G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Polyeurethane VS Rubber

4 posters

Go down

Polyeurethane VS Rubber Empty Polyeurethane VS Rubber

Post by Landonus Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:19 am

Let's have a bushing/mount fight!

Thought this would make for good reference. Let's hear from anyone who has bought, installed, and driven on these two different materials. From complete kits to small kits and single installations. List your pros and cons so folks can make an educated purchase without any unwanted surprises. I plan on replacing all the bushings/mounts on my G3 this summer and I figure this would help me as well as other people wanting to do the same, whether to decide on a full kit or to mix and match accordingly. Please feel free to post pics and or links to other threads to help combine all matters on the subject. I see posts here and there about one type or the other but nothing covering both and in any great depth, so I figured this wouldn't hurt.
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Polyeurethane VS Rubber Empty Re: Polyeurethane VS Rubber

Post by alleyball4 Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:43 am

I have driven on both .... but it is difficult to compare .... because there are different grades of polyeurethane. The high-end stuff is a little softer, yet has the durable features you're looking for. Spohn used to carry some of those bushings ...

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1973-1977-GM-A-Body/Suspension/Polyurethane-Bushings-Accessories/

.... they can get pricey.
Some of the stuff you see in Summit and Jegs, is a little stiffer and made strictly for the performance side. It can be a little rougher on the ride.

A good rule of thumb is, if youre planning on keeping your car less than 10 years, and not running alot of horsepower (i.e. torque) rubber should do just fine, plus it's a little cheaper, and a little more forgiving on the ride.

If your car is your lifelong playmate, or you've got a beast of a set-up, then don't cut corners on bushings, and get a high-end polyeurethane set.
I know when I see those high-end red Spohn bushings on a car .... for me, it sends a message that, "this guy didn't cut corners on his suspension".

Last edited by alleyball4 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:40 am

I've been running polyurethane bushings in my front and rear control arms since the late 80's. I find they make the suspension feel "tighter" if thats the word to use. I like them for that purpose. I'm in the process of a chassis swap right now and have decided to go with rubber. I think poly would be fine but I would like something that is a little forgiving.

Just FYI, if I remember correctly, on a 73 only, there are (2) different sizes of bushing for the FRONT LOWER control arms. Dont remember the diameters off hand but you have to measure yours before you buy. 73 only!!! Just FYI.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:43 pm

I agree on using the poly stuff on suspension items, but I use the rubber body mounts, which have a bit of give to them for the body to sit good on the frame.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down