G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to purchase seat covers

+14
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
crice63
pila
Hawk03
1973montec
Hs1973
1973 454 MONTE
Wallyuph
Limey SE
bitterfitter
77mali
Dinomyte
dynchel
73lagunanut
18 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Where to purchase seat covers - Page 2 Empty Re: Where to purchase seat covers

Post by clanceman427 Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:04 am

Maybe it depends on the year and how the hard plasic seat backs assemble? For example on my 73, there are no screws that hold the plastic seat backs to the frame. The factory sewn on cover border captures it. But on g3chevy's thread, he mentions that small screws hold the plastic to the frame, at least in the front. I'll post some pics of my seat today to show this.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:07 am

The one Anthony picture does have teeth on inside, it's an offset clip "s" shape instead of g3chevy's "u" shape
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:56 am

Here is a few pictures of my original 73 seat. Note that the plastic back is one piece, and does not screw to the metal frame, it is catured only by the trim border of the seat cover. Also note the close up photo of how the trim border is stitched to the original seat cover, not separately snapped on after the cover is installed. One more thing to note is my 73 has 2 buttons on the upper part. I will probably have to re-use mine, as I don't know if the new covers come with new buttons.

Where to purchase seat covers - Page 2 Imag1112

Where to purchase seat covers - Page 2 Imag1114

Where to purchase seat covers - Page 2 Imag1115
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Where to purchase seat covers - Page 2 <a href=Where to purchase seat covers - Page 2 Image18" />
While we're talking about seat covers, can you guess tell me how many different designs there was for swivel seat upholstery?  These are the 2 I have but I don't even know for sure what cars or years these are from. I think the white ones are from a 1976 Laguna.
Reason I ask is I am looking to order new covers for my car but they don't have to be original. So I am open to any year or make. Even Olds, Buick, etc.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:14 pm

Excellent question, I bet there are dozens of variations within companies, by year. For example, g3chevy's covers are (I think) 442 covers for 73 but they don't have the buttons like my 73's do, but looks like the same number of vertical ribs
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:00 pm

For those who have recovered their swivels, any recommendations as to BRAND of foam that is good quality and fits well ?? Thanks
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi Joe, I'm under the impression that the only supplier is PUI for the foams, but I defer to those who have already done this. I know that G3chevy had to add some additional store-bought foam to help fill out the covers he got, on top of the new foams he bought (made by PUI?). can't buy direct from PUI, but Tamraz on Ebay has them in stock.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:42 pm

I gotreally really Lucky with the New SE it had the swivels done last February Whewwwww But its red interior now not black oh boy

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:24 am

When I researched new foam for my seats I found that PUI was the only company out there offering these. I'm not sure if that has changed but the PUI brand is the set I used for my upholstery project. They are slightly different from the originals. The upper foam is about a half an inch more shallow under the head rest which makes the upholstery fit loose. In addition, the upholstery kit had about a half inch more material in the same area so the green foam was used to build it up to take out the slack. Another option would be to take the seat covers to a good upholstery shop and have the slack taken out for a more exact fit. Hopefully another company other than PUI will start to manufacture these more closely to the original foams.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:10 am

Great info. Thanks
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Joe73 wrote:Also take a look at ebay.  I remember there being a seller in california, if I remember correctly, who makes a complete kit of front and rear seat covers with all colors and both grains available.  Price was reasonable but they state there is a lead time because they make them as you order them.  No sitting around on the shelf.

Those you are talking about are made by Acme Auto Headling.  They are in Long Beach, California.  I want to order a set from them but I wonder if anyone else has already?  I want to make sure they fit nice and come with the windlace around the side.  I just ordered my headliner from them earlier this week and would have asked them then when I had the guy on the phone but didn't know they were the ones making these.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:11 am

I'll be able to report back in 2 weeks. I just ordered seat covers thru Quality Auto Interior. Although Larry at quality auto interior told me that my covers are made by Acme. I worked with Larry over the phone and I emailed him multiple photos of my original seat to make sure the new ones would match. I specifically asked about the attaching border and the buttons on the seat back. He didn't think they would be wrong but I have trepidation because I wasn't talking directly to Acme.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:30 am

Thanks for the heads up. Please post what you find once they arrive. I am very interested.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:10 pm

