G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It now begins. I bought a block for the malibu. 383 time.

+2
Limey SE
dynchel
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

It now begins.  I bought a block for the malibu.  383 time. - Page 2 Empty Re: It now begins. I bought a block for the malibu. 383 time.

Post by pila Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:23 pm

I had a spare new 3310 Holley vac secondary carb in the box,, which I sold last year for 175 bucks.  No future need for it. I advertised it on the El Camino forum, but no takers..
I have one on the 408 that's now in the Malibu, with the usual tweaks, Trick kit etc, and it has run since the late 80s with no problems. Manifold is a dual plane Weiand 8004.
 Can't say that about a lot of carbs these days it seems...

You gonna have enough vacuum for brakes with that 292 Magnum cam Joe ??

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

It now begins.  I bought a block for the malibu.  383 time. - Page 2 Empty Re: It now begins. I bought a block for the malibu. 383 time.

Post by Joe73 Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:01 pm

I think I will especially since my idle is normally higher with the 4spd. Stock idle for the car is 900 rpm. I have installed the 292 in other stick cars years ago with no brake vaccum problems. I even helped a buddy put the comp cams 305 duration stick in his standard bore 350 and he did not have any brake vacuum problems and he did have a small 8" booster. Either way, I really dont have any problem with putting in a vacuum can. There's really nothing under my hood, no power steering, no a/c, no battery, lots of room under there.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:32 pm

I think joe will be fine with that cam. It may fade a bit in stop and go traffic but like he said the stick allows a higher idle all the time. I had my 78 with a 355 and a 250/260 @.050 cam in it and it drove fine. It idled at 1000. My nova is smaller at 231/239 and I idle it at 850 with power brakes.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:41 am

I have the 280 Magnum cam in the 400 ( 408 now) and I've been happy with it for years, and even replaced it with another one at last rebuild.  Seems to have plenty of vacuum...

I still have the original numbers engine for my Malibu, a 350 with a 2 bbl 2GC and point ignition.  I plan on rebuilding it ( it needs it ) but not using much above a stock cam.   Had good luck with the Comp Cam 252H cams as replacements, even in boats.

The 408 will find another home later.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:05 am

pila wrote:I have the 280 Magnum cam in the 400 ( 408 now) and I've been happy with it for years, and even replaced it with another one at last rebuild.  Seems to have plenty of vacuum...

I still have the original numbers engine for my Malibu, a 350 with a 2 bbl 2GC and point ignition.  I plan on rebuilding it ( it needs it ) but not using much above a stock cam.   Had good luck with the Comp Cam 252H cams as replacements, even in boats.

The 408 will find another home later.

I agree, I had a 280 magnum in my stock rebuild 406 in my 79 that I had. When cold it had a lope to it, but otherwise it was mild. My mom even drove the car several times without issue. That car went 13.60's in the 1/4 too.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2