G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stacked to Round headlights and Shaving Hood Ornament

+11
DaveFury
JKK
chevellelaguna
77camino
Dinomyte
76 Malibu
77cruiser
Limey SE
dynchel
Tom77
Laguna Budman
15 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stacked to Round headlights and Shaving Hood Ornament - Page 2 Empty Re: Stacked to Round headlights and Shaving Hood Ornament

Post by dynchel Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:42 pm

Stacked to Round headlights and Shaving Hood Ornament - Page 2 IMG_20150806_081502_zpsjpnspe0i
Same look I have, except mine is a '74 with a '76 classic grille.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Stacked to Round headlights and Shaving Hood Ornament - Page 2 Empty Re: Stacked to Round headlights and Shaving Hood Ornament

Post by Limey SE Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:43 pm

How good is the Chrome on that Hood Ornament I have inserts to put back on it ?
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:10 am

very nice.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:11 am

dynchel wrote:Stacked to Round headlights and Shaving Hood Ornament - Page 2 IMG_20150806_081502_zpsjpnspe0i
Same look I have, except mine is a '74 with a '76 classic grille.

Very nice car!! I didn't know what the cross hatched grille would look like blacked out, but seeing it now on your car looks very good. The blacked out bezels and sidepipes are a nice touch too!

Limey SE wrote:How good is the Chrome on that Hood Ornament I have inserts to put back on it ?

The chrome is very good. It always bothered me that the inserts fell out.

76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 77cruiser Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:40 am

After looking at this I'm thinking if this is something I want to do on my 77 Monte.
77cruiser
77cruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:22 pm

pila wrote:I believe you can use just the head lamp plug for the upper 4- head light harness.  The top lamps have the high & low beam, like the round lamps.  You can clip the lower lamp wiring off, or tape them to the bundle.

Is this accurate? That makes me one step closer to getting the Laguna nose on my '77. !!
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Dinomyte wrote:
pila wrote:I believe you can use just the head lamp plug for the upper 4- head light harness.  The top lamps have the high & low beam, like the round lamps.  You can clip the lower lamp wiring off, or tape them to the bundle.

Is this accurate?  That makes me one step closer to getting the Laguna nose on my '77. !!

Yes, the (upper) low beam light works fine. On the quad light setup this ligt has the three prong plug. With quad lights, the low beam light switches to high beam too. This is what I have done with my car with the dual lights, just used the low beam plug and left the high beam ones disconnected. On my car there is actually a harness plug just before the light plugs. The light harness is actually just a very small harness that connects to this "master" plug all in front of the rad support. My guess is this allowed for the factory to easily adapt the wiring for dual or quad light, with a different harness for each setup since 1976 had both lighting options. I may make a new harness later on to clean it up or possibly run a relay to get more power to the lights.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:33 pm

Some folks on another forum have re-wired the head lights with heavier gauge wire, along with a relay.
The relay is powered by the light switch of course.
 Anyway, it's claimed that the new wiring & relay have made the lights much brighter, which makes sense, since the factory wiring was never very heavy gauge to begin with.
I want to re-wire mine that way also.......new lamp sockets, wire, and a relay...
Only thing I'm not sure about, is the protection of the built in self-resetting circuit breaker in the light switch, which wouldn't help much if the relay craps out etc...
Maybe a re-settable circuit breaker between the lights & the relay ??

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:37 am

Tony & Pila - thanks guys. This is very valuable information for me.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:46 pm

After thinking about the relays, it would have to have separate relays for High & Low beams......not that it's a big deal once the mod is underway.
And relays are fairly cheap.....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:12 am

After reading all the info on the stacked headlights, I have a question that I was wondering if anyone has an answer for. I have a complete front header and bumper that I want to make into a wall hanging. I have the whole wiring harness back to the firewall. my problem is that I want to covert it to 110 volt house current. Every power source converter I have tried is not powerful enough to run all 4 headlights and the parking lights in the bumper. Any ideas?
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Rather than go they the expense of getting the proper inverter, you could just use incandescent bulbs, ones for a chandelier. And make your own harness with socket ends that accept the hose hold bulbs. Trying to light up the existing 12 v headlights would be too bright and give off some heat if lit for long periods of time. I'm not sure, what would happen if you plugged a 12v headlight bulb into the wall, it would light up just wouldn't be bright....which could also be okay then... Or it would just blow out...
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by JKK Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:54 pm

you should try led bulbs!!! they require a lot less current.

JKK
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:55 am

76 Malibu wrote:Finally got the headlights converted and new header sans hood ornament.  Filler panels worked perfectly.

Before Stacked to Round headlights and Shaving Hood Ornament - Page 2 Malibu11

After

Stacked to Round headlights and Shaving Hood Ornament - Page 2 Img_6410

Looks Awesome! Nice job.

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:41 am

That's the look I like also, and that's a very clean look, but too late in the game to do it now. Maybe down the road I'll come across the stuff to switch mine.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:01 pm

I like the look as well. Very smooooth.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:40 pm

Love it.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:14 pm

X3!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next