G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DSE lowering springs - Thoughts?

+13
dynchel
1973 454 MONTE
BK-75
ant7377
LSANTI76
JiMi_DRiX
carcass
Pontichev327
oldstofty
bigredlaguna
77mali
G3NUT
Brainstain
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

DSE lowering springs - Thoughts? Empty DSE lowering springs - Thoughts?

Post by BK-75 Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:17 am

Anyone using Detroit Speed Equipment lowering springs (F-2 in/ R-1.5 drop) that can provide me with some real world feedback.

Any height measurements, front/ rear ( mid fender / quarter panel) to ground?

How stiff, and does it remain consistent front to rear?

Any side, front/ rear profile shots?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks!
BK-75
BK-75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

DSE lowering springs - Thoughts? Empty Re: DSE lowering springs - Thoughts?

Post by dynchel Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 pm

I've always cut coils when i wanted to lower ride height. Sorry i can't help with the specific. Coils you are asking about.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainstain Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 pm

I used these

http://www.opgi.com/product.asp?topcatid=28&p=1&view=1&chapterid=1&VendorCode=&grpcode=11703

In the 3" drop variety and they SLAMMED my wagon.

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:33 pm

BK-75 wrote:Anyone using Detroit Speed Equipment lowering springs (F-2 in/ R-1.5 drop) that can provide me with some real world feedback.

Any height measurements, front/ rear ( mid fender / quarter panel) to ground?

How stiff, and does it remain consistent front to rear?

Any side, front/ rear profile shots?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Dse Springs rides nice not to stiff.

DSE lowering springs - Thoughts? A20thu10
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 pm

Brainstain, how did the wagon ride before and after with 3" drop springs, firm or bone jarring ?
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:44 pm

G3NUT, yours are 2" drop, right? I wonder how much different the 1"drop, 2" drop and 3" drop would feel back to back If you could switch them out and drive them, then try the others in the same day?

Last edited by Pontichev327 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:52 pm

We tried cutting the springs when I first got my S-3, but we took out a whole coil and after it settled, it was too much. Mad Here is a picture with my stock coils with one coil cut out. and a shot with the stock coils. Take in consideration that it is sitting on a slope in the 1st pic.DSE lowering springs - Thoughts? Dana_n10DSE lowering springs - Thoughts? The_gu12
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:04 am

yeah 2 inch
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 am

I like the color combo on your laguna.
looks good with the satin boss wheels.
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BK-75 Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:13 am

G3NUT that side profile picture sold me, looks perfect! My springs are sagging pretty good right now so I won’t be gaining or losing too much in ride height.

I really want a decent spring rate for a firm but comfortable ride and it looks like DSE may fit the bill. I just recently ordered some Bilstein’s to help tame this heavy beast.

Hopefully over the next couple of months I can get the springs and shocks in so I can fine tune with some sway bars!

Pontichev327 your car looks real sharp!

And Brainstain 3" may be too much for me although the pics in your build thread look tight. I have a thing for lowered wagons, I have one myself. VW variety.

Thanks all!

Keep the posts coming!

BK-75
BK-75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 am

Thanks for the compliment, it looks way better in pics than up close! Embarassed It rode like absolute sh#t with the cut coils, co we put it back to stock ride height and added KYB shocks and a hi-po steering box. It rides really smooth and still very responsive now. That is why I wanted to know the difference in the DSE springs. Like how much RIDE QUALITY difference is there between the 1", 2"
, and 3" drop springs? And what is the difference in FEEL over stock coils? I know what they LOOK like , I wanna know how they FEEL! Exclamation
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:50 am

I know 74Malibu383 does some autocross racing, what springs are you using? the profile looks great but how does it ride on the street?
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Pontichev327 wrote:We tried cutting the springs when I first got my S-3, but we took out a whole coil and after it settled, it was too much. Mad Here is a picture with my stock coils with one coil cut out. and a shot with the stock coils. Take in consideration that it is sitting on a slope in the 1st pic.DSE lowering springs - Thoughts? Dana_n10

I kinda like that look (don't feel bad-lol) did the fronts hit the wheel wells?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:02 pm

Apologies in advance for any threadjacking, but while we're on this topic, will the same springs that fit the Chevelle/El Camino fit the Montes? Spring options appear to suck terribly when searching specifically for the Monte, so I was wondering what other models would fit. I'm looking to drop 2" in the rear and 3" up front. TIA
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:36 pm

I had a few rub problems, but the main issue I had was that it just rode like crap. It was very harsh over the bumps in the road and scraped a lot on the skid plate in driveways,also the pinion angle was wrong and it made noise.
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:21 pm

thatfnthing wrote:Apologies in advance for any threadjacking, but while we're on this topic, will the same springs that fit the Chevelle/El Camino fit the Montes? Spring options appear to suck terribly when searching specifically for the Monte, so I was wondering what other models would fit. I'm looking to drop 2" in the rear and 3" up front. TIA

