G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Howdy from Texas, y'all!

+4
Hydro King
JB2wheeler
coreys73chevelle
JasonZ
8 posters

Go down

Howdy from Texas, y'all! Empty Howdy from Texas, y'all!

Post by ' HARRY ' Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:47 am

Just found this site and glad to be here. I see several old friends from a forum where I used to post are here at G3GM as well. It will be good to hear from you again. Very Happy

These are great cars. For the most part, I will be researching steering, suspension and braking upgrades to improve handling and stopping. You see, I am helping a friend who is working on his 2nd 1950 Chevy truck. Both trucks are sitting on gen. 3 Chevelle chassis. I was so favourably impressed by the way the first truck rides and handles that I have decided to modify a similar chassis and fit it under my 1957 Chevy sedan. So I will have a few questions regarding chassis upgrades for the gen. 3 A-body cars.

Best regards to all,

Harry
' HARRY '
' HARRY '
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Howdy from Texas, y'all! Empty Re: Howdy from Texas, y'all!

Post by JasonZ Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:48 am

CT expat wrote:Just found this site and glad to be here. I see several old friends from a forum where I used to post are here at G3GM as well. It will be good to hear from you again. Very Happy

These are great cars. For the most part, I will be researching steering, suspension and braking upgrades to improve handling and stopping. You see, I am helping a friend who is working on his 2nd 1950 Chevy truck. Both trucks are sitting on gen. 3 Chevelle chassis. I was so favourably impressed by the way the first truck rides and handles that I have decided to modify a similar chassis and fit it under my 1957 Chevy sedan. So I will have a few questions regarding chassis upgrades for the gen. 3 A-body cars.

Best regards to all,

Harry

Harry the guy who would back up all his stuff with the things he said,or is this another Harry? If your going to do any suspension mods go with global west and their del-a-lum bushing.
JasonZ
JasonZ
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:54 pm

WELCOME ABOARD HARRY, and as jason said i would go with them also, global west or the hotchkiss cant go with either one.post some pics up sounds like an interesting build

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:09 pm

Welcome Harry. Global West is good stuff. I did not know they have products for newer than 1972 models. I was talked into Hotchkis because my speed shop makes more profit on them, but I much prefer Edelbrock products over the Hotchkis. If you have the money you can do all kinds of things. I will list in order of importance. Front and rear sway bars, this will do more than any other ONE thing. Next upper and lower rear control arms, GW or Edel. Hotchkis works, I am just giving my preferances. If you have Hydro's money you could even get a 4 link rear suspention, but its not worth the effort and money unless you are a professional driver. The 10 bolt 8.5 inch rear is not all that bad if improved by larger 30 spline axles. I have about 550 HP, but have not gave it everything with 12 inch slicks on it. Next, Global West has, along with Hamburgers and others, some good light weight and very expensive parts for the front end suspention. I often wonder if they are worth the money, that is the reason I do not have them yet. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:47 pm

welcome to g3gm Harry
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by ' HARRY ' Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:03 pm

Very Happy Thanks, Cory! Its really good to be here. Looking forward to hearing from you. How is your '73 set up?

Yes, its me, Jason! Great to hear from you. Thanks for the tip on suspension parts. I'll check them out. And please tell Killer Chevelle I said 'Howdy' and thank him for standing up for Blonde Angel. Takes guts to do the right thing instead of going along with the crowd. A big thumbs up to Dino!

Limey, thanks for the warm welcome. Glad to be here and I appreciate your help in pointing me in the right direction. I'll check out both Global West and Hotchkiss. Yes, the first truck worked out great. Looks like a regular 1950 truck that has been lowered and has a few custom touches. Rides and handles great. The 2nd 1950 truck is wilder and is just beginning to take shape. It will be a roadster pickup, so the top has been removed. The cab and Chevelle frame have been lengthened to accommodate a jump seat. For my 1957 sedan, I want to build a sleeper and keep the exteriour and interiour as original as possible. Only mount the body an a modified Chevelle frame with some handling and braking upgrades. I don't have a digital camera or a website. But I'll see if I can borrow a camera and ask a friend to host some pictures on his site.

Thanks, JB. Good to find old friends in new places. Yes, I'll check out Global West and Hotchkiss. Didn't know Edelbrock made suspension parts, but I'll check them out, too. Like my buddy's trucks, my '57 sedan will be a driver. Function over form. Don't have a lot of money, so will do all the work I can myself and farm out only what I have to. It will be pretty straight forward.