I just confirmed through my receipts from 1A-Auto that my upholstery kit was indeed manufactured by ACME. The part number was U274-4560 but I custom ordered these with perforated vinyl inserts very close to how the original Laguna seats came from the factory. I also noticed that when I did a search on 1A-Auto's website, they no longer offer upholstery kits for whatever reason. However, Rock Auto carries ACME upholstery kits for our cars for an even better price than what I paid back in 2014. For the price, you can't beat the quality and fit of these kits. The PUI kits I've seen first hand are fair at best. Hope this helps.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:15 pm

Now I just have to compare the prices between rock auto and quality auto interior to see which I will be ordering from.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:54 pm

my fronts only were 289.95 for the covers, and 329 total, and that included 40.00 insured shipping and handling. To confuse you more, when you call Quality Car Interiors phone number which is listed on their website, it states that they are Vintage Ford Truck Parts, and Quality Car Interiors. OK, a merger of some sort. Then to talk to someone about the seat covers, you are sent to Larry Charpentier, who is helpful over the phone. The emailed Invoice that I received is from Charp Industries, LLC out of Tustin, CA. And Larry mentioned that my seat covers are coming from Acme, in Long Beach, CA. Hehe.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:56 am

PUI used to get there foam form American cushion industries I believe. It's great foam cold cured and made in USA. They do not sell to the public but its the best foam My Upholster friends and I have used. They are not cheap for the foam. I used new foam in the Laguna I just sold.The two front buckets foam cost me 299.20 shipped to my door. You can get it cheaper from other places that do more volume than my shop. Here is a finished seat with new foam. Upholstery was done by my buddy as I did not have time to finish it. Most of the time if using there foam and covers don't fit right its who ever made the covers. Most took apart a old stretched out seat made a pattern and call that close enough when it sort of fits. To make a good fitting cover you need foam made in a mold so it will be the same every time. Then it takes 3 mock up cover made by the time all adjustments are made before the final pattern can be used to make the final seat covers. Most Upholstery shops wont take that kind of time to do this as its not cost effective. The final pattern then should be transferred to chip board for future seats if that's what you are going to be producing. Now you know why I stopped doing cars a few years ago. Its not profitable to business this way. I'm sorry to get on a rant.

Where to purchase seat covers - Page 2 <a href=Where to purchase seat covers - Page 2 Seat_c10" />
Where to purchase seat covers - Page 2 <a href=Where to purchase seat covers - Page 2 Img_4410" />

I have had great luck with any thing out of acme. They are one of the few that are still adding more older stuff and years to there product line up.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:52 pm

What is the difference between the '73 and '74-77 seat upholstery? There is a $13 difference between the years on Rockauto. With a 5% discount the total for the 1973 upholstery is $318, which seems pretty good for a complete front and rear set.

1973 Chevelle
Where to purchase seat covers - Page 2 Malibu10

1977 Malibu
Where to purchase seat covers - Page 2 Malibu11
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:28 pm

I just received my seat covers from Rock Auto. I couldn't be any happier. The covers look great, they included the color matched wind lace for around the seats, and also sent new buttons, hog rings, hog ring pliers. These covers came in less than a week also. A+ all the way.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:28 pm

Cool what year did you order?
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:03 pm

I told them I had a 1976 because the seats I am recovering are from a 1976 Laguna and they have the pattern I like. I still have a black set of covers from PUI that I want to compare. Definitely not the same quality.

I also got my shipments of rear package tray, headliner, and visors. Lots to do now. Just waiting on my opera window trim to show. Cars really coming together.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:48 pm

My front seat covers came today.  They look nice.  Came with 96 hog rings (48 per seat) which should be ok.  Pliers that came with it look a little rinky dink but hopefully they'll work ok.  Side piping came separate, not stitched to the covers.  No clips for the new side piping at all, which is OK since I saved My old ones  but just be. aware if you order from them no clips come with kit.  Did come with new color keyed buttons, my 73 has 2 per seat.  They give you 6.  They attach like a cotter pin vs. the stock pin with round slip nut.  Can't post pic because I'm on my phone.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:31 pm

Everything is 100% true that he says. I have so check again though because I thought I did receive clips. I will check it out this evening.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:03 pm

I was mistaken. No clips supplied. No worries though. Just going to use the old ones.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:44 pm

They supply the buttons and you have to install them? That would be fine with me, I'd prefer seats without them.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next