front brake upgrade

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

front brake upgrade

Post by driveit on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:51 pm

looking for recomendations for rotor and pad upgrades using stock calipers. tight budget!
avatar
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by dynchel on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Just get some quality ceramic pads.  Any rotor upgrade would be expensive, and honestly you would probably not feel any difference.
avatar
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by thatfnthing on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:34 pm

John's right -- ceramic pads are better as they don't suffer from brake fade when they get hot. Rotors only need to upgraded if they squeal with the new pads.
avatar
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by Joe73 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:41 pm

try an ebay seller brakemotive76 he has a store on ebay and a phone number in case you dont see what you need. Prices are real good for ceramic and drilled and slotted rotors. I've installed over 4 sets already and no issues. Rotors are nice heavy quality. I did my buddies buick lesabre (discs all around) for $172 shipped. It included 4 rotors and all the pads.
avatar
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by JB2wheeler on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:03 pm

I am losing my memory pretty fast because of my age, but I think I remember that 76 and 77 models had larger rotors than 74 models. I have all the info here that details brake upgrades from every angle and I can no longer read. I have this info catagorized where I could lay my hands on it in 5 minutes. The only way I can use a computer is by remembering the keyboard and use Windows Magnification at 400%. My biggest problem is losing the mouse pointer so often. JB
avatar
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by 73CopperMonte on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:24 pm

I used my original calipers on Astro van spindles w/12" rotors. I pulled the front lower control arms and spindles off a 91 Astro, replaced the ball joints and bushings and bolted right on. Down side is the 5x5 full size bolt pattern. You could probably use 12" 1LE Camaro rotors with the Astro spindle and control arm to get the 5x4.75bolt pattern.

73CopperMonte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by driveit on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:38 pm

I had the two inch drop spindle on the front I just bought last year. I also put on new stock replacement calipers. I ran out of cash for nice pads and rotors. I just want a better performing stock sized rotor and upgraded pad. What size is the rotor? Also I was told at the parts store to stay away from ceramic pads as they would not stop me as well. I am a bit confused.
avatar
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by dynchel on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:17 pm

driveit wrote:I had the two inch drop spindle on the front I just bought last year.  I also put on new stock replacement calipers.  I ran out of cash for nice pads and rotors.  I just want a better performing stock sized rotor and upgraded pad.  What size is the rotor? Also I was told at the parts store to stay away from ceramic pads as they would not stop me as well.  I am a bit confused.
Don't stop as well!!!!?  I think you need to find a different parts store.  All new vehicles come with ceramics (low dust, no noise)  std on corvettes.
avatar
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by driveit on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:23 pm

Joe73 wrote:try an ebay seller brakemotive76   he has a store on ebay and a phone number in case you dont see what you need.  Prices are real good for ceramic and drilled and slotted rotors.  I've installed over 4 sets already and no issues.  Rotors are nice heavy quality.  I did my buddies buick lesabre (discs all around) for $172 shipped.  It included 4 rotors and all the pads.  

Do you have a link to their page?
avatar
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by driveit on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:25 pm

dynchel wrote:
driveit wrote:I had the two inch drop spindle on the front I just bought last year.  I also put on new stock replacement calipers.  I ran out of cash for nice pads and rotors.  I just want a better performing stock sized rotor and upgraded pad.  What size is the rotor? Also I was told at the parts store to stay away from ceramic pads as they would not stop me as well.  I am a bit confused.
Don't stop as well!!!!?  I think you need to find a different parts store.  All new vehicles come with ceramics (low dust, no noise)  std on corvettes.

They also gave me the wrong shoes and had to make another 45 minute trip to town for the rear brakes we finished today. Morons! They know nothing unless their computer tells them.
avatar
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by dynchel on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:18 pm

Where are you going?  Napa's tend to hire some morons (at least in Ohio) but it seems your guys would have to be promoted to the title moron.
avatar
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by thatfnthing on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:55 pm

dynchel wrote:Where are you going?  Napa's tend to hire some morons (at least in Ohio) but it seems your guys would have to be promoted to the title moron.

Ditto on that. And ceramic pads will squeal with inferior rotors -- Napa sold me some crap rotors for my wife's Nitro and you could hear the car coming a mile away. Mad Once I upgraded to EBC rotors, no noise.
avatar
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by 73CopperMonte on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:23 pm

I used Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramic size D52 pads on my Monte, and my other three vehicles have Wagner qc pads. No dust and a lot of miles, been using them years. Without increasing the rotor diameter from 11" to 12"+ for more rotor surface or a 2+ piston caliper upgrade for more clamping power, there wont be much of a upgrade.

