G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painting fuel tank

+3
dynchel
thatfnthing
Joe73
7 posters

Go down

Painting fuel tank Empty Painting fuel tank

Post by Wallyuph Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:41 am

I have some major upgrades coming to my 73. I just purchased a new fuel tank. Was surprised how it was shipped but only went from IL to MN so it made it fine.
Painting fuel tank <a href=Painting fuel tank Fuel_t10" />
Painting fuel tank <a href=Painting fuel tank Fuel_t11" />

I'll be installing a electric fuel pump set up in the tank. http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/stealth-fuel-systems/18688-phantom-340-stealth-fuel-system/

My question's are?

1) What are the rest of you using for paint on the tank. On my 56 Chevy I just sold I undercoated the tank and that was all. I had a bad O ring and the tank leaked so had to pull it down and what a mess the undercoating made as the fuel ate the undercoating?  

2) Are you painting with the sending unit/fuel pump all mounted in the tank or are you painting tank then installing the sending unit/fuel pump?

Thanks Wally
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Painting fuel tank Empty Re: Painting fuel tank

Post by thatfnthing Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:05 pm

Mine came from Rock Valley already assembled with pump, baffling, and sender.  I just masked everything well, sanded it, wiped it down with alcohol, and hit it with a couple cans of Rustoleum texture black.  Still looks the same after 5 years.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:08 pm

You could have it powder coated, that would be really durable.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:27 pm

I was thinking of using the Valspar Low gloss black implement paint I have used for my under hood painting.
Painting fuel tank <a href=Painting fuel tank Valspa11" />

Its has held up well for all my projects I have done.

Just wanted to know what other have done.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:41 pm

That may not stick well to unprepared galvanize steel.thats a really low line of Valspar paints, there is virtually no UV protection. For a gas tank, that's not a huge deal. If you have the paint already I'd say go ahead and use it.
Make sure you wash down the tank really well with some wax and grease remover, then you can sand it with some 180-220 paper, use some etching primer then spray your valspar

Last edited by chevellelaguna on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:45 pm

The gas tank is galvanized. So to make paint stick for a long time it needs to be etched. The etching material for galvanize is phosphoric acid, which is basically Rust-Mort from an auto body supply place. That eats into the galvanize (which is zinc) and then you can prime over it.
You can also take a chance with a spray can of epoxy primer or even etching primer. Then paint it with what you want.
Take a look at eastwoods site. They have lots of good gas tank coatings.
I'd like the look of clear on it so it would look brand new all the time.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:52 pm

chevellelaguna wrote:there is virtually no UV protection.

That seems surprising -- it says 'fade resistant' on the can, so I would expect some level of UV protection.  Especially if it's intended for farm equipment and such that would see a lot of sunshine...

Also, is that tank galvanized?  I don't recall ever seeing zinc look so shiny.   scratch
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:04 pm

Like I said, it's their lowest line of paint, that's why it's cheap. It has the lowest quality chemical make up, and pigments. That's why they can sell it for $39 a gallon. Be careful if phosphoric acid type, and zinc phosphate etches, some rattle can primers will react to that stuff. Better off with just a rattle can of primer designed to work under your valspar paint ( they have that in the same isle).
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:33 pm

Advance Auto has self-etching primer in spray cans, if you are concerned about paint sticking.
I painted mine with Rustoleum primer and semi-gloss paint. Seems like any paint on a tank is a good thing.
And while the tank is out is a good time to paint the under-body aboe where the tank is mounted.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:42 pm

Mine is painted with ace hardware satin black. When I got the car it was really half a$$ painted blue with the straps badly painted white. If it was done nicely it may have looked OK.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:33 pm

I ordered out some self etch primer. I plan to wax and grease remove the tank, Then scuff with maroon scuff pad. Wax and grease remove again then self etch prime then paint with the Valspar paint. I'm waiting for fuel pump and its back ordered tell 27th so will be waiting for parts.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:11 pm

That's going to look awesome, best of all it'll last too. Have to do mine ( one of many things to do) just not sure what color to paint it!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:45 pm

wonder how well that aeromotive stealth retrofit pump is gonna work?

Painting fuel tank SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:51 pm

Here's my Elco tank, with the new sender in it.  Senders for G3 Elcos are like hens teeth, unavailable from what I know.

Painting fuel tank P1010842_zps007a1dde

Painting fuel tank P1010836_zps6df20d68

Also, I never did find new straps for it, so I bought Chevelle straps and added length to them in the center.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:19 am

BlackChevelleSS wrote:wonder how well that aeromotive stealth retrofit pump is gonna work?

A friend of mine has one installed in his 37 chev project It not up and running yet but he said they have them in his bosses race car tanks and they love them. I bought a new tank for my 56 chevy with electric fuel pump in it. The pump died two days after being installed and no baffles in tank so you better have at least a 1/4 tank or you may suck up air on a clover leaf ramp. The Aeromotive is supposed to be better for retrofit. I only need the fuel gauge sender so plan to cut back the stock tubes and cap them and install Stealth pump next to stock unit at front of tank.

I got my straps from here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1977-MALIBU-MONTE-CARLO-CUTLASS-LEMANS-GAS-FUEL-TANK-STRAPS-PAIR-ST39-/271263546696?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f28913d48&vxp=mtr
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:40 pm

My tank came from The Parts Place...199 bucks. The new windshield was cheaper..,.179 bucks !

The tank is a Spectra product.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:11 am

The baffling is what im afraid of. I didnt see much baffling that came with the kit and I know my bbc is fuel hungry. Im running a mallory comp 140 pump, 3/8 fuel line and a sumped tank with -10an to pump and I can dry my bowls out at the 1000ft. so Im looking for a new system and would like to eventually go fuel injected

Painting fuel tank SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:38 am

I'm going fuel injected New 6.0 engine is on its way with 4L60E trans I saw this set up at Sema show and it looked great plus it's a retro fit into any tank. The return line also dumps back on top of the pump to help not starve for fuel.

Tanks was 204.88 shipped to my place.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Muscle car TV installed that same stealth fuel system into a car they were working on. Worked really well, easy install too. Like the video says, they solved the problem of needing a custom tank for EFI applications.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Being able to buy a tank already set up will save a lot of work...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down