G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing Fuel Pump on Chevy 350 Engine

5 posters

Go down

Replacing Fuel Pump on Chevy 350 Engine Empty Replacing Fuel Pump on Chevy 350 Engine

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:27 am

I had the daunting task of having to replace the fuel pump on the '75 Laguna this past weekend and thought I'd share a helpful tip that I was given for those of you still running 350 engines. This is a seemingly routine task, but the last time I took on this little project many years ago, I remember fighting with that darn push rod to keep it in the "UP" position while installing the new pump. I tried the grease on the rod trick, but it wasn't working. Also tried sticking something in there to hold it up while trying to install the new pump and that's a frustrating p.i.t.a., too!

Anyway, on the front of the block (just ahead of the fuel pump) there are two bolt holes. The upper one has a 1" lg bolt in it. It doesn't do anything except act as a plug. The bottom one is usually empty. I was told to go get a longer bolt from the hardware store and use it to temporarily replace that 1" lg bolt while holding the push rod in the "UP" position (once the old pump is removed). Only tighten it finger tight and it will pinch the push rod to hold it. I tried it and the job was a piece of cake! Of course, it's imperative that you remember to replace that longer bolt with the shorter one once the job is done so there isn't any interference with the rod moving up and down.

After replacing the pump, fuel hoses, flushing the tank and installing some fresh 91 octane non-ethanol gas, the engine just roars to life with the turn of the key...awesome! Wasn't really expecting much from the engine on this car.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Replacing Fuel Pump on Chevy 350 Engine Empty Re: Replacing Fuel Pump on Chevy 350 Engine

Post by 77mali Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:50 am

Where did you get non ethanol gas?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Replacing Fuel Pump on Chevy 350 Engine Empty Re: Replacing Fuel Pump on Chevy 350 Engine

Post by DiscoMalibu Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:07 am

Yeah wish I could get some. Theres only one place in NY that has it and thats up in Albany. My '64 Merc doesn't like that ethanol crap.
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:58 am

Stations around here are allowed to devote a pump to non-ethanol gas for people's use in classic cars, small engines, rec vehicles, etc...but, it must be 91 octane and it cannot be purchased for newer vehicles. Suppose they feel they must punish those who decide to use it by forcing them to pay a premium price. It's nice to be able to fill the tank in the Fall for the long winter storage and not worry as much about it absorbing moisture and deteriorating over time as quickly as the ethanol blend does (I still use Seafoam, though).
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:13 pm

When I lived in Mesa AZ there was a little airport. For the right price the guy at their gas station would sell me AV gas for the car. Nice HP gain only down side is three inch blue flame out the headers.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:20 pm

I did a search @ http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Being from Massachusetts we haven't had unblended gas in a long, long time.

But up the road there's an airport in NH that sells 91 supposedly. Got to check into it but yet another example of the Nanny State doing what's "best" for us Jacking
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:04 am

Most marinas have gas without the alky in it. That's where it's available around here. AV gas is 100LL, low-lead, blue color. The 87 octane, red, was discontinued some years back.
AV gas here is $6.14 a gallon, up from $5.60 two weeks ago.. Small airplanes are getting more popular now because of smaller engines & less fuel use.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down