G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1976 Laguna master cylinder

5 posters

Go down

1976 Laguna master cylinder Empty 1976 Laguna master cylinder

Post by chevellelaguna Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:23 pm

I will have to replace my master cylinder, I had a generic replacement on there which worked great for years. However, it was cast iron, and looked crappy. Has anyone replaced theirs with a chrome or aluminum one? If so, then where did you purchase it?
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

1976 Laguna master cylinder Empty Re: 1976 Laguna master cylinder

Post by orange Juiced Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:06 pm

I got this one from them, car is still parked so i haven't actually used it yet. its not a direct fit, the mounting bracket is different.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-CHROME-GM-BRAKE-BOOSTER-PB011-10-YEAR-WARRANTY-/350474487427?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5199e84683
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:20 pm

There used to be (late '90's) a 11 second '74 Monte Carlo around that the owner had adapted a later model aluminum & plastic master cylinder.  I've asked here & at Chevy talk but never got any real feedback.  I even researched on Napa prolink to try to find something that would work, the closest thing was a '80 elcamino, but I didn't try it so I can't say weather or not it will work.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:36 pm

dynchel wrote:There used to be (late '90's) a 11 second '74 Monte Carlo around that the owner had adapted a later model aluminum & plastic master cylinder.  I've asked here & at Chevy talk but never got any real feedback.  I even researched on Napa prolink to try to find something that would work, the closest thing was a '80 elcamino, but I didn't try it so I can't say weather or not it will work.

You mean like this?

1976 Laguna master cylinder P6090610
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:46 pm

I've seen and read about the same thing, couldn't get exact spectra for interchange, that looks like an 81 and up master, used on G/P, caminos, malibus etc
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:49 pm

thatfnthing wrote:
dynchel wrote:There used to be (late '90's) a 11 second '74 Monte Carlo around that the owner had adapted a later model aluminum & plastic master cylinder.  I've asked here & at Chevy talk but never got any real feedback.  I even researched on Napa prolink to try to find something that would work, the closest thing was a '80 elcamino, but I didn't try it so I can't say weather or not it will work.

You mean like this?

Yeah, that be the one. happy bowtie 

1976 Laguna master cylinder P6090610
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:30 am

chevellelaguna wrote:I've seen and read about the same thing, couldn't get exact spectra for interchange, that looks like an 81 and up master, used on G/P, caminos, malibus etc

Mine's from a 92 or 93 Caprice, along with the entire ABS setup (though I originally started the ABS conversion with the stock G3 M/C and swapped it and the booster later).  The master cylinder and booster are a matched set, so you have to use both (the bore on the M/C is larger than the G3's) but you have to lengthen the pushrod that connects to the brake pedal by a couple inches.  It's also a good idea to use the combo valve that goes along with it and mounts directly beneath.  The M/C circuits (front vs. back) are reversed from the G3.  The whole assembly will mount to the G3 firewall bracket, though two holes will have to be enlarged slightly.  There's enough clearance to close the hood, but it will be tight.

Oh yeah, I will also say the new M/C only weighs barely 2 lbs, which is probably why drag racers like it.

Last edited by thatfnthing on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:16 am

I've got too many things to do on my 'Guna to reinvent the wheel with my booster/master cylinder setup. When I completely went thru my brakes, I replaced the m/c with a factory std cast iron one (always go with a new one and not a remanufactured) and painted it with Rustoleum to keep the rust at bay. Pulled and tested the original Booster, cleaned it up and painted it, also. Looks good and I'm on to the next item on the list.

Before:

1976 Laguna master cylinder 75lagu11

After:

1976 Laguna master cylinder 75lagu12
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:31 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:I've got too many things to do on my 'Guna to reinvent the wheel with my booster/master cylinder setup.  When I completely went thru my brakes, I replaced the m/c with a factory std cast iron one (always go with a new one and not a remanufactured) and painted it with Rustoleum to keep the rust at bay.  Pulled and tested the original Booster, cleaned it up and painted it, also.  Looks good and I'm on to the next item on the list.

That came out great!  Did you blast the pieces first, or just sand them? How's it holding up against rust since then?
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:10 pm

I was in the same line of thought, too much going on with the car at the moment just want to go with what I know will work, and look good. That gives me faith that even a cast iron m/c can look sharp! That may be they option for me.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:52 pm

The rusty master cylinder was the old one.  The new one was wiped down with degreaser and painted before installed.  Had to be careful to wipe any spilled brake fluid while bleeding/adding fluid to the system.  Booster was sanded, wire-wheeled (I swear I am responsible for half of Dremel's wire brush business here in Mpls.), primed and painted.  That was last summer and they still look the same.  Granted, I didn't drive it much before storing it for the winter.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:00 pm

Oh, sorry, I misread it -- I thought that was the same unit, and I thought, 'Damn, that looks brand new!'
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down