73CopperMonte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by driveit on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:29 pm

73CopperMonte wrote:I used Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramic size D52 pads on my Monte, and my other three vehicles have Wagner qc pads. No dust and a lot of miles, been using them years. Without increasing the rotor diameter from 11" to 12"+ for more rotor surface or a 2+ piston caliper upgrade for more clamping power, there wont be much of a upgrade.

How much where those? I assume the 74 monte would be the same pads as a 74 chevelle.

Oreilly auto parts. They usually do good, but they guys that helped me just looked like hs kids.

Thinking of this rotor.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-br-62002r/overview/year/1974/make/chevrolet/model/malibu


Oh... Just realized that was 65$ea. dang... Sad


avatar
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by pila on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:36 pm

I've had two G3 Chevelles and 4 G3 El caminos, and didn't really ever have an issue with front brakes, and I drive FAST in places where I can !
That's not to say an improvement isn't a good idea of course.....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by driveit on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:13 pm

My fronts get way too hot and I am getting dust everywhere. Front wheels and chrome are always black. I can smell the breaks when I get to work. Its only a 15 minute drive!
avatar
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by driveit on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Anyone used these?  Think they would be ok.  The one I spoke to yesterday showed me pads the were around 65$  I like the price on these better, but would they be a dramatic upgrade from a stock pad to go with a drilled and slotted rotor?  These are only 16$
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/axt-axcd52/overview/year/1974/make/chevrolet/model/malibu



Also found these for 30$
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-bp-00520c/overview/year/1974/make/chevrolet/model/malibu


I want this thing to stop like a new car! I know I probably need to go with discs on the rear, but I can't go that far yet.
avatar
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by dynchel on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:22 pm

driveit wrote:My fronts get way too hot and I am getting dust everywhere.  Front wheels and chrome are always black.  I can smell the breaks when I get to work.  Its only a 15 minute drive!
Are you sure you don't have a caliper hanging up or hose blockage?  You shouldn't be able  to smell the brakes unless you are really hard on them or there is another problem.
avatar
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by driveit on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:15 pm

There was no back brakes at this point and I was doing some dramatic braking.  They were heating up.  They are not dragging or sticking.
avatar
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by dynchel on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:18 pm

That will do it, over working the fronts.
avatar
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by driveit on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Is this where you say bump?
bump...

driveit wrote:Anyone used these?  Think they would be ok.  The one I spoke to yesterday showed me pads the were around 65$  I like the price on these better, but would they be a dramatic upgrade from a stock pad to go with a drilled and slotted rotor?  These are only 16$
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/axt-axcd52/overview/year/1974/make/chevrolet/model/malibu



Also found these for 30$
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-bp-00520c/overview/year/1974/make/chevrolet/model/malibu


I want this thing to stop like a new car!  I know I probably need to go with discs on the rear, but I can't go that far yet.
avatar
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by dynchel on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:17 pm

I'm not familiar with that brand, but they should be a improvement from what you have now.
avatar
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by driveit on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:44 pm

I have been reading and found this.

As brake technology continues to evolve, more and more auto manufacturers are outfitting their autos with ceramic pads right from the factory. Ceramics are a great option if you're a regular commuter who doesn't run quarter-mile sprints or weekend warrior track days. Two great options are the Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads or Hawk Performance Ceramics along with a host of other pads listed below. Ceramics not only last a long time, but produce less brake dust, keeping your wheels looking sharp.

Although ceramics offer the latest technology, this doesn't necessarily mean they are the greatest pad for all conditions. The aftermarket brake world still holds metallic pads near and dear to their hearts with aggressive variations and mixed metallic compounds. Many performance companies like Brembo Brakes and EBC Brakes continue to offer semi-metallic pads because of their performance capabilities. In fact, many track pads are semi metallic, known for their great initial bite and consistent brake pedal feel, providing excellent driver feedback. Mated with deluxe brake calipers and stainless steel brake lines, metallic pads can bring the speediest racers to a commanding halt.

Still unsure and need additional direction on buying the appropriate brakes? Check out our Brakes Buying Guide for more information.
avatar
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by pila on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:57 pm

I think you need to get the rear brakes fixed & working before condemning your front brakes. They DO add to the braking action, even though the fronts do the majority of the stopping power.
Also, the tires have a lot to do with how well the brakes can bring high speeds to a stop......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by driveit on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:35 am

Tires are new cooper cobras. Rear brakes are done. The fronts are just needing to be replaced. both rotors were somewhat grooved previously and need to be replaced. One of the pads I found have completely cracked into two pieces. I just really want to upgrade them. I want to be able to stop better than my wife's dodge journey. That will be a challenge.
avatar
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake upgrade

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum