G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swapping out points for Electronic conversion

4 posters

Go down

Swapping out points for Electronic conversion Empty Swapping out points for Electronic conversion

Post by Wallyuph Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:55 am

I have a friend that has several 60-80's cars and he was asking if I had ever Swapping out points for Electronic conversion. He's looking for the points conversion for the stock distributor as he wants to keep them as close to original as he can. He said "I'm tired of replacing or filing points as the cars sit for a long time but some times when he takes one out of storage he has this issue.

I was looking for some advice to give him and this is the best place I know for help or advise.

Thanks Wally
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Swapping out points for Electronic conversion Empty Re: Swapping out points for Electronic conversion

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:14 pm

Popular Pertronix brand comes to mind. Always meant to do this on my '67 Cougar, but have never gotten around to it. From what I remember reading, it's a pretty simple conversion.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Swapping out points for Electronic conversion Empty Re: Swapping out points for Electronic conversion

Post by dynchel Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:24 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Popular Pertronix brand comes to mind.  Always meant to do this on my '67 Cougar, but have never gotten around to it.  From what I remember reading, it's a pretty simple conversion.
Same deal with my '60 olds.  On my '74 I just changed to a HEI dizzy (since I don't care about originality on that one)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:42 pm

I have used several pertronix kits. Both on ford and Chevy. They are easy to set up and work really well. I have a converted points distributor out of my nova still on my shelf.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:47 am

Will the ballast resistor bypass, during starting, cause problems with these electronic ignitions was his fallow up question?

Thanks for the help guys.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:53 pm

No they recommend you keep that wire. When I did mine, I used the Pertronix coil so I was able to eliminate the ballast resistor too.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:58 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:No they recommend you keep that wire.  When I did mine, I used the Pertronix coil so I was able to eliminate the ballast resistor too.  

Thank you
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down