First, I will modify the Chevelle frame to fit beneath the '57 body. Just subframing the front would be much easier, but I would like to update the rear suspension as well. The high frame kickup over the rear end will require removing some original interiour sheetmetal in that area and forming new metal to cover. The front mounted steering box will fall just beneath the driver's side radiator core support filler panel and the front splashpan. And the frame will need modifications to accommodate the stock '57 body to frame mounts and bumpers front and rear, but that is just a matter of careful fitment before final welding.

Regarding suspension mods, I am thinking beefy front and rear anti-sway bars, stiff springing, firm shocks and boxing the rear suspension arms myself. Maybe build in some alternate suspension mounting points and beefing those up so I can experiment a bit with suspension geometry. For brakes, 12" rotors on all 4 corners and PBR calipers along with a set of widened 15" 9C1 cop car wheels I have. And adding a couple extra crossmembers to stiffen the frame. My engine should be putting out close to 500 ft./lb. of torque. I have a good T-56 6-speed tranny and a '57 Pontiac 9-1/4" rear end housing with an Olds posi 3rd member and 31-spline axles. So I can weld on bracketry to convert it from leaf spring to the Chevelle type coil spring suspension. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

At least that's the plan going in. This will be a slow build as I can find the time and money. But I'll let you know how it goes.

Best regards to all,

Harry
' HARRY '
' HARRY '
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:10 pm

ive done all the mods to my 73, has the matching block 350 .30 over about 400hp and the matching th350 transmission., make sure to keep us updated on the 57' and the 50's, feel free to post as many questions as you want in the g3tech section, we will be glad to help.

-for the rear suspension..hotrodredneck has a nice set up his air ride is a modified camaro package, might want to look at that?
-Hydro King will most likey be the man to ask, he just got done with his frame/suspension build.
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:20 pm

Harry, your plans sound great. Good luck with them. I dont know if you will be able to improve on the mounting points for the suspention, the 73/77 A body suspentions were well planned. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by ' HARRY ' Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:35 pm

Thanks, JB. That's good info. I'll make a note of that. If no suspension geometry changes required, I'll just beef the heck out of everything and work towards a stock appearing '57 Chevy with cornering and braking on par with a mid-90s 9C1 cop car. Or better. Wink

I'll ask a lot of questions as I get further into this build, but will try not to bug you guys unless its something I can't figure out.

Happy Motoring,

Harry
' HARRY '
' HARRY '
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:53 pm

not to change you away from chevelle frame harry but monte carlo frames are a little better built IMHO (yea i know) they even offer a factory steering stablizer and i believe a longer frame already i am sure i will be corrected on the length but i am sure about the steering stablizer......JUST A THOUGHT

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by ' HARRY ' Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:04 am

Smile Thanks! I'll check out the Monte Carlo frames, Limey. Which years are the best? '70 - '72? '73 - '76? or the downsized '78 - '81 Montes?

FWIW...... My '57 sedan has a 115" wheel base and track widths are 58" (front) & 58.7" (rear).

The '64 - '65 and '78 - '81 A-bodies and the '86 and earlier G-bodies are very close on track width. The various wider track widths for the larger cars from '66 - '77 can be utilized as well if correctly back spaced wheels are selected. 115" to 116" wheelbase will fit without altering frame length. Others will work with frame length / wheelbase modified as needed.

Best regards,

Harry
' HARRY '
' HARRY '
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro King Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:43 am

Good to see you here harry.
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:55 am

' HARRY ' wrote:Smile Thanks! I'll check out the Monte Carlo frames, Limey. Which years are the best? '70 - '72? '73 - '76? or the downsized '78 - '81 Montes?

FWIW...... My '57 sedan has a 115" wheel base and track widths are 58" (front) & 58.7" (rear).

The '64 - '65 and '78 - '81 A-bodies and the '86 and earlier G-bodies are very close on track width. The various wider track widths for the larger cars from '66 - '77 can be utilized as well if correctly back spaced wheels are selected. 115" to 116" wheelbase will fit without altering frame length. Others will work with frame length / wheelbase modified as needed.

Best regards,

Harry
i would say the 73 -77 harry

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by ' HARRY ' Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:56 pm

Hydro King wrote:Good to see you here harry.

