Absolute Noob Picking up a 76 Malibu

Go down

Absolute Noob Picking up a 76 Malibu

Post by STG_BB on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:22 pm

My name is Tyler I am new to the site but I have been following the forums for a couple weeks now. I don't currently own a G3 but I am looking into it. My grandfather ordered a 76 Chevelle Malibu from a dealership in New York while stationed in Germany. When he got back to the states he picked up his new Chevelle and drove it to Oklahoma. He has drove it since then while doing regular maintenance on it. Well that was until last year when he put it in park in his driveway, threw a cover over it and left it there(it ran well, he just got bored of it). He has offered to sell it to me. Sounds like a great deal right (with a pretty cool back story imo)? Well yeah knowing my grandfather the car is in pretty great shape even though I have not seen it yet, this would pretty good deal for someone who has even a minimal knowledge of cars but I know jack Turd about vehicles for the most part. Now, I am more than willing to learn how to work my on own vehicle. That brings up other problems, I am a sophomore in College so I will have time constraints. So, after all that long winded unnecessary information my main question is what would need to be done to turn it to a daily driver and how much would it cost? This is what I have come up with that I would need to do to start off: Flush all the fluids from the vehicle, change the filters, add new fluids, check the brakes, new spark plugs, new battery, check the belts and rubber and replace what needs to be replaced, prime the cylinders, and then crank it and see what happens? If it fires up let it warm up for a while and then take it around the block and listen for further problems. If it doesn't fire up then I would be stumped. Did I miss anything? I do not want to ruin the engine.
Question
TL;DR Lack of knowledge, time, and money but willing to invest what one has into it. Good or bad decision?
Looking for any and all opinions.
STG_BB
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Absolute Noob Picking up a 76 Malibu

Post by Mcarlo77 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:58 pm

Hey, Tyler...welcome to the site! Nice to hear another young dude like yourself is interested in this generation of cars!

The stuff you list in getting this car back on the road is pretty extensive for a car that's only been sitting for less than a year. I wouldn't even be afraid of the gas being too stale, yet. Sure, it's always a good idea to do all this stuff to establish a base line of maintenance, but if your grandfather has taken as good of care of it as you say, I would think you could simply check the fluids, turn it over and fire it up. Then, do the various maintenance tasks as time and money allow. Besides, he should be able to provide some information as to when the last time was that some or all of this stuff had been done. These cars are an excellent place to learn self maintenance as you can actually do most of it with a basic set of tools. Things are relatively easy to access, too. It should be a great learning process for you. Besides, we're all here to offer advice and don't ever feel like any question is stupid. We all had to learn somewhere. Keep us posted on your decision.
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:14 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Hey, Tyler...welcome to the site! Nice to hear another young dude like yourself is interested in this generation of cars!

The stuff you list in getting this car back on the road is pretty extensive for a car that's only been sitting for less than a year. I wouldn't even be afraid of the gas being too stale, yet. Sure, it's always a good idea to do all this stuff to establish a base line of maintenance, but if your grandfather has taken as good of care of it as you say, I would think you could simply check the fluids, turn it over and fire it up. Then, do the various maintenance tasks as time and money allow. Besides, he should be able to provide some information as to when the last time was that some or all of this stuff had been done. These cars are an excellent place to learn self maintenance as you can actually do most of it with a basic set of tools. Things are relatively easy to access, too. It should be a great learning process for you. Besides, we're all here to offer advice and don't ever feel like any question is stupid. We all had to learn somewhere. Keep us posted on your decision.

Couldn't have said it better.

You may want to consider that if you're looking to use the car as a daily driver- be prepared to spend some of your tuition repayment $$ on gas. That's my only gripe about these wonderful cars. If you're not driving a lot than no biggie but for long trips your wallet will feel it.
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by STG_BB on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:03 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Hey, Tyler...welcome to the site! Nice to hear another young dude like yourself is interested in this generation of cars!

Thanks for the welcome!
One of my details may have been a bit vague. The car has been sitting for a entire year. I'm not sure how much that alters things but just clearing it up a little.
STG_BB
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by STG_BB on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:04 pm

77mali wrote:

Couldn't have said it better.

You may want to consider that if you're looking to use the car as a daily driver- be prepared to spend some of your tuition repayment $$ on gas. That's my only gripe about these wonderful cars. If you're not driving a lot than no biggie but for long trips your wallet will feel it.

Haha, my wallet knows the feeling already. My current vehicle is an '83 Chevy Long Bed.
STG_BB
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:49 pm

Might need a battery and oil change and anti freeze but check with your grandfather about the last changes. Get yourself a manual (factory shop manual on ebay) it will help you take care of the car. Nice thing is they are super cheap to maintain.
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Mali brings up a good point with the gas mileage on these cars. But, it probably won't be any worse than what you're already spending on gas for the Long Bed Chevy. And, some of that can be recouped by doing your own maintenance. Did I mention most general maintenance parts for these cars are pretty cheap, too? It's a win-win situation, my friend!

Back to the car sitting for a year...that's still not excessive and wouldn't change my approach to starting it up. I'd guess the battery might be dead...but, that doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be replaced. Put it on a charger and see what you've got. Throw a 5 gal. can's worth of fresh gas in it and give it a try. When it fires up (and, I'll bet it will), just keep an ear out for any unusual noises (i.e. knocks, squeals, tics, etc.) and shut it down if something doesn't sound right. Keep in mind, here in the snow belt, we put cars in storage for 6 mos at a time...and, no harm done.

Being an OK car, that thing should be relatively rust-free, huh?
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by STG_BB on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Thanks for the advise guys. It is much appreciated.

I am going to try to make it to my grandpa's house this weekend to see it and probably take it off his hands, but he is very adventurous since retirement so I will have to see when he's home.

From my grandpa's description it is pretty much rust free. He said he had it painted not to long ago.
STG_BB
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by pila on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:59 am

Welcome to a great place Tyler !! Very Happy
Gas mileage ? Heck, my Malibu gets right up there to 9 MPG !! Very Happy
Yours will do much better.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:59 am

Post some pics of this Grandpa car.

I love older folks' classic cars. Chances are if they've had them that long they're very well taken care of.

77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by STG_BB on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:08 pm

It took some time but I finally made it up to my grandpa's. Now all I need to do is find a trailer and bring her on home.

Snagged some quick pics while I was there.
[img][/img][img][/img]
STG_BB
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:13 pm

You better thank your Grandfather twice and be extra nice for a long time!! http://www.thirdgen. That is one sweet lookin' Classic! If the chrome looks as good in person as it does in that picture, you've got a real keeper!
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:25 pm

nice score brother .... that's another oddity Half Vinyl roof on a non laguna ?? Still very cool and looks to be in good shape ....
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:30 am

welcome aboard
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:48 am

NICE! welcome aboard.
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:16 am

Sweet ride
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Looks good,get some nice mag wheels for it and it will look extra good!
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Limey SE wrote:nice score brother .... that's another oddity Half Vinyl roof on a non laguna ?? Still very cool and looks to be in good shape ....

You could get a Malibu Classic Landau, with the half roof.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Very nice start! Wish mine was that clean when I started. Good luck.
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by STG_BB on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks everyone. http://www.thirdgen.

Yeah, Ponti I am definitely grateful for my grandpa selling me his car and I have let him know that and will continue to. Very Happy

Ant, yeah I will for sure have to get some new wheels, looks a little funny with four different wheels.
STG_BB
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum