G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lets discuss optional accessories

+3
Allen_442
driveit
dynchel
7 posters

Go down

lets discuss optional accessories Empty lets discuss optional accessories

Post by Allen_442 Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:11 am

I would like to discuss options, I have a buick and a olds and I'm most formiliar with olds. What are the hardest to find options, what have you seen. For a oldsmobile the most difficult options for me to find have been passenger remote mirror.and the optional trip meter offered in 77. I have yet.to find the twlight sentinel that was offered in 76 and the tempmatic ac which I've seen in a few.cars. I'm hoping I can find out a.little more about everything else. Maybe even more about oldsmobile. For the passenger remote mirror.I've seen them in chevys, one pontiac, and a oldsmobile. But I've yet to.see one in a buick.
Allen_442
Allen_442
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

lets discuss optional accessories Empty Re: lets discuss optional accessories

Post by dynchel Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:01 am

I think one of the rarest things to find on any g3 is a factory sky roof.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:30 am

I would just like mine to have AC and a clock. I have a spot for a clock, but its just a blank simulated one with not mech.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:24 am

driveit wrote:I would just like mine to have AC and a clock.  I have a spot for a clock, but its just a blank simulated one with not mech.
Look on eBay, there are new and reconditioned clock mechanism's on there all the time.  $50.00 seems to be the standard going rate.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:02 pm

key in 74 chevelle clock in eBay motors, there are two reconditioned ones right now for $79.95.  i'm at work so i can't post a link.  sorry Mad
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Hell, if you're serious about one, think I've still got a "reconditioned" one I'd sell for $40 (plus shipping). By "reconditioned", I mean it's been lubricated and tested to make sure it runs. Can't guarantee it's accuracy as they never seemed to keep accurate time.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:10 pm

I actually have one in my 75 snake pit parts car, but I don't know if it works either. I just think that it is funny that they put in a blank like that. Could have made it a storage area or anything other than that. Seems like that was not very well though out.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:15 pm

If you pull the parts car clock, you'll have about a 50/50 chance of getting it to work again. I've pulled dozens off these "A" bodies and about half the time, the inner works just need to be lubricated.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen_442 Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:17 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:If you pull the parts car clock, you'll have about a 50/50 chance of getting it to work again. I've pulled dozens off these "A" bodies and about half the time, the inner works just need to be lubricated.
Good to know I replaced.the clock in my buick and it.only works.if you tap it, then it quits.
Allen_442
Allen_442
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:03 pm

If your Buick's replacement clock is of the original style works (not converted to digital), I'd bet it simply needs to be lubricated. Sounds like what is happening is that it's still partially wound, but gears are sticky and only move when you tap it. Hopefully, when it unwinds completely, the resulting spark used to rewind it (think in terms of how distributor points work) will at least prove the coils are working and not burned out.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaunaconda Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:30 pm

How about for the round rally clocks? Both mine don't work. Is it the mechanism too. Maybe just needs lube?
Shaunaconda
Shaunaconda
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:57 am

I seem to remember that some outfits are replacing the old electric wind-up guts with a quartz electric movement in the old clocks.  At least they would keep time then. I've had a lot of cars with clocks the would speed up in summer, and lose time in winter...absolutely worthless as a time piece.
 The rectangular clocks in my Malibu and El Camino are replaced with a triple gauge unit, so at least the space has something useful in it.

lets discuss optional accessories P1011277_zpsf8dcbe99

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:36 am

Shaunaconda wrote:How about for the round rally clocks? Both mine don't work. Is it the mechanism too. Maybe just needs lube?

Same situation with the round clocks. Mechanisms inside are pretty much the same. Unfortunately, I can't tell you why yours aren't working without inspecting the insides. If you want to pull one or both out, I'd walk you through disassembly and inspection.

And yes...there are people who can do a quartz conversion. Accurate or not, I just like having the original tic-tic-tic of the second hand.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

lets discuss optional accessories Empty Re: let's discuss optional accessories

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Just found a '77 G.P. with automatic climate control. First one of those I've seen on any of these era GM "A" bodies aside from a couple Tempmatics on the Cutlasses.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:46 pm

I've reoiled 4 of the clocks I've found, and all but one worked with some work, the one had a coil that smoked when I applied power.

I did learn this, they will keep somewhat accurate time if you reset them every couple days, and don't let them sit for too long after you disconnect the battery, it'll stop running then. If the mechanical speed control is sticking it'll be difficult to get it to be accurate(ish)

Mine will be accurate within 5 minutes for a month, and then start drifiting.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down