G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideas for header paint?

+2
Pontichev327
fishhead
6 posters

Go down

Ideas for header paint?  Empty Ideas for header paint?

Post by Bruisr Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:25 pm

I'll be getting my big block from the machine shop in about a week, I'm currently cleaning parts and mocking up things up on a spare 454. I have a set of hooker headers that are pretty nasty looking. I know about ceramic coating them,(to expensive), does anybody have any tricks that worked for them using hi heat paint? I realize eventually they will start to discolor, but I'm just looking for something realitively cheap and easy, and last a decent amount of time. My plan is to sand off the rust, and previous paint, clean and paint black with VHT hi heat paint. Is there any other types of paint that work better than others?

Last edited by Bruisr on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : too much to drink! lol)
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Ideas for header paint?  Empty Re: Ideas for header paint?

Post by fishhead Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:08 pm

Not sure about a better paint but I had great results using Airplane paint stripper from AutoZone to remove the factory paint from my new Hooker Super Comps so I could apply VHT.Of course I scrubbed them with a brillo pad and rinsed them off with a spray nozzle before painting.Abrasive blasting would make for better adhesion but all my dough was spent on the headers so I had to cheap out.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:41 am

Hey Bruisr, POR - 20 is a super strong header paint by the POR-15 rust guys, and comes in several colors. Also, you should type" high temp header paint " into bing or google, there are lots of choices!
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:59 am

Seems like headers are a pain in the a$$ no matter what we do with them, including ceramic coating. I had to use manifolds on my Elco, because of no room for headers (Caddy engine) and I bought some black stuff from Eastwood to paint on them. Likely wont last very long, and I cured them with high heat too....
I guess we have to touch up the paint at every oil change !

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:47 am

I've used POR-15 engine paint and was really impressed with results, so much so, I've done 4 engines with the stuff. I don't have a compressor big enough to power a spray gun so, I'm limited to spray cans. Also, I don't have anyway to heat cure the paint. The 454 will be a fresh rebuild so cam break in is a must. JetHot will void warranty on ceramic coating if they find out you break in a cam with their coatings. These headers are seasoned, not that it makes a difference, but I'm just gonna use VHT flame proof paint, and let the arizona sun do the curing for me. I know it wont last but, It will look better than rust colored. I'll save the good stuff for my chevelle, after all this will be a daily driver, and I'm not one to polish the engine every week.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:06 am

I'm using "Factory Manifold Gray" by Por 15. It's a high temp (1400 degrees).

They really do make great products. Difference in this & Por 20 is the stuff i'm using is a "ceramic-like" coating. I have one done & one in just prepped steel so when I break in the engine- I'll see how it looks, before I do the other one. It's texture is such that it also minimizes the the horror of the "rust pits" somewhat.

Ideas for header paint?  P1040912

http://www.por15.com/FACTORY-MANIFOLD-GRAY/productinfo/FMGH/

Wally had a good looking product too from Eastwood I think he's using on his LS build.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 am

I have used this from Eastwood. I have had that small can for 15 years now. Its done 3 sets of stock style manifolds and short cast iron headers. It will bake off over time but you just brush some more on it in the spring with a cheap foam brush. It smokes for a bit until it gets hot but then your good for another year.

http://www.eastwood.com/satin-black-high-temp-coating-kit.html

They have more to choose from also.
http://search.eastwood.com/search?w=high%20temp%20exhaust%20paint
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum