G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oh this cant be good////UPDATED GOOD NEWS

5 posters

Go down

oh this cant be good////UPDATED GOOD NEWS Empty oh this cant be good////UPDATED GOOD NEWS

Post by alive 75 Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:15 pm

so before i did anything i checked my oil and it was right to the full mark, i started my Monte and after a few minutes of idling my oil light came on, i turned the car off waited a few minutes and started it again, the oil light did not come on until about 30 seconds after the engine was re-started, it was running smooth as silk with no noise or clatter, i gave it a little gas to see if the light would go off or flash and it didn't,, it just stayed lit so i turned it off and left it... she still has the original engine with the original oil sending unit. i just hope that sending unit has gone bad and i'm not looking at a re-build

Last edited by alive 75 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
alive 75
alive 75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

oh this cant be good////UPDATED GOOD NEWS Empty Re: oh this cant be good////UPDATED GOOD NEWS

Post by ant7377 Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Reach back there and jiggle the wire for the sending unit. It might be chaffed and touching,making the light come on. Worse comes to worse hook up a oil pressure gauge in place of factory sending unit and see whats going on. Still crap,order 454 from Summit and be done with it!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

oh this cant be good////UPDATED GOOD NEWS Empty Re: oh this cant be good////UPDATED GOOD NEWS

Post by 77mali Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:37 pm

The sending unit wires in the harness are the thinnest I've run across yet working on the car. It's probably frayed - mine split in two when I was taking it of the sender while taking the motor out. If it's running right- it s/b ok, double check that wire.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:49 pm

If it's the engine itself, the oil light would have lit when the engine and oil were hot, the last time you drove it. Very likely it's wiring or the sending unit.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:38 pm

You say the oil was full, did you look to see if it was milky looking?
JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by alive 75 Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:35 pm

i started it again this afternoon, this time after about 2 minutes of it idling the oil light came on. I wiggled the wire and the light went off, then came back on. I let the motor idle for about 5 minutes taking a chance and nothing happened, I'm picking up a oil sending unit in the morning and hopefully this will stop the light from coming on, the oil is clean and not milky as if the head gaskets went bad, i changed the oil back in November before it was stored for the winter.
alive 75
alive 75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:43 pm

Good to hear,you would really like the 454 though,trust me on this.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by alive 75 Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:29 pm

installed a new oil sending unit earlier today and the oil light is OUT. took her out for about a 30 minute ride and everything was normal. so i can now move on with my headers and new exhaust upgrades cheers

ps... ant7377 i will have that 454 someday,, i gotta stretch this old 350 as far as she will go,, pay a few bills off,, then concentrate fully on the an engine upgrade.

thanks for all you guys support and suggestions.. Danny
alive 75
alive 75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Good to hear !
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down