It now begins. I bought a block for the malibu. 383 time.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

It now begins. I bought a block for the malibu. 383 time.

Post by bracketchev1221 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:51 am

As with many other things boredom is not good for me. I was looking on Craigslist and just started punching things in. I was looking for a 454 block to build an engine for a 69 camaro drag car, and said waht about 350 blocks. Well, I found a standard, 4 bolt main 350, casting 3970010 block for $125. So it looks like after I sell my Nova, I will begin building a 383 for the Malibu. I am not so interested in HP on this one, and will be looking for a much stricter budget than my Nova 355. I am looking to do a cast crank, possibly hypereutectic piston motor, over the forged Eagle Crank, SRP piston 355 in the Nova. I am also considering keeping compression under 10:1 and using a steel head. We will see there. It will have a hydraulic roller, that I am sure of. I do not want to deal with a flat lobe. Possibly the same cam I have in the nova, .535/.550 lift 231/239 @.050. It works well in the Nova, and will be tamer with 30 more inches. I don't think this 383 will make the same power as the 540 in the Chevelle though.  Very Happy 
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: It now begins. I bought a block for the malibu. 383 time.

Post by Limey SE on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:16 pm

Will be watching this Topic to see how it comes along
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by pila on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:00 am

Sounds like a fun project Ray ! The 383 seems to be the best of two worlds.....long stroke, 350 block, without siamesed cylinders !
Lots of folks in the El Camino community seem to going the 383 route.

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:48 am

Thats what I thought too. Being that the parts are so easily available, I figured why not? I will use an Eagle or Scat cast crank, since back when these first became popular the only way to do it was with a stock 400 cast crank. I will use a set of Scat I beam rods just because by the time I get a set of rods and resize them and change bolts, they are still old. Pistons, I have decided on a Speed Pro forged piston. Not too expensive, but reliable. As far as piston design, that is still up in the air. There are 2 pistons, a flat top 2 valve relief and a dish piston. Depending on which head I want to go with will decide piston. I can go with a flat top piston and like a 70-72 cc head and be 10.1:1 compression, or I can use a dish and a 64cc head and get to 9.9:1 compression. I am not sure steel or aluminum heads, probably a 180 cc intake head for low end torque. I am ok if this engine dies by 6000. The cost between the steel and iron is pretty comparable maybe $200 difference. So I am keeping weight as a factor since these cars are heavy enough as it is. The rest of the engine, will model the Nova. I am thinking this cam kit, Lunati 20120712LK, a set of roller rockers, and a perfromer rpm intake, possibly the air gap. This engine will use a reliable 750 vac secondary carb as well. Then a 2400 converter, and 3.42 gears to round it out.
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:43 am

So Bracket with my Build would I better off to keep the air gap manifold I have ?
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:51 pm

I like the performer RPM manifolds. A dual plane is a big help on a heavy car. I don't see the air gap being DRASTICALLY better over the regular RPM manifold. If you have a performer rpm dual plane manifold with the air gap option, there is no reason to change it. I had the plain RPM manifold on my Nova, so I didn't change that one either.
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:12 pm

this is What it is Bracket

Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:16 pm

that looks like a single plane manifold.
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Yes. That looks like a single plane. Unless your going to be screaming your motor your better off with a dual plane. Dual planes start making power at a.much lower rpm which js what your going to want.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:27 pm

It is Boss that's why I was asking him if its a good idea to keep it or not ?
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:47 am

Limey wrote:It is Boss that's why I was asking him if its a good idea to keep it or not ?

I would have to agree with Joe, from the picture I am guessing a victor jr or a strip dominator?  In the rpm range you are looking at, you would lose no peak power and gain bottom end torque if you swapped to a dual plane manifold.  

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7501/overview/make/chevrolet

This one gives you the best of both.  

Here is the Summit version.  

