, but I also want to do some preventative maintenance like the fuel pump, change the oil once more, finish replacing some vac lines, things like that. I also fought with the window and got it up the rest of the way. The crank part is broke, it spins but it doesnt engage the rest to make it move.

Where do you guys get your door pins/bushings? I have a set from MonteMania Phil that are for the black 73, but I might just use those and plan on getting more from Phil later. Anyway, heres a few pics to update since everyone likes photos.





This is the only circumstance in which a gauge reading empty makes me happy!


She dont look too bad in this shot, and I havent even cleaned her up yet! Smile


avatar
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by 1973 454 MONTE on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:24 pm

After you take the hood off. The whole front clip can come off in one piece. Its really easier. 14 bolts
avatar
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 35

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by 77mali on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:57 pm

Looks great Jimi. The door pins are available from the parts place, opgi and many other retailers- maybe even your local Chevy dealer.
avatar
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by ant7377 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:13 pm

Cant believe how clean that is under there.!
avatar
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by 1973montec on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:27 pm

Lookin good
avatar
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by JiMi_DRiX on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:40 pm

1973 454 MONTE wrote:After you take the hood off. The whole front clip can come off in one piece. Its really easier. 14 bolts

Yeaaaaahh, it might be, but... I dont think I'm going to go that far, I just need one fender! lol.

ant7377 wrote:Cant believe how clean that is under there.!

Its amazing, but while the car might be clean from rust, plastic and rubber parts get completely wrecked out here. The weather strippings dry out so hard, that water will leak into the front doors by the hinges/window crank, and will rust the floors, ask me how I know that one, haha. I had the floors in the 76 fixed, they were easy, but the front passenger side on the 75 is kind of bad. I havent gotten to pull the carpet out yet, but I may need a new pan.
avatar
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by 77mali on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:12 am

The pan parts are cheap enough....for what you paid you're still waaaay ahead of the game lol!
avatar
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by JiMi_DRiX on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:01 am

77mali wrote:The pan parts are cheap enough....for what you paid you're still waaaay ahead of the game lol!

Yeah, I know! But I want to keep this car cheap, for now anyway. Get it up to par, road worthy, and a decent drive, until I can do some further restoration. I have my dads black 73 that I really want painted, but it needs work to even be ready for paint, as well as some under hood things I want to finish. The 76 Monte is getting some bling under the hood, also needs a lifter adjusted, as well as some new suspension parts, and I want to redo the exhaust (and goooodbye cats!). I also have an 04 Cobra that I mostly daily drive, and while it doesnt need anything, I'd love to get a supercharger pulley and a tune and get that baby well over 400hp Smile
avatar
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by JiMi_DRiX on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:35 am

Anyone notice that there isn't a passenger side mirror? I guess back then you didn't need to check when changing lanes? Lol
avatar
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by DiscoMalibu on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 am

Hey JiMi- looking good there. Once again i'm jealous cause that thing is cherry! Around here we might as well just park our cars on top of a salt pile and get it over with haha.

Just curious, how much did that sending unit cost?
avatar
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by JiMi_DRiX on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:31 pm

DiscoMalibu wrote:Hey JiMi- looking good there. Once again i'm jealous cause that thing is cherry! Around here we might as well just park our cars on top of a salt pile and get it over with haha.

Just curious, how much did that sending unit cost?


Its definitely worth the restoration! A lot of cars out here are butchered from multiple owners.. The sending unit was $66 after shipping. I believe if you read back a page or two in this thread, someone found it a few bucks cheaper. Spectra makes it.
avatar
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by JiMi_DRiX on Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:14 am

It'll shine! I have a lot of rubbin' and polishing to do soon!



Anyone know why it'd sit like this without air shocks? Are there "taller" shocks, or springs?

avatar
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by 77mali on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:46 am

Is the front sitting too low?

avatar
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by 77ElClassic on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:44 am

JiMi_DRiX wrote:

Anyone know why it'd sit like this without air shocks? Are there "taller" shocks, or springs?


A popular item for these cars in the late 70s and early 80s was what they called "load-leveler" springs. Sears, U-Haul, and other places pushed them pretty hard on customers who pulled trailers. Usually you can spot them because the upper coils are close together and the lower coils will have up to 2 or more inches of space.They became a popular items for guys who wanted the California rake w/o using air shocks.
Another popular item was the raised spring perches. U-Haul put a pair of those on the back of my grandfather's 73 Guna wagon when he rented a trailer and roof box. Basically just a 3" cylinder between the spring and rear axle. Collapsed his spring in less than 500 miles.
avatar
77ElClassic
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by JiMi_DRiX on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:51 am

Well maybe it has the bigger springs, I didn't see any spacers. The front seems fine, maybe slightly lower from age, but the rear end is definitely too high. The previous owner told me there was something changed for pulling a small trailer.
avatar
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by ant7377 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:18 pm

Get a set of rear springs from a 96 Caprice,it will level out nice.
avatar
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by JiMi_DRiX on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Ya? What's the difference with the Caprice springs? This has me pondering different options when I get to doing the 76 suspension.
avatar
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by ant7377 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:39 pm

You might find a set used in the JY rather than having to go to the parts store for them and they are pretty much the same as the stock ones,maybe just a little more height. Look for an lt1 car (ex cop car maybe) the springs are a bit stiffer but not much more height.
avatar
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by JiMi_DRiX on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:59 am

ant7377 wrote:You might find a set used in the JY rather than having to go to the parts store for them and they are pretty much the same as the stock ones,maybe just a little more height. Look for an lt1 car (ex cop car maybe) the springs are a bit stiffer but not much more height.