Very Happy Thanks, Hydro King. Really appreciate the welcome. And plenty glad to be here. G3GM is a great forum and there are lots of folks knowledgeable about these cars that I can learn from here.

Best regards,

Harry
' HARRY '
' HARRY '
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ' HARRY ' Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Limey aka Maligoon wrote:
' HARRY ' wrote:Smile Thanks! I'll check out the Monte Carlo frames, Limey. Which years are the best? '70 - '72? '73 - '76? or the downsized '78 - '81 Montes?

i would say the 73 -77 harry

Very Happy That's what I was thinking as well, Limey. The '73 - '77 A-body cars have a wider track than my car, but I can work out a backspacing for the wheels that will allow me to keep the tires inside my '57s fender wells. Probably a plus. Kinda like the newer Crown Vic cop cars. The increased backspacing moves the center of the wheel inboard and closer to the front ball joints. And that should reduce tire scrub and leveraged loading on the outer wheel bearing when turning the front wheels. I'll just have to make sure there is enough clearance at the points the front tires might rub the frame and suspension components when turned lock to lock. I can always notch the frame rails at those points and weld in boxing plates if necessary.

Do you know if the '73 - '77 Monte Carlo is on the 116" wheelbase frame? I am researching this and so far, all I have been able to find reference to is that the regular '73 -'77 GM A-body cars utilized a 112" wheelbase for coupes and a 116" wheelbase for 4-door sedans and station wagons. The earlier '70 - '72 Monte Carlo used a 116" wheelbase frame, but so far I haven't found a wheelbase listed for the '73 - '76 Monte.

Best regards,

Harry

P.S. >>>> We are getting quite a storm through here just now. Severe thunderstorm, flash flood and tornado watches from the national weather service...... The whole shooting match. I would estimate winds gusting past 70 MPH and rain at better than 3" per hour for the past couple of hours and just now slacking off a bit. Have lost electric power several times and am on battery backup for my computer now with a flashlight to see around the house. If the power doesn't come back on soon, I'll need to shut down the computer here and answer any further posts later this evening.

Last edited by ' HARRY ' on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
' HARRY '
' HARRY '
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by lincoln_guy1991 Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:56 pm

Wecome Home Harry We've been waiting for you!! Or at Least I have! Grapevine, Tx here.
lincoln_guy1991
lincoln_guy1991
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:57 pm

shut it down harry you can always post later when your not swirling around in the air trying to type

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by ' HARRY ' Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:57 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, lincoln guy! Its good to be home. Ever feel as if you just came home, even though its a place you've never been before? That's how it has been for me since I found this forum. Just feel like I belong and I am amongst friends here. Really appreciate all those who have taken the time to say 'Howdy'.

Made it through the storms OK, Limey. Power is back on now and I'll check outside tomorrow when I can see better to make sure no trees nor fences blown down. Texas doesn't have a climate...... It has weather. And if you don't like the weather here, if you wait around a bit, it will likely change.

Best regards,

Harry
' HARRY '
' HARRY '
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ' HARRY ' Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:59 am

coreys73chevelle wrote:ive done all the mods to my 73, has the matching block 350 .30 over about 400hp and the matching th350 transmission., make sure to keep us updated on the 57' and the 50's, feel free to post as many questions as you want in the g3tech section, we will be glad to help.

-for the rear suspension..hotrodredneck has a nice set up his air ride is a modified camaro package, might want to look at that?
-Hydro King will most likey be the man to ask, he just got done with his frame/suspension build.

Will do, Corey. Your '73 sounds really nice. Bet she runs great. I'll post every now and then as I research parts and make progress on my '57. I'll keep you updated on my buddy's truck as well.

Yes, I'll check with Hydro King and hotrodredneck on their suspension setups as well. Looking to stay fairly close to the stock setup, only beefed up a bit and with upgraded handling and stopping capabilities. This will be a driver and not a show car, so function over form and strength over lightweight components if it gets down to a choice one way or the other.

Happy Motoring,

Harry
' HARRY '
' HARRY '
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corvette_jeff Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:38 am

harry, is this the same 57' you showed me a picture of a while back? the black one? It sounds like a pretty cool project anyways, maybe you can get a nice ls motor to put in it? Very Happy

I know what you mean about feeling at home even though youve never been to the place before. I feel alot better here than i ever did at CT, just feel a little awkward being the only person here without a g3 Embarassed
corvette_jeff
corvette_jeff
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down