G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel guage moves when turn signals are on

4 posters

Go down

Fuel guage moves when turn signals are on Empty Fuel guage moves when turn signals are on

Post by redrider Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:21 am

I have been noticing on my 74 Chevelle the fuel guage starts to move towards empty and beyond when I am using the turn signals. Anyone have an idea where to start looking?
redrider
redrider
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Fuel guage moves when turn signals are on Empty Re: Fuel guage moves when turn signals are on

Post by SSTOOLMAN Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:19 am

I had a 68 Camaro that did the same thing it was a short in the circuit board in between the blinker light and fuel gauge, what its doing is sending 12 volts to the gauge every time it blinks. It could be in the plug but more likely somewhere on the circuit board, pull the cluster and check for a burned
spot. You can get a new one for about $75.
Easy to install.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Fuel guage moves when turn signals are on Empty Re: Fuel guage moves when turn signals are on

Post by thatfnthing Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Usually the problem doesn't start there, though.  Electricity is like water: it will always take the easiest path -- i.e. shortest path back to ground.  Usually a bad ground forces (or a short allows) the electricity to flow where it isn't supposed to, in this case through the fuel gauge sender ground when you operate the turn signals.  So I would also look for a bad ground in the turn signal circuit, or you can probably expect to be revisiting this again when it burns out your next printed circuit.  It's certainly possible it's all the printed circuit's fault after 40 years, but bad grounds elsewhere happen a LOT more frequently.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Two great answers so far, check those things for sure, agree about the grounds, check the ground at the gas tank and where the sender wire plug is by the filler neck. Those gas tank grounds were always bad(unfortunately the wire is ontop of the pickup-should be access hole thru trunk, sender wire clips to rear body)
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down