Dead tach....need tach filter?

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Re: Dead tach....need tach filter?

Post by Mcarlo77 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:06 am

I discovered another husband/wife gauge and clock repair service earlier this Spring called Redline (www.redlineg.com) in TN. Bought a used '79 Corvette tach from them on e-Bay that they tested and calibrated before shipping to me (I wanted to use the board and coil to do the conversion on one of our tachs). Maybe I'll contact John there and pose the question.
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:28 am

I had my tach done in April by Tach man and I thought it was all good until last night when I took the wife down to the ice cream shop for a treat. The tach started acting erratic and when we got there, then I turned off the lights and it started working normally, lights on jumped 1000rpm, turned signal on jumped all over, turned the brights on really jumped all over the place. It didn't do this when I installed it. The tach must be getting extra signal from the dash lights. I will pull the cluster out, inspect it and put it back in to reseat the plug. hopefully it will take care of it. Clanceman Let me know if tou have the same trouble.
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:39 am

Thanks SS tool man, as soon as i get it installed I will put it thru those same paces to make sure.

Looks like he gives a 2 year warranty in case it's his work is at fault. Hope it's a simple fix for you.
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:32 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:I discovered another husband/wife gauge and clock repair service earlier this Spring called Redline (www.redlineg.com) in TN.  Bought a used '79 Corvette tach from them on e-Bay that they tested and calibrated before shipping to me (I wanted to use the board and coil to do the conversion on one of our tachs).  Maybe I'll contact John there and pose the question.

I purchased the tach I used for the gas gauge conversion from them and it worked great. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again.
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:34 pm

clanceman427 wrote:Don't know the answer to that one.  We need someone here to run an experiment.

My memory is foggy but I think I had my factory 73 tach hooked up to HEI years ago and it worked fine. HEI is long gone and running MSD system. It does work with a MSD box if anyone is wondering. My tach does work but is not as responsive as a aftermarket unit. I'm running a SUN tach for that reason, easier to see also. No good if you are going after the factory look though.

I got a chuckle out of the tachman's "solid state" board. Haven't heard that term in years. I don't recall the tachs having tubes. Not tryin to sound like a smart a$$.
73ss
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitchell Murphy on Sat May 05, 2018 8:41 am

Gary the "Tach Man" did one for me for my 1973 el Camino SS 454 and it worked great. The price was 250.00 on mine. With shipping it to him and getting it back was about a week. I think you will be pleased in the long run.

Mitchell Murphy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6