I might, a lot of the yards around here got rid of the "old" cars, its a shame. I know plenty of places to get new, stock springs. They are $99 most places. I definitely dont want anymore height than stock. I was thinking that I will get new springs for the 76 since that is coming up real soon on the list, and put the old ones in this 75.
avatar
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: New75 Monte Project (retitled)

Post by Mcarlo77 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Finally had a chance to drop the tank on the '75 Laguna project and, lo and behold, there it was...the Build Sheet! Well...most of it, anyway. Carefully removed it and it's now in a clear protective jacket.



Tank came out very easily. Only had about 3 gals in it, so not much weight to contend with. Just backed the arse-end up on ramps and that gave me plenty of room underneath to lower the straps and slide it out. Like JiMi discovered on his, this tank was super clean inside and out! Gotta love these AZ cars! Anyway, I'm going to clean up what little surface rust and dirt there is on the bottom of the trunk pan and shoot some paint to freshen things up before reinstalling the tank...complete with new sending unit. Did discover a leaky fuel hose, so was glad I did this.
avatar
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 66

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by ant7377 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:34 pm

That fuel hose leak will make the car run like crap. Good you found it.
avatar
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by JiMi_DRiX on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:11 am

One of the two hoses coming off the tank on this 75 has a big worn spot on it, all the way through one side of the hose. I have no idea what would cause that, maybe just old age. Your build sheet is in better shape than mine!
avatar
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by orange Juiced on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:41 am

JiMi_DRiX wrote:
ant7377 wrote:You might find a set used in the JY rather than having to go to the parts store for them and they are pretty much the same as the stock ones,maybe just a little more height. Look for an lt1 car (ex cop car maybe) the springs are a bit stiffer but not much more height.

I might, a lot of the yards around here got rid of the "old" cars, its a shame. I know plenty of places to get new, stock springs. They are $99 most places. I definitely dont want anymore height than stock. I was thinking that I will get new springs for the 76 since that is coming up real soon on the list, and put the old ones in this 75.

Jimi, the only yard that i know of that still has several rows of G3s is ACS 4353 E Illinois Street. they all have been picked thru, but some still have some trim and other odds and ends. every once and a while he gets new cars, but u need to act fast. seen a very clean grandma 76 wagon, should have taken the hood when i was there. went back a couple of months later, the car was torn up. hood was damaged, broke the whole dash just take the steering column, windsheild damaged, just torn up.

Last time i was there, the rows on the right had the majority of them, the left had a handful of them. mostly all doubled stacked. Prices very, sometimes he's reasonable and sometimes he thinks he has gold.



avatar
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by JiMi_DRiX on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:35 am

orange Juiced wrote:
JiMi_DRiX wrote:
ant7377 wrote:You might find a set used in the JY rather than having to go to the parts store for them and they are pretty much the same as the stock ones,maybe just a little more height. Look for an lt1 car (ex cop car maybe) the springs are a bit stiffer but not much more height.

I might, a lot of the yards around here got rid of the "old" cars, its a shame. I know plenty of places to get new, stock springs. They are $99 most places. I definitely dont want anymore height than stock. I was thinking that I will get new springs for the 76 since that is coming up real soon on the list, and put the old ones in this 75.

Jimi, the only yard that i know of that still has several rows of G3s is ACS 4353 E Illinois Street. they all have been picked thru, but some still have some trim and other odds and ends. every once and a while he gets new cars, but u need to act fast. seen a very clean grandma 76 wagon, should have taken the hood when i was there. went back a couple of months later, the car was torn up. hood was damaged, broke the whole dash just take the steering column, windsheild damaged, just torn up.

Last time i was there, the rows on the right had the majority of them, the left had a handful of them. mostly all doubled stacked. Prices very, sometimes he's reasonable and sometimes he thinks he has gold.




I know exactly where you're talking about, I use to go there a lot. Sometimes that guy was pretty chill, other times he was a bit of a prick, lol. That spot on the far right, there were quite a few 2nd gen Monte Carlo's stacked up, there was probably close to 10 around that yard, and that wasnt counting any other 73-77's. That was years ago though, and I havent been back in a long time. He has a lot of older stuff though. I really need to go junk yard pickin' again soon.
avatar
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum