G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is a Laguna nose actually heavier than a standard one?

+7
sick73chevelle
Brainstain
77mali
BicknellWelding
jimmyess333
Limey SE
davesr_7
11 posters

Go down

Is a Laguna nose actually heavier than a standard one? Empty Is a Laguna nose actually heavier than a standard one?

Post by jimmyess333 Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:48 am

I heard a Laguna nose actually heavier than a standard one.
Any truth to this?

jimmyess333
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Is a Laguna nose actually heavier than a standard one? Empty Re: Is a Laguna nose actually heavier than a standard one?

Post by davesr_7 Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:38 am

the slant nose is heavier it was put on the cae so nascar cars would get more down force and less drag

davesr_7
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Is a Laguna nose actually heavier than a standard one? Empty Re: Is a Laguna nose actually heavier than a standard one?

Post by Brainstain Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:48 pm

I'm no small dude, and it takes a lot for me to move my 76 nose around by myself. I know it has to weigh more than my front bumper and the headlight mounts and grille. I wish someone would just buy the stupid thing.

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Yes the laguna nose both styles out weigh the stanard nose's by 100 pounds or so
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyess333 Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:47 am

Limey SE wrote:Yes the laguna nose both styles out weigh the stanard nose's by 100 pounds or so
100 LBS? affraid WOW
I wonder if it can be gutted.
I'm really surprised the aftermarket hasn't put out a lightweight fiberglass one.
I personally like the early Laguna nose over the slant one and wouldn't mind putting a lightweight version of it on my car.
I planned on painting my bumpers anyway.

jimmyess333
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:19 pm

There is a f-glass avail in the 76 or the earlier style- but expensive.

http://www.usbody.com/pages_cars/73-chevelle.htm

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainstain Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:23 pm

There's really nothing to gut out/off of one.

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BicknellWelding Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:02 pm

I have both 73 and 74 laguna noses. I am selling the 73, I put it on my bathroom scale, standing on the center under the spot for the plate. It weighed 150 even. the 74 has a bigger reinforcment behind the bumper and IMO weighs considerably more. I've heard people say they go 300lbs but I think its an extreme exageration.

You might find some spots to do the old hole saw trick on, but probably not enough
BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Not as bad if running a small block, but with a big gob of cast iron like a big block up front, the weight on the front wheels is considerable.
The trick is to have enough power up front, to overcome whatever the front section weighs in at. Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:03 am

I bet the bumper & reinforcement weights about 110-120 (at least that's what it feels like).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainstain Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:12 pm

I weighed my 76 nose. 174.6 pounds with the shocks and the grilles weigh 6.8. So 181.4 pounds total.

Last edited by Brainstain on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sick73chevelle Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:49 pm

Moog lists the same coil spring number for a big block 73 Chevelle and a big block 73 Laguna. You would think they would make a beefier spring for the Laguna! And I helped a guy put a slant nose on his Elky a while back and that thing did feel like it was 3bills. Bout dropped a nut on that one! Surprised it only 181. Was gonna weigh my 73 nose but couldn't get it into the bathroom to the scale. (just a joke guys)
sick73chevelle
sick73chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:15 pm

Lose the Laguna nose and lose 2/10 of a second on the quarter mile.

I tried to buy some fiberglass from US Body Source 10-15 years ago and it never happened. For whatever reason, they obviously had some shipping dramas prior to my call.

So I am 2/10 of a second slower than I could be...
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by El Road Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:18 pm

I'd love to see fiberglass versions made along with a rollpan for the rear.

El Road
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 pm

There are interesting things in the Chevelle/El Camino manuals. The El Caminos didn't use that massive bumper reinforcement in the front, but the Malibu did, according to this manual. My four G3 Elcos didn't have one. I still have a Malibu front bumper with the reinforcement, and it's one heavy sucker ! I believe it's a '76, and I would give it away if some one came & got it.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:18 pm

The '75 El Camino Laguna for sale near me that I posted on another thread caused me to look into the possibility that some were actually supplied that way from the factory. There are many discussions on other forums where people swear it wasn't an option since there is no record of it from GM. Then, one guy posts a copy of his Build Sheet found on his '75 and there it was...a factory RPO code 6H1 - Frt Soft Face. Also shown at the bottom of the left hand column of codes as 6H1 Laguna Front. Interestingly, it also had a COPO Ident code YK6. It appears as though it was a one year only offering for the slant nose. Very interesting!

I didn't get a chance to check the one out locally this past weekend. Still want to get over there out of curiousity.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:40 pm

El Camino Laguna parts are common but here is what you need to build a documented one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-CORVETTE-NOVA-MONTE-BUILD-SHEET-/140550270337?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item20b972ed81&vxp=mtr

The big trick is finding a typewriter and not making any mistakes while typing it up.

Thanks -
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:28 am

I suppose it's possible to forge a Build Sheet with enough determination to replicate the yellowed, stained, wrinkled, torn and in general, old-looking paper...but, it's well-known that GM wasn't exactly thorough in keeping records of everything they built. Not sure why anyone would bother with an El Camino Laguna, though...or, any of our '73-'77 cars. It's not like it would raise the intrinsic value much beyond a marginal amount.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:02 am

Seems to me that some dealers could order configurations that were not in the book. A local guy here ordered a Chevy pickup, the "work truck" model, but ordered a Silverado interior in it, and it came through as ordered. So nothing is cut in stone as far as what may be available.

These cars & El Caminos are never going to be worth a lot of money, in this generation, which doesn't bother me any. Comparing our generation with a '70 Chevelle SS396, for instance, isn't realistic. It's like a '57 Chevy is loved by many & worth good money, but back then when they were new, I bought Olsdmobiles & Pontiacs, & Cadillacs, because I didn't like the Chevys until around '63..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down