G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to purchase seat covers

+14
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
crice63
pila
Hawk03
1973montec
Hs1973
1973 454 MONTE
Wallyuph
Limey SE
bitterfitter
77mali
Dinomyte
dynchel
73lagunanut
18 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Where to purchase seat covers - Page 5 Empty Re: Where to purchase seat covers

Post by clanceman427 Thu May 25, 2017 1:00 pm

For those who've done their own seats, did you end up trimming excess material off the covers where the metal clips go around the metal frame, and spill out over the plastic seat back?  I left the excess material for now.  I'm ready to add the edge trim to finish the seat, but I'm a little leery putting the razor blade to the seat cover if you know what I mean Smile. If it's OK to do, my plan was to trim off the excess then knock the trim on.  Is this what you guys did?  

Where to purchase seat covers - Page 5 Imag2110

Last edited by clanceman427 on Thu May 25, 2017 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Thu May 25, 2017 1:11 pm

And here are the Mopar headliner clips I bought off eBay . They work good. They have a lead in that makes them easier to install. I hope they retain the finish trim satisfactorily. The stock seat cover used 29 clips. I ended up using 45 total to try to take out as many wrinkles as I could.

Where to purchase seat covers - Page 5 Imag2111
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu May 25, 2017 8:24 pm

I ended up folding mine up inside before I put on the clips in just a couple of areas. Most of the upholstery had just enough material to install nice and snug without trimming.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Fri May 26, 2017 11:01 pm

Ah thanks G3chevy. I'm gonna leave it for now and not cut it just yet.

Good news on the Mopar clips, they work great with the edge trim!
I still need to address where the upholstery piping of the headrest meets the edge trim, I'm guessing it needs to tuck under the edge trim but stuff was really tight in that transition zone and I left it as-is for now. and of course the extra upholstery material sticking out from behind the edge trim can be seen.

Where to purchase seat covers - Page 5 Imag2113
Where to purchase seat covers - Page 5 Imag2112
Where to purchase seat covers - Page 5 Imag2112
Where to purchase seat covers - Page 5 Imag2114
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Fri May 26, 2017 11:01 pm

Where to purchase seat covers - Page 5 Imag2115
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri May 26, 2017 11:47 pm

Your seats are looking great! Yes, the headrest area was the hardest part to install the trim. I actually tapped mine on with a rubber mallet to seat them properly. It looks okay but not perfect.

Where to purchase seat covers - Page 5 Img_2012
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat May 27, 2017 6:12 am

Nice job.
I'm wondering about the plastic seat bases and how GM made the decision on the base color for the neutral interior. The swivels that came with my car, another 73 SS I parted out and a 73 monte I parted out, all with neutral interiors and swivels, all had brown plastic bases. Matched the rug in all the cars. None were Canadian built that I recall.
I wonder if it was a Canada thing to have neutral bases.
I have seen Cutlasses with the neutral bases several times.
Wonder how GM decided.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Sat May 27, 2017 9:18 am

Very interesting. What style do you like better? Think I prefer the Canadian style! Also interesting is that my original rear shocks have CANADA stamped into them.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Mon May 29, 2017 8:25 am

Guys I just realized something- instead of cutting the excess spillover,  maybe I shoud have wrapped the upholstery around the sides of the bucket seat frame WITHOUT the plastic seat back in place, install the metal clips, and Then install the plastic seat back so that any spillover could tuck behind the plastic seat back.  Then install the edge trim as the final step.  I bet that would work better with no need for cutting. What do you guys think?
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon May 29, 2017 8:32 am

I actually like the brown bases better. They blend in with the dark carpet. The seat stands out more instead of your eye noticing the base. Wish I had a pic of mine with the door open to post a pic.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon May 29, 2017 12:07 pm

Yes, the excess material can be covered by the hard plastic back cover which is one of the last steps of assembly. It will not be visible once the job is completed. I've also read on another forum that someone used headliner glue on the lip where the clips are installed to ensure the upholstery stays tight after installation. I will experiment with this on my 75 El Camino later this summer.

Where to purchase seat covers - Page 5 Pass_s10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Mon May 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Gorgeous g3chevy! Thanks for the first bro, and keep posting up once you get into your seat job this summer.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattler Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:17 pm

Ok. I signed up for this forum for this specific thread. I am currently installing some of the OPG seatcovers on some 1974 swivel bucket seat bases for my friend's 1973 SS he is restoring. I worked at an auto upholstery shop years ago but remember quite a bit of things from then. One thing I really remember is how my boss told me mid-70s GM swivel buckets are some of the biggest PITAs to work on. I remember cutting patterns for a set but that was about it.

I got the rear seat covers on with no problems. They just need some steam to get some waves out from sitting in a shipping box a while. Piece of cake.

We started putting the front covers on (we left one assembled for reference). The foam isn't too bad but after getting the covers on I think I will be going back and adding some foam to the middle sections of the tops. They seem to be sewn with some excess around the edge. Not a problem there.

We were fighting the covers thinking that the supplied welting would be for holding the covers in place but luckily we still have to old covers and we will be retrieving the clips off from it.

I also debate maybe taking the old mounting welt off the original covers and have it sewn onto the new covers too. My old boss is still in business but does 99% boat canvas work now but he will do it for me. I just picked up an old Pfaff industrial machine but I still need to get familiar with it.

I wish I would have seen this before Eric bought his covers about the Acme ones fitting better but I am sure I can get them to look good. I know I will be more fussy about them than he will.

These covers are probably going to make that headliner seem easy after they are done! I was never a big fan of those ribbed, cement-in headliners either. I am enjoying this resto since my first car was a '74 Chevelle waay back in the early 80s. I wish a lot of the parts available now were available back then!

Oh yea. His covers didn't come with the cording in them either. I used some 14 gauge wire instead but I may pull it out and get the wrapped stuff. I curled the ends around and wrapped them with electrical tape.

I will report back on how it goes. Thanks for the info.

Rattler
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:27 am

Sinister
Sinister
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:43 am

http://www.78ta.com/HTAF/index.php?topic=40856.msg421279#msg421279
Sinister
Sinister
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:24 am

I've been going through this for the last couple months.   A lot of other forums recommend, Acme headliner.    They sell everything for car interiors and everything for our cars.  I recommend them for anything we need. http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/absheadliners.html

Their website is not great nor does it show everything they have.  Their email replies have gotten way better.  I currently have a 37 message long email with them for my interior.  They are wholesale only.  They have an online vendor page and rock auto is one of them.  But rock auto doesnt list everything Acme sells.   Acme recommended gbodyparts.com for purchasing.  I've dealt with the owner Brian and he has been great.  Very knowledgeable.  I was ready to place the order and the emails stopped from him.  About a week later he responded that something came up and I've been dealing with their customer service which also has been great.  I sent all my part numbers to each online vendor that Acme recommends.  Gbody came in with the best prices with the exception of the headliner.  I ordered my headliner from rockauto after speaking with Hawk03 on this site.  His info was right on.  The rockauto "Acme" headliner was correct for my car right down to the neutral color for my interior.  The 5 bows are metal and they have these plastic clips that are snapped right onto the bows.  You can slide the clips easily into position.  The clips were already installed on the headliner, so when you receive the headliner, its ready to go in.  They even gave me extra headliner material which is more than enough to cover my sunvisors if I decide to.  So I recommend ordering the headliner from rockauto.  Cost me $83 to my door from rock auto.  Its shipped directly from Acme.  

Acme has all the correct patterns and grains.  Right down to the buttons on our seat uprights.  And they even list the no arm rest and arm rest listings correct for each year of our cars.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5