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-226010/overview/make/chevrolet
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:51 am

bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:59 am

Looks like a good parts selection Ray. Very Happy 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:35 am

Thanks. I want to use stock 5.7" rods and a cast crank, but it is more cost effective to do this. By the time I find 8 rods, have them magnafluxed, resize them and put new rod bolts, it is close to the same cost, and who knows how many 1000's of cycles have been put on the rods. Same for the crank. Check for cracks, cut and polish adds up to what I can get the new Scat for. And to be clear here, I have no loyalty to Scat or Eagle. Either is fine. This was based on cost. I run Eagle cranks in both the Nova and the Chevelle. Eagle H beam rods in the Chevelle, and Scat I beam Pro Comp rods in the Nova. With that out of the way, the pistons were next. I am just stuck on using forged pistons. Its all I use in my performance engines. Trying to knock it down a bit, I stuck with the old tried and true, Speed Pro forged pistons. My thought is with these pistons and a 70-72cc aluminum head, it will get me in the low 10:1 compression range. The heads are not going to be radical. They are going to be like a Dart SHP head, or the Performer RPM head. No AFR, or Dart Pro 1 heads. I am still kicking around 180-200 cc.
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:25 pm

Thats basically the way I'm going. I have the complete bottom end sitting here waiting for assembly. Scat crank, scat rods, Probe Forged pistons, King racing bearings (crank, rods, cam), Hastings rings, 8" harmonic, flywheel (its a 4spd.). My rotating assembly has been balanced. Bought the kit from skip white performace. Its very similiar to this kit with some upgrades. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-350-360-CHEVY-ROTATING-ASSY-FORGED-PISTONS-4-060-BORE-2PC-RMS-/221173419325?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337ef68d3d

Only thing I was leary about were the Probe pistons. Since I've always installed TRW or speed pros. But after 3 days on the computer researching them, I decided they were worth it. The came in the mail and they look real nice. So I'm happy with them so far. Heck, I removed some no name CAST 11.1 pistons out of my engine and she ran 13's in the car for a long time. So these should be even better.
I will be running 64 cc aluminum heads and 292 cam. Final compression ratio should be at 10.3:1.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Is that a 355 or 383 you are building? I'm guessing 355. That was the compression I got with my 355 and 65 cc heads and an srp 2 valve relief flat top piston.
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:51 pm

Yes. It will be a 355.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:23 pm

Is that the 292h comp cam magnum that you are using? That should be pretty choppy with 244 @.050.
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:39 pm

Yep. Comp cams 292 magnum. I have a brand new victor jr. For it but i now have an edelbrock rpm air gap that im going to use. The victor makes power 3500-8000 and usually a little lower from what ive seen. But the air gap beats it out pretty much throughout the rpm band until you get the victorover 5k. So i tbink the air gap will be better on the street.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:42 pm

I used an Air Gap for a while. The carb is so far from the manifold it took forever to get warm.I replaced it with a perfomer rpm. Dont really notice any difference and it runs better cold.
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:14 am

And i never run a choke. Even with my weiand 7546 single plane. I just hold the idle up for about 30 seconds and she' ll keep running fine. I do have the electric choke for my mew 750 but i took it off.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:17 am

I think the 383 is getting an 80508 750 vac secondary carb. They are just so bulletproof. I actually wish I kept the one that was on the nova. I sold it it for a whopping $125 and it ran perfect.
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:20 am

Mine is a 750 vac. Secondary as well. I rebuilt mine and installed a quick change spring kit. My d setup was a 650 double pumper mechanical. Real nice with my 4 spd but i needed bigger.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:34 pm

ant7377 wrote:I used an Air Gap for a while. The carb is so far from the manifold it took forever to get warm.I replaced it with a perfomer rpm. Dont really notice any difference and it runs better cold.

I agree, I don't think you will see a power difference between the 2. I have a basic Performer PRM on my Nova. I did not see it worth swapping for the air gap. Maybe on a dyno, you may see 5-10 hp, but in a 4000 lbs car, that is like running with the gas tank half full.
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:21 pm

This is an interesting video.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2DvnoHWagk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Right around 3:48 to 3:58 you can pause the video and check out the dyno numbers. That air gap has a nice "fat" mid range all the way to peak power. It more power (not by much) than the victor jr. but its consistent throughout the power band. Thats what sold me on it for a street/strip car.

I also like the dual because it keeps the fuel air velocity up in the runners.  And dual plane should make slightly more vacuum for the brakes.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum