G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 door Maybe?

+3
JB2wheeler
pila
77mali
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

4 door Maybe? Empty 4 door Maybe?

Post by driveit Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:15 pm

My uncle has a 4 door that I am thinking of purchasing.  It is a 6 cylinder, but I am not sure of the size.  I think that it is a mid 80s model, but I am not sure.  Anyone have any good pics of a 4 door that has been fixed up?

I am thinking like this, but as a 4 door would be cool.
4 door Maybe? NGBLozw8uMlHm6fAyddo3DB9LzC5KH_SNoQeoiPiTjQ_uXtxeuKYHalYEiq3UgLctvWAbng1U1DckvAYg9DBGT3rUTt-frOBrvuKYjJ_GLmw8Xot7ibC70Iekw

Rims like the first, but as a 4 door like the one below.

4 door Maybe? P9WSihC257Ry_VLdCCx6Txo2EMjXIMYeyBxlt_dR90MxlGHfARooawAy1BfbJoo52ei9vxhSB2stOklKpo3HgPLaOAzyzIV0WcHNq2MZnV3Mx4_mppIxQWyPDQ

What do you guys think?

Wonder how it would be on gas? I know it has a 6 banger with a TH350 behind. I don't have any idea what the gears are. I know the cars are lighter, but not sure by how much.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

4 door Maybe? Empty Re: 4 door Maybe?

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:52 pm

These are very good cars. You can not put very large wheels on them, I tried. I have been told I did not know what I was doing, so there is a matter of opinion there. GM had some great V6s and they all bolt in like a champ. There have been many big blocks put in there, but I would think you could use a feeler guage to check how much room is left over. One big problem, these cars had not started using rust resistant materials in them like later years. The frames are lighter made than G3 models and with no good frame material the frame and bottom of car needs to be checked very carefully. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:27 pm

Not sure about 4 doors but the G body Malibu coupes are very popular for street rod & race builds. They sell for more than our cars do (chevy to chevy comparison for malibu & el-camino). I always liked them but they are way, way smaller than the G3's. I almost bought a 78 Malibu Classic but then I found my 77.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Heres my 4 door toy, really my wifes, but I did do the body work and "custom" additions, and put the time in.4 door Maybe? <a href=4 door Maybe? 2012-013" />
Not a g-body but it is a four door sedan (not even the better hardtop version)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:58 pm

I've always liked 4 doors, to my disadvantage. One of the worse mistakes I ever made was choosing the wrong car to keep one time. I had 2 54 Fords, one a 4 door and the other a skyliner 2 door hardtop. I keep the 4 door because I liked 4 doors. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:11 pm

The older one's look cool here is shot of my brothers 58 Pontiac chieftain 4 door hard top. We just finished painting it be for Back to the 50's show this year in June. He did not even have the emblems on it yet for the show. It has Pontiac 400 now and a turbo 350 trany four wheel disc brakes, Vintange AC. Its a Awesome car and with the windows done you don't know it a 4 door as it's a hard top with no posts.

4 door Maybe? <a href=4 door Maybe? 2013-610" />

4 door Maybe? <a href=4 door Maybe? 2013-410" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:53 am

Thats cool.  Does anyone have any pics of 4 door g-bodies?

Oh, and I found out that it is an 82.  I believe with a carbed 3.8.

Last edited by driveit on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:02 am

Probably a 3.8 litre.  231 v6.Laughing
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:32 am

4 door Maybe? <a href=4 door Maybe? 201610" />The 3.8 was a great engine. They were used for many years and improved occasionally. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:38 am

That is like the exact same color as the one I am looking at. He still hasn't given me a price yet. He is moving in a new trailer this weeks and has been ran to death with it. He had it setup yesterday late It took them all day to get it moved. Even had it slide over a bank and do some damage. I hope everything else goes smoothly for him. He has had a hard time. Prayers are appreciated. He has always been like a dad to me!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:19 am

Some nice 4-doors in those pics. I really like the '58 Poncho ! Very Happy  I had a '67 Bonneville 4-door hardtop for a while, and wish I still had it.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:24 am

pila wrote:Some nice 4-doors in those pics.  I really like the '58 Poncho ! Very Happy   I had a '67 Bonneville 4-door hardtop for a while, and wish I still had it.
I love that 58. He has so much room in the trunk. I think a guy could get 5 bodies in there and still close the lid. He has full size coolers, easy ups lawn chairs, grill and grocery bags to boot when we go some where. All my cars have smaller trunks. Love my brother and his car.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:11 pm

I had a '57 2-door hardtop many years ago, but liked the '58 better !  I owned a lot of Pontiacs, and bought a '59 new, and a '66 Tempest Sprint new, with the OHC 6 banger.

The Buick designed 3.8 V6 was changed a lot when the bigger cars like the Park Avenue, Bonneville etc were built. The newer versions don't have any interchangable parts with the old designs. My wife has a Park Avenue with the supercharged 3.8, and it has lots of power for a small engine. It will light up the front tires if I lean on it a bit:D 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:29 am

Good news. Talked to my uncle last night and he told me that I could have the car if I would pay the transfer.

Maybe gonna test drive it tonight see if it still runs as well as it did when it was parked. If so I will own a 74 and an 82 Malibu.

The latter of the 2 will have much better gas mileage. That's the main reason I want it.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:50 am

The 4 door is now a reality.

Ok, well I went out and got the Malibu started yesterday. I found out that the car had been sitting since 2003. It had been started one time since. It has really went down over the years. A lot of surface rust and few rust holes here and there. There is a dent in the top, trunk and hood. Tires are rotted bad. The windsheild had broke at some point. and there is a leak in the front. The carpet was damp and molded in a couple spots. The dash was cracked and gaped badly. Steering wheel melted and sticky.

Other than all of this after cleaning a swarm of dirt dobbers nests, priming the card and jumping the battery it fired on the first try. It took a bit to pull up the fuel, but it ran. I drove it out the road and back. It was about two quarts low on trans fluid and it still locked in gear and shifted perfectly.

I think he told me that the engine was rebuilt and bored 40 over on the 3.8. It originally had a lock up TH350 which was replaced with a non-lockup. I picked up a few things for it yesterday. A wire brush, some primer and fabric/vinyl die. (Don't think the dye will work well. But worth a try before I rip stuff out.)

New goals.

New tires on the Centerline Rims that I have. Upping to 15's.
New windsheild.
New steering wheel.

Clean inside and out.
Remove and repair and visible rust.
possible dye the carpet and seats.Maybe paint some trim.

License, Insure, and Drive It...
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:59 pm

I hope you are not allergic to mold like I am. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:19 am

Don't think I am. Does it make u sneeze?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:24 am

I get bronchitis from it and cough like crazy. My sinuses get infected also. Every year the mold on fallen tree leaves really sock it to me. I get sick every year about this time until we get several weeks or so of hard freezing weather. I get to the point that I dread Thanksgiving and Christmas because I know I will be sick. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:15 am

It will probably hit me hard then cause I have very bad allergies.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:37 am

driveit wrote:It will probably hit me hard then cause I have very bad allergies.  
You must live in Kentucky, LOL. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:15 am

sher nuf.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:57 am

Took my wife out to see that car. She hates it. Tried to talk me out of it the whole way home. She just doesn't want another project. She wants something that I can just drive and not have to put any money into. To drive it I think that it just needs tires and a windshield.

Anyone know if a 78 Cutlass windshield is the same as an 82 Malibu?

My uncle has the 78. It has bucket seats floor shift and a console.Rough car, but has some good parts.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:34 am

driveit wrote:Took my wife out to see that car. She hates it. Tried to talk me out of it the whole way home. She just doesn't want another project. She wants something that I can just drive and not have to put any money into.
She needs to understand that a guy who's into cars will always put money into his car.  It's not optional.  It's not about have to, its about want to. Trying to get you to stop will only be detrimental to the relationship.  Same as if you tried to make her stop buying shoes (or whatever she's into).  It'll only cause fights and resentment.

That said, you still have to regulate and not go overboard on either side.  Gotta find a happy medium somewhere, so don't take on too many projects.  My wife and I have a simple arrangement -- as much as she spends on purses and shoes, I get to spend on the car. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:13 am

thatfnthing wrote:
driveit wrote:Took my wife out to see that car. She hates it. Tried to talk me out of it the whole way home. She just doesn't want another project. She wants something that I can just drive and not have to put any money into.
She needs to understand that a guy who's into cars will always put money into his car.  It's not optional.  It's not about have to, its about want to.  Trying to get you to stop will only be detrimental to the relationship.  Same as if you tried to make her stop buying shoes (or whatever she's into).  It'll only cause fights and resentment.

That said, you still have to regulate and not go overboard on either side.  Gotta find a happy medium somewhere, so don't take on too many projects.  My wife and I have a simple arrangement -- as much as she spends on purses and shoes, I get to spend on the car. Smile

My Wife is really good about it. She only has one "rule" I can get another project until I have the one I'm working on done. Its not bad as I know a lot of guys that have so many projects they never have one done enough to drive. Then the cars just rot away. for me the pint is keeping them on the road not crushed.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:18 pm

Wallyuph wrote:
thatfnthing wrote:
She needs to understand that a guy who's into cars will always put money into his car.  It's not optional.  It's not about have to, its about want to.  Trying to get you to stop will only be detrimental to the relationship.  Same as if you tried to make her stop buying shoes (or whatever she's into).  It'll only cause fights and resentment.

My Wife is really good about it. She only has one "rule" I can get another project until I have the one I'm working on done. Its not bad as I know a lot of guys that have so many projects they never have one done enough to drive. Then the cars just rot away. for me the pint is keeping them on the road not crushed.
Exactly. If you're just collecting projects and they just sit around and rot (or worse, become money pits), she's kinda justified in being pissed. If you make progress on one and they don't just pile up, it's easier for her to buy in.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next