G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil Pan Install

3 posters

Go down

Oil Pan Install Empty Oil Pan Install

Post by 77mali Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:13 am

When I took off my old oil pan there were 2 steel "reinforcement bars". If I remember correctly, they were on the block surface on top of the old gasket that was a non reinforced type (very flexible). My question is now that I have a reinforced gasket, should I still be using the old bars? I've still seen them used with the new type of reinforced gasket that I have but installed on the exterior side of the pan instead. Maybe they were installed wrong previously?
scratch
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Oil Pan Install Empty Re: Oil Pan Install

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:15 am

only bars ive seen is speader bars just under bolts on top if pan its self those ya can other wise i didnt on my felpro one pcgasket
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:04 pm

Later 350 Chevy engines used them on the bottom side of the pan rail. My '93 Fleetwood Caddy had a Chevy engine with those reinforcement bars. They must help some, or GM wouldn't have spent an extra dime to put them on. My '93 Buick has them also.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:39 pm

The block I have was cast in 88 it looks like. The gasket is real floppy compared to the new one & I had to check. Thanks guys! I think the new seal is a bit thicker too where it meets the timing covers & real main seal.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down