G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want to replace "headlights are on" warning buzzer

+3
pila
JiMi_DRiX
orange Juiced
7 posters

Go down

Want to replace "headlights are on" warning buzzer Empty Want to replace "headlights are on" warning buzzer

Post by dhw3971 Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:49 pm

For many years the "You left your headlights on, dummy" warning buzzer has not worked on my station wagon. After suffering through enough dead batteries in the last few years I want to replace it, but I have no idea what it looks like. Also, I'm not sure where to buy a new one. CAn anyone help?
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Want to replace "headlights are on" warning buzzer Empty Re: Want to replace "headlights are on" warning buzzer

Post by thatfnthing Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:07 pm

There's this, but I don't know if it's the same one...

http://www.opgi.com/monte-carlo/1973/ignition-electrical/electrical-wiring/PP00270/
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Want to replace "headlights are on" warning buzzer Empty Re: Want to replace "headlights are on" warning buzzer

Post by dhw3971 Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Hmmmm, yes, I've seen that under my dashboard AND for sale on a few places. I just want to make sure I'm spending my money on the correct part...
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:52 pm

Was this standard on our cars? I don't recall this on mine, just the fasten seat belt buzzer.  scratch 
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:25 pm

Yeah I've never heard of that one either!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:59 pm

Got it on my Monte.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:58 pm

Some auto parts stores had them in the 90s.  I should probably get a couple too....but not for 48 bucks ! I'll look around for the simple one that just clips on a fuse in the fuse block...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by dhw3971 Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:41 am

I may try this link (http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t24604-how-to-headlights-on-buzzer); looks cheap and easy!
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:22 pm

That looks like the way to go. Those relays & sockets are not that expensive. I used one for my fuel pump...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:34 am

That does look like a neat tip. I might use the one about rigging up a chirp for the directionals -- when I upgraded to LEDs, I had to get an electronic flasher, which makes no noise. So I could use an audible reminder so I'm not that guy who's diving 50 miles with the blinker on. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:52 am

I will be stopping at radio shack this wk end. LOL, I left my lights on this morning but got a call from a coworker to turn them off.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by dhw3971 Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:09 am

I visited my local Shack last night and got most of the supplies for about $25: wire, blade connectors and the buzzer.  They did not have the relay, but was told it was available as an online only item.  The item number for the relay is 55064959 and the cost is $4.99.  http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=25058456

The buzzer I bought is item #273-794 (might show as 273-0794 on package); that differs from the directions shown in the link I posted.
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:06 pm

If you're planning to ever add anything else electrical, you'll likely need another relay in the future, so it's more cost effective to buy in bulk off ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pack-30-40-Amp-Relay-Wiring-Harness-SPDT-12-Volt-Bosch-Style-S-/181473540590?pt=US_Relays_Sensors&hash=item2a40aa79ee

Radio Shack is like a convenience store -- if they have it, it'll cost you twice as much.

thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Too bad you didn't wait another day. I brought this one home today and it tests out fine. Could have saved you some time and money.

Want to replace "headlights are on" warning buzzer 7377mi11
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down