G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car cover

+2
JB2wheeler
77mali
6 posters

Go down

Car cover Empty Car cover

Post by Shaunaconda Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:43 pm

Since I have to leave my '76 Laguna outside now, I better get a cover for it. Anyone have thoughts on which kind to get. I've seen tons of them. Just wondering about the different quality and universal fit vs a custom fit. If they make a custom fit?
Shaunaconda
Shaunaconda
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Car cover Empty Re: Car cover

Post by Pontichev327 Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Car cover <a href=Car cover Car_pi16" />Car cover <a href=Car cover Car_pi15" />Car cover <a href=Car cover Car_pi14" />Car cover <a href=Car cover Car_pi13" />                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        ............      My 69 Camaro had to be outside for a while and I got a  fitted "noah" cover from California car covers. It lasted about three years outside then another year in my Harbor Freight car tent. I bought another one after that and still have it now with only a small rip in it where I messed it up. If you have room, I HIGHLY recommend the tents. They really save the interiors. I have bought at least four different types of covers for the Laguna and Grand Ams, None as weatherproof as the "noah though.The Blue cover is junk for OUTside storage, in the tent it is fine. I can't remember the brand though. THe Grey one is the fitted "noah" cover on the Camaro. Then The picture of the Car tent. It is the 18 foot by 8 foot I think.
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaunaconda Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Car tent looks cool but can't do it where I live. But I'll definitely check on the cover. Thanks!
Shaunaconda
Shaunaconda
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:28 am

Why can't you have the tent? That would be your best bet. Since my car's "in process" I haven't spent the $$ on one yet but I do intend to.

I had a really nice 4 layer cover I bought on e-bay from a company in Cali. With the snow & whatnot up here it lasted about a year & a half before it got brittle & started to rip. The UV rays also do a job on them & they are never completely waterproof either. What I do now is lay a good quality tarp over the car & I have an Autozone car cover over that (pretty much just to hold the tarp down) & another tarp over that. Sounds a little crazy but I've had no water infiltration anywhere on the body & we had a pretty harsh winter. Tractor Supply has some nice tarps that are reflective on one side (silver) & brown on the other.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:57 am

77mali wrote:Why can't you have the tent?  That would be your best bet.  Since my car's "in process"  I haven't spent the $$ on one yet but I do intend to.

I had a really nice 4 layer cover I bought on e-bay from a company in Cali.  With the snow & whatnot up here it lasted about a year & a half before it got brittle & started to rip.  The UV rays also do a job on them & they are never completely waterproof either.  What I do now is lay a good quality tarp over the car & I have an Autozone car cover over that (pretty much just to hold the tarp down) & another tarp over that.  Sounds a little crazy but I've had no water infiltration anywhere on the body & we had a pretty harsh winter.  Tractor Supply has some nice tarps that are reflective on one side (silver) & brown on the other.
Laying a tarp directly on a car will cause condensation and trap water on the car. It's about like what a vinyl top will do to your car. If you must do this, put plastic plumbing pipe or simular under the tarp to create a little air flow under there. I once had a cheap outfit that was about 18x12 feet and had a plumbing pipe frame with a vinyl cover that I bought from Pep Boys for $100 and loved it. I had a 64 Dodge Dart 4 speed convertible under it and had a minor heart attack and while I was in the hospital we had a foot of snow and I was not there to rake the snow off and it collipsed on my car. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:30 pm

It also would depend on whether or not you are going to be leaving it on the car ALL the time, or taking it off and drying the car and cover after each storm. Maintenance is the key. Sometimes I will put a 7 mil plastic sheet over the car, then cover it with a car cover just for a storm or two, then pull it off, dry the car and put the cover back on after the weather passes. It is mainly to keep water out of the window corners where the leaks usually are.
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:42 pm

I have a Noah California cover for my 73 and I just bought a cover for the 74 laguna. I said is was a 75 so inc-case I swapped nose fronts the cover would fit. I like the cover from http://www.carcovers.com/covers/cars.html better than the California cover. It stays on better in the elements and repels water pretty good. I did treat both my cover with 303 water proof protect-ant. Its what they use on boat tops and awning. It was less in price but I like it better. see what I paid below.

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
Ultimate Shield Car Cover
Car Model
1975 Chevrolet Chevelle Laguna 2 Door Coupe uscc 1 $169.95
Free Bonus Items (Cable & Lock Set, Storage Bag & Antenna Patch) + FREE Shipping ($24.95 value) freebonuspluscable 1 $0.00
3 Microfiber Dusting Cloths (Limited Time Free Bonus With Ultimate Shield Cover) 3pkMFDC 1 $0.00
Subtotal $169.95
Shipping & Handling $0.00
Grand Total $169.95

[url=Car cover Car_co10Car cover <a href=Car cover Car_co11" />

Car cover <a href=Car cover Car_co12" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Thanks for the info, Wally! I'll be needing one as well.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:29 am

sunny That's a good price Wally, thanxxxx! i need a new one for my 73.
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:45 am

Any time guys.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member