G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus

+9
Limey SE
Wallyuph
driveit
77mali
thatfnthing
dynchel
Tom77
pila
1973montec
13 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 Empty Re: 1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus

Post by switchbiker Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:31 am

I've been gone for a few weeks but still plugging along on this car. This whoa nelly costs a lot of money so it takes a little time to recover from large purchases. Here's the most recent from last week and another $600

I purchased a Saginaw Type II power steering pump. I've been reading up on these lately and apparently they have a considerable reduction in parasitic losses in mid-high RPM ranges compared to the canister style (old) pump.

Pump
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 IMG_20150212_000537

Summit Correct-Align bracket
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 IMG_20150212_001149

6 rib pulley
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 IMG_20150212_000831

Summit steel braided power steering lines
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 IMG_20150212_000927

Summit remote reservoir
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 IMG_20150212_001046

Also, here is some pictures of my spindles and brakes

CPP C-5 style spindles
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 FB_IMG_1419210416847

Baer 14" Drilled/slotted discs + 6 piston calipers mounted
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 IMG_20150212_001258

Compared to stock 11" discs
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 20141220_190741

I still have a hefty wish list, but I do not want to compromise, even if it takes me another 2 years to complete. So far I've been fortunate to have overtime available at work, which funds the purchases, but sometimes it's hard to balance working enough to afford it and coming home enough to enjoy it. bounce I realy wanted to start taking it out to some Autocross events this year but the sad reality is I may not. The only way that will happen is if I run the current engine/trans. The current engine has weak compression, if I can revive it cheap with a hone and some fresh rings/pistons. If not, I will just wait until I can get the next engine/trans in place (still undecided on what engine configuration I'm going to go with). I'll either go with the LS376/525 or build my dream engine, the 406 in the corner of my garage with twin turbos, EFI, computer controlled ignition, and E85 sensing.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:02 am

Thats some real nice stuff.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:07 am

Coming along very Nice sir Very nice indeed !
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:46 pm

Thanks Limey & Joe73. Somehow these positive responses make me feel less crazy for dishing out cubic dollars on this thing. Wink
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:38 pm

Really nice and you will be very happy you are doing it right the first time around. I have had 3 engines and 4 transmission in my car so I know the feeling. It adds up really fast for the cost but when driving it its priceless!!!!!!!!!
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:24 pm

My new transmission is ready for pickup!! will post pics once I get home.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:07 pm

Ok, so I went to the "toy-store" today, Summit Racing in Sparks, Nevada and spent a load of cash. I'll have some un-boxed photo's soon, the last episode of Gold-Rush is coming on and I don't want to miss it. Smile

Lakewood steel scattershield
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 IMG_20150313_183148
CenterForce Clutch 11"
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 20150313_183357
Hays billet steel 25lb flywheel
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 20150313_183409
American Powertrain Hydraulic clutch kit
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 IMG_20150313_183248
American Powertrain T-56 Magnum 6 speed transmission
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 20150313_183425
Pile of parts
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus - Page 4 20150313_183457
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:21 pm

NICE is all I can say ??
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:59 am

Just wondering on the centerforce pressure plate.  Any opinion on snipping the wire and slide off the weights?   I'm leaning towards that but I still might go with a Ram.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:06 am

Centerforce advises against cutting the weights, since the spring and weights were designed and tuned to provide an increasing clamping force as rpm increases.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:43 am

I like the idea of the extra clamping force but I became concerned after reading the numerous problems with the weights "recentering" themselves.

Seems that alot (like dozens) of people have experienced that after some heat cycles and dirt buildup the weights dont slide as they should. The weights and wire remain "off center" or dont fully return. People then have had issues with squealing noise at idle or an annoying vibration throughout the rpm range.
Quite a few good pics on the net of what the weights look like and how off center they become.
I've also read that centerforce had been contacted and they have know knowledge of any issues.
Owners who have had these issues still love the clutch and have remedied the squeal and vibration by snipping the wire and removing the weights. I've also read a procedure that allows removal of the wire and weights without removing the trans. But that seemed vehicle specific.
The clutch is highly rated, but some have just removed the wire and weights prior to installation which is what I'm considering.
I was just asking because I found this info just a couple months ago when I was researching what clutch I'll be using in my chevelle.