I'd check the low rider forums...those dudes do some sick stuff with suspensions (& lowering) plus they love Monte's. Either that or ask 73 454 Monte...he's real good about Monte parts knowledge & could maybe tell you where to look anyway.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:40 pm

I bet it would be the same. I kinda wondering too, does the parts houses like say rockauto.com use the same part # for Monte and Chevelles? I never looked . Im thinking of lowering the one in the avatar,just a little in front but i dont know yet.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:48 am

77mali wrote:
Pontichev327 wrote:We tried cutting the springs when I first got my S-3, but we took out a whole coil and after it settled, it was too much. Mad Here is a picture with my stock coils with one coil cut out. and a shot with the stock coils. Take in consideration that it is sitting on a slope in the 1st pic.DSE lowering springs - Thoughts? Dana_n10

I kinda like that look (don't feel bad-lol) did the fronts hit the wheel wells?

You should have lowered the rear a little bit, and with the right size wheel/tire, it would look sick in my opinion! Smile
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by BK-75 Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:32 am

There are several spring options for Montes too.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Chassis-Suspension/Make/CHEVROLET/Model/MONTE-CARLO/Part-Type/Lowering-Springs/Submodel/S/Year/1975/?Ns=Rank|Asc

I'm willing to bet the parts are interchangeable on both 1973–77 Monte Carlo / Chevelle Malibu models. Would also be the same for 1973–77 BOP models.

A cut spring will get the ride height, but does nothing toward increasing spring rate on a stock spring, making the car prone toward bottoming out. With a good lowering spring, as the spring compresses the spring rate will increase maintaining ride height / preventing the suspension from bottoming out. Our stock coils were geared toward comfort with moderate spring rates.

It’s refreshing to see the performance market start to recognize our cars, nice examples seem to be popping up everyday.
BK-75
BK-75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 pm

Yeah, I looked at all those. 1" drop, or the even more vague "1 to 2 inch" drop. Can't seem to find a 3" drop for a Monte, but you can find them for Chevelles...
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:54 pm

BK-75 wrote:There are several spring options for Montes too.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Chassis-Suspension/Make/CHEVROLET/Model/MONTE-CARLO/Part-Type/Lowering-Springs/Submodel/S/Year/1975/?Ns=Rank|Asc

I'm willing to bet the parts are interchangeable on both 1973–77 Monte Carlo / Chevelle Malibu models. Would also be the same for 1973–77 BOP models.

A cut spring will get the ride height, but does nothing toward increasing spring rate on a stock spring, making the car prone toward bottoming out. With a good lowering spring, as the spring compresses the spring rate will increase maintaining ride height / preventing the suspension from bottoming out. Our stock coils were geared toward comfort with moderate spring rates.

It’s refreshing to see the performance market start to recognize our cars, nice examples seem to be popping up everyday.

This is a great find! I need to lower the nose of my 76 Monte (weight loss from the lighter motor), to get it back to stock height. I was planning on cutting half a coil, but maybe I will just get some of these springs.

Anyone know how these paired up with a set of OEM rear springs would do together?
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:25 pm

A cut spring no matter if it is stock or aftermarket will always have a higher spring rate. That is why the OP's car rode harshly with cut stock springs.

I have a stickies post about springs in the suspension section, and a particular spring could be used in any A-body, Monte, and El Camino depending on the options ordered.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by oldstofty Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:55 am

Pictures of my car with chopped springs. This car also has 28 in tall tires on it.
[img]DSE lowering springs - Thoughts? 1511[/img]
[img]DSE lowering springs - Thoughts? 1610[/img]
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:12 am

Looks pretty evil... could this be the next big movie car...?
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BK-75 Wed May 01, 2013 12:36 am

Figured I would post an update-

Installed the DSE rear springs/ 4 Bilstein shocks back in mid Feb. Loved the ride height and handling on smoothest roads, but the springs were a bit too soft with a load (Full tank of gas plus kids in back seat).

The 1.5 drop turned into -2.5 plus loaded and started to feel some thumping from the rear bouncing off the bump stops over any medium dips in the road

Pics DSE Rear coils installed:

DSE lowering springs - Thoughts? 5c815472-f7e0-40b8-b417-859f7892927c_zps6d97f2a9

DSE lowering springs - Thoughts? 4abf517f-53b9-43ef-9514-f0147aef9609_zps0cfe8b37

Fast forward to last week, ordered Moog cc507 progressive rate rear springs and installed. Brought it back to stock height or maybe a bit more, but has great street manners over the rough roads.

It now needs a bit more tire to fill those well wells. Smile

Pics Moog CC507:

DSE lowering springs - Thoughts? Photo11_zpsd213b7ba

DSE lowering springs - Thoughts? Ecbae2aa-b771-49f1-9061-58c63d5c8e91_zpsb4116775

DSE lowering springs - Thoughts? 887b75db-ffa8-43da-aac7-18232fd5b25d_zps44710931

BK-75
BK-75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next