G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What rear control arms are people using?

+10
thatfnthing
Joe73
Hawk03
Colonnade Mattie
pila
oldstofty
ant7377
BK-75
Wallyuph
chevellelaguna
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What rear control arms are people using? - Page 2 Empty Re: What rear control arms are people using?

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:23 pm

That is what these cars are famous for. The suspension wants to plant the driver side rear and lift the passenger rear. So you get the body roll and the car drives to the right when it leaves the line.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

What rear control arms are people using? - Page 2 Empty Re: What rear control arms are people using?

Post by thatfnthing Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:24 pm

StockEliminator wrote:I might be a bit late for the party,

You're never too late for the party, dude. Nice car!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by StockEliminator Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:33 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:That is what these cars are famous for.  The suspension wants to plant the driver side rear and lift the passenger rear.  So you get the body roll and the car drives to the right when it leaves the line.  

Yep, that's true. I've also seen a '73 Chevelle doing twisting wheelstands here in Finland. It has a Big Block Chevy and lots of more HP than I do... If I remember correctly it ran high 8 second times. Here is a picture: http://kuvia.1g.fi/kuvat/Tapahtumat+2010/FHRA/KamasaToolsNats/Saturday/MOP_9809.jpg. Another thing that might help would be a full roll cage, as now I only have the six point roll bar (NHRA minimum is 5 point).

thatfnthing wrote:
StockEliminator wrote:I might be a bit late for the party,

You're never too late for the party, dude.  Nice car!

Thanks! That's a really neat car. It's a funny feeling when something as heavy as that leaves both front wheels in the air. Very Happy

Last edited by StockEliminator on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
StockEliminator
StockEliminator
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:34 pm

Back before the heavy anti roll bars were available for drag racing I actually put a stock rear sway bar back in my 70 to try to stop that.  It wasn't strong enough to eliminate it but it reduced it.  I ran 10.50's with it like that.  I have every intent to put a stock sway bar in the 76 to tie the rear bars together. A roll cage won't fix it. It's not body twist. It's all in the suspension. If you have a 6 point bar all frame welded that is all you need. The only thing I would do is tie the rear trunk bars to the top of the rear upper spring seat to stiffen that up.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:06 pm

In case you didn't know a impala SS bar is a stout 1 inch in diameter, plus a bolt on to boot.  Here is mine, plus it seems to work really well mounted to the top of the control arms (with relocation brackets)
What rear control arms are people using? - Page 2 IMG_20140529_172116888_zpsfoaf2vmy
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by StockEliminator Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:55 pm

Now I have ordered my sway bar. There's a shop that makes those and the one I ordered should be pretty strong. If everything goes as planned, I'll be able to test it on the next race in a couple of weeks.

bracketchev1221 wrote:  A roll cage won't fix it.  It's not body twist.  It's all in the suspension.  If you have a 6 point bar all frame welded that is all you need.  The only thing I would do is tie the rear trunk bars to the top of the rear upper spring seat to stiffen that up.  

I didn't know that, thanks for the information!  Very Happy  I guess I'll have to think about the cage anyway so that if I roll over the car will stay in better shape. But of course I'm not planning on rolling over. Laughing 

By the way what rear springs people are using? I believe mine are still original and I'd like to change them. I know the ones from '78-'82 Malibus are too short but how about the ones from '64 to '72? At least Moroso makes springs for that model. A friend has a '71 Chevelle in A/Stock and the springs look pretty much the same but will they actually fit? Or is there some other set of rear springs that would be good for Drag Racing use?
StockEliminator
StockEliminator
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:07 pm

I wouldn't look for more right now than a moog spring for it. Since you are putting in a race designed anti roll bar, you want equal spring rates. The moroso spring for the chevelles was a bandaid with the higher rate spring for the passenger spring to counteract the body roll. I have a part number at work for a 150ish lbs rear moog spring that I plan on using in my 76. I think stock is 125 lbs rate but that I think is too soft. I want to control the suspension a little.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BBMALIBU Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:05 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:Thanks guys.  I have seen them on eBay.  It helps hearing from people that used them.  The only other thing I want to use is the triangulation bar that goes from the upper to lower to stiffen it all.

DickMillerRacing makes this bar;

DMR-5029-A-R A must for any GM coil sprung performance car whether using
a DMR rear suspension system or stock. If your car hooks you will eventually
twist or break the frame crossmember that the rear end upper control arms are
fastened to. These bolt on support pieces will help eliminate this dangerous problem
by triangulating both corners of the crossmember.

DMR-5029-A-R: fits 73-77 GM intermediate including Cutlass & Chevelle.
BBMALIBU
BBMALIBU
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2