Pretty sure the google search I did was "centerforce weight problem" if you want to take a look.

Just a thought. Good luck with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wunderlich_33 Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:23 pm

I'm jealous.
like alot of the cars on here she is gorgeous and it seems like you have a solid idea in what direction your going with the car, i cant seem to decide.
but i love the look, the paint scheme suits it beautifully.

where did you get your cowl induction hood? is it fiberglass or did you stay with metal?
wunderlich_33
wunderlich_33
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:07 am

Thanks wunderlich_33! The hood is fiberglass, bolt on style. I don't recall the manufacturer name atm. The glass hood will be replaced with carbon fiber, along with the front fenders and likely the heavy neoprene front bumper skin. Maybe not so street after that, but that's fine. I'm going for a crusty pro touring look, I plan to keep the matte olive green paint but there will be much more going into the car, chassis, interior. Time money and more time. I don't have buddies who'll hang out and give me a hand, so progress is at a one man pace.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wunderlich_33 Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:47 am

Carbon fiber.... yikes. that's wont be cheap. lol
I want to avoid fiberglass if I can, never really trusted it.

yeah see ive been debating between trying to achieve a pro touring look and an old school tilted muscle look. I like the lower look ( not low rider ), but at the same time as I read, you seem to be really fighting with getting that turning radius in.
but I still love seeing an A$$ end up in the air to, just has a meanness to it.

see timei have, that's no issue. money and tools is my problem. and like you I have very very few car buddies, so its slow going. but joining this site sure helps, atleast for discussion and diagnosis and getting some damn good ideas.
wunderlich_33
wunderlich_33
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:49 am

wunderlich_33 wrote:Carbon fiber.... yikes. that's wont be cheap. lol
I want to avoid fiberglass if I can, never really trusted it.
I'll be saving some money by molding the parts myself, but still, raw materials cost is still on the high side. I might even make some "extras" to sell and recoup some of the expense. Of course, those things are on the plan for next year. (id like to have everything done by the 3 year mark, Dec. 16')

wunderlich_33 wrote:..........you seem to be really fighting with getting that turning radius in.

I don't understand? turning radius hasn't changed, but the geometry of the front suspension has changed so I'll have better camber curve through the suspension cycle and more range for caster adjustments, and big fat sway bars to keep the body roll down and the tires digging in.

wunderlich_33 wrote:see timei have, that's no issue. money and tools is my problem. and like you I have very very few car buddies, so its slow going. but joining this site sure helps, atleast for discussion and diagnosis and getting some damn good ideas.
lol, I think we all have money problems, just a matter of how many other things are you willing to sacrifice. I can't normally afford half the things I've bought for this build, hoiwever I've sacrificed much time doing overtime and odd jobs so I could. This car will probably be the last car I build and I have a deep desire to make it exactly how I've dreamed. Life is short, I just want to have as much fun as I can while I'm alive.[/quote]
[/quote]
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wunderlich_33 Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:34 pm

By fighting with the turning radius I mean turning and hitting the fender with the tire.
I don't know much about suspensions but from what I picture the higher in the wheel well you are the less youll be able to turn the wheel before the tire touches because your closer to the diameter of the tire. so id imagine that would bring down your turning radius.

wunderlich_33
wunderlich_33
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:58 pm

ok, I gotcha. I have plans to remedy tire rub by slightly bulging the fenders out, it will be the absolute minimum I can get to clear tire at full lock. I definatly don't want some crazy fender flares or anytHong overkill on the bodywork. Of course the rears will be massaged also to match the front.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:40 pm

switchbiker wrote:ok, I gotcha. I have plans to remedy tire rub by slightly bulging the fenders out, it will be the absolute minimum I can get to clear tire at full lock. I definatly don't want some crazy fender flares or anytHong overkill on the bodywork. Of course the rears will be massaged also to match the front.

Think it will clear if the tires were shorter? Im planning on doing something similar with mine but with a 1.5" shorter tire (285/40/18)
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:03 pm

they might be 1.5" shorter diameter but the your only losing .75" off the radius, not really that much. I'd guess you will have some interference at full lock full suspension compression, although you might be able to clear most of it by cutting or rolling your fender flanges. If you cut them be aware of sharp edges that could cut the ture I'd it hits.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4