G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lifting rear end

+7
1973 454 MONTE
ant7377
Tom77
LSANTI76
dynchel
alleyball4
JiMi_DRiX
11 posters

Go down

Lifting rear end Empty Lifting rear end

Post by mychev123 Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:53 am

Whats the easiest way to lift the rear of a 77 malibu to give it more rake? This might be a dumb question but I'm new to this so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
mychev123
mychev123
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Lifting rear end Empty Re: Lifting rear end

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:25 am

The cheapest way is probably some air shocks. I did that in my 76 Monte when I was younger, but after a while it was kind of goofy, especially since I didnt have big fat tires and wheels to fill up the wells, lol.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:36 am

About 60-70 bucks for new rear springs. Simple install. Otherwise maybe some springs from the bone yard.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:25 am

keep in mind, raising the rear end affects the handling ..

I raised mine, and have the big fat tires.

Let the experts on here, discuss that with you, because I don't know what you should and shouldn't do.

We have the rear sway bar ... but I know back in the 70's, we all threw traction bars on the back end, when we raised it in the air, whether it needed it or not ... lol
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:58 am

Get some springs from a 75 Caprice or other full size GM car pre 77. It will ride a little rough though.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:30 am

I currently have springs from a 74 olds 98. This lifted it probably 2 to 3 inches above stock. The ride in the rear is very stiff especially over speed bumps. I put them in in 1995 and its still jacked up (and still rides like crap). Just fyi in case you go that route. Laughing
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:56 am

back in 2002 i put bigger springs, still sits the same this day 10 years later.
Lifting rear end 11071210

I FOUND THE #'S THAT I USED.WHEN I DID
THE SUSPENSION ON MY
74 WITH A 350, back in 1990
I USED NAPA SPRINGS.FOR THE FRONT I USED 277-1954 AND
THE REAR 277-3189.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LSANTI76 Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:22 pm

Great information has been given here. I guess it all depends how much you are intending to raise the rear. Based on my past younger experience with my '76.. I had ran air shocks to level out the rear when boat towing. Sometimes I would use these air shocks to raise the rear to have that 70's rake hot rod look Cool when not towing. Poor ride quality & handling was noticed when raising the rear anywhere from 1-2 inches higher than factory front ride height. If you do raise the rear, I would do some coil spring research & use springs to achieve your goal. You could also use your existing springs & use those coil spring spacers that install fairly easy depending on which thickness of spacer. These spacers are the ones placed on top or bottom of your spring during install(not the ones sold that are sandwiched in the middle of spring). Spacers would be the least expensive option sold for raising your rear from 3/4" - 2 1/2". At least with springs you let the suspension have travel vs air shocks somewhat limiting suspension travel.
On a side note...just an opinion. Depending on wheels.. for the most part I like 73-77 Chevelle/Malibu/Lagunas, Pontiacs & Oldsmobils at factory height or lowered with a slight rake. 73-77 Monte Carlos have an advantage of looking excellent either way of slightly lowered, stock height or raised on all four corners as 454 MONTE seems to be.
LSANTI76
LSANTI76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:53 pm

If you watch my thread I posted https://www.g3gm.com/t6365-qucik-video you can see the stance from several angles. My chevelle springs are 73 big block, heavy duty, with a/c springs in the front. I have rear springs that are 2 inches taller than stock in the rear. The car does not have a/c, a big block or auto trans in it. The rear has no noticeable "squat" upon launch and the front comes up about 2 inches. I'm running Competition Engineering drag shocks all around. Fronts set to 80/20 bias and the rears set at 50/50 bias.

BTW, 1973 454Monte I love that stance you have!!!
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:07 pm

One thing to watch also when raising the rear is the added stress put on the front end. Make sure your in good shape up front or you could be asking for some trouble from the shifting of the weight.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:12 pm

I think the reason the car rides so bad lifted is because the shocks are fully extended and cant compress due to the added height and stiffness of the springs. THey make shock extenders and ive seen them on ebay. THat I think would help the ride.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Joe73 wrote:

BTW, 1973 454Monte I love that stance you have!!!

Thanx
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:00 pm

ant7377 wrote:I think the reason the car rides so bad lifted is because the shocks are fully extended and cant compress due to the added height and stiffness of the springs. THey make shock extenders and ive seen them on ebay. THat I think would help the ride.

I agree!! Shock extenders would definitely help. The bring the shock closer to where they are supposed to operate, in the middle of its range. Then the shock can travel in and out and do its job.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:29 pm

I'm no suspension expert...but depending on how high you want it to look in the rear- why not lower the front slightly? That way the arse end should handle like stock. Spacers should work good too as mentioned.

Edit:

Sorry...you asked for the easiest way (definitely the spacers). The front end is much harder to remove springs than the rear. I've seen the spacers referenced on ebay & maybe 1 or 2 other sites like Jegs or Summitt. Global West makes these but there are similar ones.

http://www.globalwest.net/1621.html
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by mychev123 Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Wow thanks for all the input..I think Ill go with the spacers it seems like the simplest way .
mychev123
mychev123
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigred84 Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:29 am

You could have done both raised it an inch and a half in the rear and droped in the front a half an inch to a inch to rake it with out changing the handaling much

bigred84
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down