Rear Spoiler - 69 Camaro from Tamra’z - 109.00
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: Soon to arrive!

Post by 77mali on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:35 am

Can't wait to see the progress photos w/ all that new stuff :-)

How on earth did you find a Camaro front spoiler for that cheap? Thumbs up 
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:51 am

Sweet dude i bought all mine from rock auto. Ill be putting together my front end next weekend. The other thing you might want to do is get new front sway bar bushings and links.
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit on Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:22 am

May do that as well. Hadn't thought about that!

I still need to get one for the rear too. Don't even have one.
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:11 pm

Auto zone stocks the sway bar mounts in urethane along with the matching stab links. You will need to know the bar diameter though. I use a big wrench, but your front bar should be 7/8 ".
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks cool blue Chevelle drivin dude!
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:52 pm

No problem.Cool 
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila on Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:14 pm

The front bar could be replaced with a thicker bar, like a 1 1/8 inch, for better handling & less body roll in the turns. You might think about that before you buy bushings & links for the sway bar.....
Rear bars do make a difference too....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:50 pm

I don't think I heard of anyone using a '69 rear spoiler.  Have you seen it done, Or are you trying something different?Question
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:54 pm

Theres been a couple pics floating around here or there of one done.
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:36 pm

He got a front spoiler/scoop for the bumper, if I read it right.
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:20 pm

The last item on his list says '69 rear spoiler for $109 .00.Suspect

Last edited by dynchel on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited details)
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:54 pm

That will look cool...I'd think you can make it work w/ some cutting & shaving
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Pics Ideas and Inspirations

Post by driveit on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:24 am

I saw a few that had use both from a 69 Camaro.  There was a little cutting involved on one in particular for the rear to shorten it so that it ended at the deck lid edge.

I may do that as well, but want to see how it looks first.  (hate drilling holes in my car though!)

Check out the link below it is full of inspiration.  Some pics on here may belong to some here, I hope you don't mind!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ONScFt_dEsX8ZSGHyh6r8Ac7m6EcreRQV3nhDjZi3aY/edit?usp=sharing

This one is for my current direction for the car.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pCX5-B1bMXyTJ2r1y3Z1bLyVwEhVpOB6oclzhxgQGm0/edit?usp=sharing
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Check out the link below it is full of inspiration. Some pics on here may belong to some here, I hope you don't mind!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ONScFt_dEsX8ZSGHyh6r8Ac7m6EcreRQV3nhDjZi3aY/edit?usp=sharing

This one is for my current direction for the car.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pCX5-B1bMXyTJ2r1y3Z1bLyVwEhVpOB6oclzhxgQGm0/edit?usp=sharing
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Can't wait to see how it shapes up!

Glad you're not taking on too much at once, though -- so you'll be done by the end of next week, right? Wink

thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:49 pm

lol hoping!
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Good Luck! Just completed mine this spring. Never goes the way your expecting it too! Hope yours does.
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:32 am

Any tips for the process. Suspension rebuilding advise, special tools I might need.

I have never done any of this. So any tips are appreciated.
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:52 am

You'll need a ball joint press (rent one from auto zone or buy from harbor freight). A spring compressor (for the front springs).  A pickle fork is helpful but not completely necessary.  Here's a suggestion, since you are replacing ball joints and bushings have the arms sandblasted and paint them before reassembly... make it look pretty.  Also if the upper ball joints are OE they will be riveted in place. The easiest way to deal with that is a air hammer.  If you don't have a air hammer a chisel and a punch will work, just with a lot more effort.Beer 
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:12 am

Autozone has lots of loaner tools. You pay up front but get 100% refund on return.

If you're doing this yourself- keep safety in mind...jack stands, a good strong jack that can achieve a good height...etc. I would get a manual for your car's year from ebay- they're not that much $$. The front springs are compressed @ about 50% of their total height "off the car", they can seriously jack you up if your not careful removing them.
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks for the tips guys. Anymore, please bring them on.
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:31 am

Pickle forks are cheap, but a PITA.  Get this to remove the tie rod and ball joints from spindle, and this to remove the lower ball joints from the lower control arms.  Mali's right, buy them from Auto Zone, use them, and return them.  It's their quasi-tool-rental system. Smile

If the upper ball joint has never been replaced, you will have to grind the heads off the 4 rivets and drive the pins out.  The replacement unit will come with nuts & bolts.

I can't remember if it was dynchel or Joe73 who mentioned this (please correct me, guys, I want to give credit where credit is due), but removing the springs is best done using this compressor, but not the way they intended: remove the threaded clamp, hook the non-threaded clamp down near the bottom of the spring, then run the rod up through the shock hole in the upper control arm.  Using the tightening nut with a couple large steel fender washers from there will compress the spring so you can drop the lower control arm.  Once that's disconnected, you can decompress the spring slowly.  Works great.

If blasting/painting the arms is not an option, Eastwood's rust encapsulator looks good and works great and applies with a brush.

And while you're there, you'll probably need new rubber bump stops: lower from Rock Auto and upper from OPGI.

If yours is anything like mine, you will also need to disconnect the steering rag joint in order to get the driver's side upper control arm off.
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:54 am

I have also cut front springs while still in the car (oxy acetylene torch) then there's no tension on them and safe to remove with no compressor.
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:11 am

thatfnthing wrote:Pickle forks are cheap, but a PITA.  Get this to remove the tie rod and ball joints from spindle, and this to remove the lower ball joints from the lower control arms.  Mali's right, buy them from Auto Zone, use them, and return them.  It's their quasi-tool-rental system. Smile

If the upper ball joint has never been replaced, you will have to grind the heads off the 4 rivets and drive the pins out.  The replacement unit will come with nuts & bolts.

I can't remember if it was dynchel or Joe73 who mentioned this (please correct me, guys, I want to give credit where credit is due), but removing the springs is best done using this compressor, but not the way they intended: remove the threaded clamp, hook the non-threaded clamp down near the bottom of the spring, then run the rod up through the shock hole in the upper control arm.  Using the tightening nut with a couple large steel fender washers from there will compress the spring so you can drop the lower control arm.  Once that's disconnected, you can decompress the spring slowly.  Works great.

If blasting/painting the arms is not an option, Eastwood's rust encapsulator looks good and works great and applies with a brush.

And while you're there, you'll probably need new rubber bump stops: lower from Rock Auto and upper from OPGI.

If yours is anything like mine, you will also need to disconnect the steering rag joint in order to get the driver's side upper control arm off.
That wasnt me who posted that way of doing the front springs. But I really like it for when the lower arms are off the car. I will be doing it that way when I reassemble my new frame. Especially since theres no motor on it for extra weight.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top